Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Champion 3000 watt run generator. When I start it it has 120 volts 60 Hz at 3600 RPM. The problem is I only have 1100 watts, I called Champion and they did not get back to me yet. I hope someone can send can help me out .I did a natural gas conversion 6 years ago and it ran fine, I trayed to run on gasoline and got the same results

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the exact model of the gen?
and what is the meter that you are using?
and what is your exact load?
It is a Champion 46595 3500 starting watts/ 3000 rated watts. I am using a1500 watt heater for my load. When I get to about 1200 watts it starts to die. I will send picture of gages with the load on the generator.
I loaded pictures but don't know where they went. I used a KILL A WATT meter and a no name tack for my rpm's.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Do you have an in-line spark tester you can keep in place to check for intensity. Pull the plug and check it’s condition. If your spark is weak lowing the electrode gap should have a positive effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have an in-line spark tester you can keep in place to check for intensity. Pull the plug and check it’s condition. If your spark is weak lowing the electrode gap should have a positive effect.
I run on natural gas and have the gap set at .017. I have been running the generator for years and put in a new spark plug about 2 hours ago on the hour meter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id check your valve clearance and look into a weak ignition coil.
I changed spark plugs and got about 200 more watts. I have to much money in this thing to take it to shop. I guess I will scrape it out and get a new one.
Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I changed spark plugs and got about 200 more watts. I have to much money in this thing to take it to shop. I guess I will scrape it out and get a new one.
Thanks for all your help
how good are you with a multi meter?
yea i suspect a bad winding.
or loose connection inside the gen head.
pop off the gen head end cover and take a look.
also check the connections in the plug panel..

you could have an over crimped crimp end.
it pinches off several of the conductors when that happens...
reduces the output..
look for over heated wires etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Champion teck had me remove brushes ,they lookrd ok. So I cleaned them and put them back.He thought they my be worn and said he was going to send me new one and also a AVR. I started the genarator and pluged in space heater,I can now get1800 watts and 15 amps. Ihope the new brushes get me back to normal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts