Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a 6 circuit reliance protran 2 transfer switch installed indoors with the 30 Amp hookup on the side of the house. Based on what I am reading the transfer switch does not switch the neutral. Everything I am reading says I need to have a floating neutral in order to work correctly, however the champion 100520 inverter gen set I purchased has a bonded neutral. 2 questions I have:

1) maybe since it's a newer model genset, I can't find any info/videos on how to convert to a floating neutral, has anybody ever done it on this particular model genset?

2) I tried to hook it up as is to do a power outage simulation and test everything and my generator goes into overload. Would having the wrong type of neutral (bonded vs. Floating) cause this? I had a second electrical company out and they verified the wiring was done correctly from outside to panel.

Thanks for any help/input you can share

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, yes I have watched that video. They are almost identical inverters, but when I remove the front plate on my 100520 I see nowhere on the plate where there a connection between a yellow-green and a white neutral together to separate. So there is where my confusion sets in. There are white wires on the panel, but I am not sure which to disconnect

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch. I found the connection. Just had to go back out and really start tracking wires thoroughly. It's on the bottom of the plate and there's not much slack on any wire. Had to lay down to see it. Too much clutter on the work bench

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes there was continuity between neutral and ground bolt before removal. No continuity now. I'm pretty confident that should complete the change. Please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes there was continuity between neutral and ground bolt before removal. No continuity now. I'm pretty confident that should complete the change. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Yup, if you followed the instructions to the letter and now you no longer get continuity between neutral and ground, I believe you have achieved your goal. Good work!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the assistance. New to the forum, not a super ton of info out there for the 100520, I hope if someone else has the same question, they stumble onto this thread. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
549 Posts
2) I tried to hook it up as is to do a power outage simulation and test everything and my generator goes into overload. Would having the wrong type of neutral (bonded vs. Floating) cause this? I had a second electrical company out and they verified the wiring was done correctly from outside to panel.
No, the N-G bond would not cause an overload condition (assuming wiring is correct which has been verified by electrician now).

What loads are you trying to run? Could be that you just have too many breakers turned on at the panel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, the N-G bond would not cause an overload condition (assuming wiring is correct which has been verified by electrician now).

What loads are you trying to run? Could be that you just have too many breakers turned on at the panel.
Also, I would check the wiring of the cord between the generator and the inlet box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a 6 circuit transfer switch. A thru F. 4 of the 6 are general lights and outlets those seem to be fine As soon as I turn on "c" or "f" it goes into overload. C is the fridge and F is the sump pump dedicated and no running. You are correct though it did not solve the overload issue. I just tried to test. I have a 10' cord that came with the transfer switch and a 50' cord I bought separately. Both give the same result

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know you said you had the wiring rechecked, but the transfer switch being wired incorrectly will cause an overload on the gen. Verify the red wires from the transfer switch are wired to the circuit breakers in your breaker panel and the black wires are wired to the load (I.e. the wires that were originally connected to the circuit breakers). I’m pretty sure if the black wires are wired to the circuit breakers instead of the red, an overload will occur. You can confirm the correct wiring by referring to the protran manual.

Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering Technical drawing

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will consult the instructions again. Question though...if something wired incorrect, and they were all wired the same, why would 4 of the 6 circuits work but 2 dont?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK now it seems I'm pissed at two different electric companies. It appears the installer put the black transfer switch wires to my main panel breakers, and then wire nutted the house black wire to the red. So not only do they not have any red on main panel breakers, a second electrician and electrical inspector missed it. Would there be any reason they did it this way?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts