Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stihl MS310 chainsaw was in the shop (a place that sells and works on Stihl saws) about 6 months ago with starting problems. The carb was replaced with new OEM carb and the it has started and ran fine since then - except 3 days ago when it wouldn't even fire. I checked the ignition spark first, and it was ok. The plug was also ok, but noticed that it was wet with fuel. I assumed the saw was flooded and left the plug out over night and even blue out the cylinder with air, all to no avail. I pulled the carb out and checked everything including main fuel jet and needle valve - all ok and carb was very clean. I used nylon fishing line to check all openings and jets. I reassembled the carb and saw fired one time, but didn't start. I didn't check the high and low speed valves since they were set at the shop and haven't changed, but maybe one of them could have become clogged however . Anyway, this definitely appears to be fuel related. I would have taken the saw back to the shop, but with the virus still very prevalent, I didn't want any public contact. Does anyone have any idea of what else might be causing this problem ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did you have the saw in a hot shed? Seen plenty of times where the heat will force fuel and fill the crankcase. Reassemble it. Pull the plug and pull the starter and see of fuel sprays out of the cylinder. Put the plug back in, hold the throttle wide open and attempt to start. If it was floaded, do not choke it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have the saw in a hot shed? Seen plenty of times where the heat will force fuel and fill the crankcase. Reassemble it. Pull the plug and pull the starter and see of fuel sprays out of the cylinder. Put the plug back in, hold the throttle wide open and attempt to start. If it was floaded, do not choke it.
Thanks for your input. I took the saw to the shop and the repair guy got it running quickly. He said the saw was flooded, and got it running by by removing the plug and blowing compressed air into the cylinder while pulling the crank rope - exactly what I had done earlier without success. I guess he had the magic touch though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for your input. I took the saw to the shop and the repair guy got it running quickly. He said the saw was flooded, and got it running by by removing the plug and blowing compressed air into the cylinder while pulling the crank rope - exactly what I had done earlier without success. I guess he had the magic touch though.
Excellent. yeah if you flood it where the crankcase fills with fuel youll immediately wet the plug as soon as you put it back in. But if in the future it happens again do as I said above. I dont know if you start your saw safely on the ground or drop start it as I do (dangerous to some). But drop start with throttle held wide open will usually get it going and it will smoke like an old freight train until it clears up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quite often, I hear about such problems from my friends. I recently got a chainsaw, so, unfortunately, I will not be able to answer your question with the accuracy of a professional user. The only thing that I have realized so far is that this is a very convenient thing in the household. It is a great discovery for me that with the help of a chainsaw from wood, you can make all sorts of decorative and interior items. For example, I recently came across an article How To Cut Wood Slices With Chainsaw - Trim That Weed, which explains how to make wood slices with a chainsaw. It very inspired me because I have always loved various interesting interior items. So it's a beneficial thing, and I would like to learn more about how to solve similar problems like yours, so I will wait for answers with you

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pretty often I hear about such problems from my friends
A lot of the time its user error though. Every two stroke has its own personality in my opinion and all start differently. I literally can tear motors apart and rebuild any chainsaw. But the other day I fix my buddies string trimmer, go to start it and no go. He takes it from my hands does what he says is the way it will start and boom running in no time lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts