Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Generac 200A Automatic Transfer Switch (RXSW200A3) when I built my house anticipating that in the next year I would install and connect a 22kW Generac generator to it. After Hurricane Ida came thru last year, I had lots of friends and family who have Generac generators that had many problems with them working properly or at all during the power outages from the storm. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the Generac ATS to work with any non-Generac generators?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Installed a Generac 200A Automatic Transfer Switch (RXSW200A3) when I built my house anticipating that in the next year I would install and connect a 22kW Generac generator to it. After Hurricane Ida came thru last year, I had lots of friends and family who have Generac generators that had many problems with them working properly or at all during the power outages from the storm. Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the Generac ATS to work with any non-Generac generators?
Great question, I’ve never researched it but I’d imagine that kohler standbys for example operate on the same principles as generac. Worth reading into.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I'm just a homeowner, but I've read that PSP makes a two wire start converter unit, KGC-1 , that adapts a Generac transfer switch to a 2-wire start generator. Not cheap.

Yeah pricy, but awesome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great question, I’ve never researched it but I’d imagine that kohler standbys for example operate on the same principles as generac. Worth reading into.
I don't think so. In the Generac setup, the brains are in the generator and the transfer switch is (mostly-they do load shed) dumb. I think it's the opposite for many others. The generator is a two wire start and the brains are in the transfer switch.

I've got a new (this past summer) 22kW Generac. Hoping for the best. Still have portables and interlock, so that's a backup and for saving propane, and money, during extended outages. We had a short outage while we were home, and it's very cool to just wait a few seconds and the lights come on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Kohler uses the 2-wire start/stop signal. The genset has 2 signal wires running to the ATS. When those 2 wires are connected together by the ATS, the gen starts. When the 2 wires are not connected together, the gen shuts down. There are programmable delays for start-up and shut-down but that's basically how it works. The Generac ATS uses a different method. My Kohler is a towable unit so the permanent Kohler installs may be different. I went thru this trying to find an ATS that was readily available. Wound up with a Thomson ATS. Seems to be a decent unit.

BTW, the Honeywell ATS is the same as Generac and both would have necessitated the special converter gizmo to work with my genset.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I see, Im just recently scratching the surface on standby control systems. 2 wire start makes a lot more sense then generacs 3 wire system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts