Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
But didn't that generator have a pulse type fuel pump?
No fuel pump. I plumbed the hose from the Attwood tank directly into the gravity-fed line from the built-in tank you can see going between the recoil starter and air cleaner. It was a standard 6' hose and dropped about 2 feet to a coil on the same level the generator stood on, and then ran back up to the carb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank You Tabora. I've heard a lot of people say this will work but haven't tried it. Your post is proof positive it can and will work. How many hours have you run it on a remote tank without shutting it off?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thank You Tabora. I've heard a lot of people say this will work but haven't tried it. Your post is proof positive it can and will work. How many hours have you run it on a remote tank without shutting it off?
The generator was typically run for 5-6 hours from about sunset to about midnight or 1AM, but on occasion would be run for longer than that. On subsequent evenings on the same weekend, no re-priming was required. We refilled the tank as needed from 5 gallon portable tanks, so it was not typically disconnected from the generator for years at a time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You've made a believer out of me. I'm gonna get me a boat tank and plumb it into my Champion 3400. Probably will be a while but I'll let everybody know how it does. Thanks Again. Oh, and I assume I'm gonna need a 3 way valve so the boat tank doesn't overfill the generator tank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here are the latest pictures of my creation. I'm going to build a better platform on top of the generator for the gas tank to sit on but otherwise this works great.

From a connection standpoint, it goes:

Carburetor : 3/16 Hose, Fuel Filter, 3/16" Hose : 3-Way Fuel Switch

3-Way Fuel Switch is secured to an off-the-shelf bracket from Home Depot and the bracket is zip-tied to the generator.

3-Way Fuel Switch Up goes to 3/16" Hose to the Onboard Gas Tank

3-Way Fuel Switch Down goes to (1/4" hose, Bronze 1/4" Barb to FIP Adapter, Attwood Universal Sprayless Male Fitting.

Gas tank NPT connection connects directly to a Attwood Universal Sprayless Male Fitting.

Fuel Hose to connect Generator to the Portable Gas Tank: Attwood Universal Sprayless Female Fitting, 3/8" Hose, 3/8" to 1/4" Bronze Adapter, 1/4" Hose, 1/4" Primer Bulb, 1/4" Hose, 1/4" to 3/8" Bronze Adapter, 3/8" Hose, Attwood Universal Sprayless Female Fitting.

I'm going to create 2 more fuel hoses: (1) a longer fuel hose to provide more flexibility with placement of the Portable Gas Tank in relation to the Generator location and (2) a fuel hose with 1 side having the Universal Sprayless Female Fitting and the other end with a Shutoff Valve so I can use the Portable Gas Tank to fill my lawn mower and snow blower.

Thanks again everyone for all the comments.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's one way to go. I used a quick-connect T with just a shutoff on the feed from the built-in tank.
I had commented in this thread earlier and forgotten about it. I was looking through some of my generator stuff, and had got some gas cap adapters so I could do an extended run on a little Honda EU2000. It literally sucks fuel out of an external tank into the little onboard tank, so is rather simple. I was thinking of modifying a gas cap for the tank on my big EB11000, but looking at it I just don't think it seals tight enough, to allow for venting. Some years back I had placed a T fitting inline, with a shutoff ball valve so I could drain the tank if the fuel stayed in there too long, using that in my mower and putting fresh in the generator. I had started another thread and came to the realization that I could relocate my existing T and shutoff, to the other side of the factory shutoff, and in my drain line place a QD for an inlet, and then use a much bigger tank so I can get an overnight run with this rather thirsty unit, 20 HP Honda twin. I have the parts on order and will probably do the plumbing next week. Don't know why I did not think of this years ago. I don't know how strong the little fuel pump on the engine is, so will test everything to determine if I need to raise the tank off the ground so gravity can help, or just leave it on ground level, I am planning on about a 10' fuel line so I can keep it away from the generator and possibly add more fuel while the generator is running, By using the ball valve on my T, along with the factory fuel shutoff and the way I have it planned out, I can actually isolate the two tanks or possibly feed from them at the same time, a 5 gal factory tank plus a 12 gal external should give me a good run time.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts