Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am old time electrical electrical electronics maintenance person.
Notice I said maintenance person.
So here is what has brought my question to you folks.
This week I dropped my electric shaver.
Because it was the only one I had, I decided to see if I could fix it.
I took it to my work bench and opened it.
Every time I activated the switch it tried to run.
Further investigation revealed that the motor had a broken wire that made momentary contact by movement.
I heated up the solder iron and while waiting for the iron to heat up I took a closer look at the "Motor".
I discovered it was a capacitor.
Every since I found the capacitor I have pondered how a Cap can store enough energy to act like a motor.
I am aware of the boost a cap gives a motor to start, but to run a piece of equipment?
Now maybe some of you folks can help me see the light here.

·
Super Moderator
161 Posts
Did you solder the broken wire? Did that fix the razor?

I'm assuming it is a cordless razor. Any cordless razor will have some kind of motor or a servo that converts electricity into movement that makes the shaver shave. Any cordless razor will also have some means of storing electricity to run that motor or servo. That has traditionally been a battery of some kind, likely a nickel/cadmium, a nickel/metal/hydride, or a lithium ion. Maybe some of the newer ones are powered by a supercapacitor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapacitor

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Hmmm... it needs to have a motor. Something that spins or vibrates or something... right? Pictures?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already buttoned it up for use.
I did not look at it that close.
I soldered the broken connection and snapped it back together.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not an EE. I believe capacitors store energy by building up a voltage on elements separated by insulators. The more surface area of those elements, the more Farads of capacitance (relating to how many amps it could provide for a period of time). And the more insulation there is, the greater the voltage it can store.

My Panasonic razor uses a linear motor, not rotary. This video shows it a bit. It would probably just have something like coils, with an element moving back and forth amongst them. I don't know if it would just look like a capacitor, but it might not look like a normal motor anyways.

https://channel.panasonic.com/contents/26382/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts