Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Google likes to send me recommended articles and today it gave me a link to CR's best and worst Inverter generators. Problem is, I don't have access to their reporting. About the only think I can see is that the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 made their worst list. That's the generator I purchased last year... So now I'm wondering which generators they tested and what their list from best to worst looks like and possibly why. I'm mostly wondering why the Q6500 made their worst list.

Anyone have access to CR and if so, would you mind doing a quick Cliffs Notes version for us?

By any chance might this article be w ripoff of the CR report?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a CR subscription. So for inverters:

Honda, Yamaha = good
Echo, Ryobi, Westinghouse = meh
Briggs, Champion, Generac = more meh

Yeah, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 in the "large inverter" category was way below Honda and Yamaha. The major issue was power delivery, and secondly power quality. Basically it cannot deliver what it says, and struggles at surge loads.

So I don't post anything not allowed, the "large" category only included 3 generators.

That red color brand was a 66
That blue color brand was a 51
Your gray color brand was a 32

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
well every one in here knows i bleed red!
GRIN!
sort of a meh on the blue for me...
I have yet to see the blue guys power as good as the red koolaid!

·
Registered
406 Posts
IME CR only tells you the most expensive which is usually the best. USUALLY. Honda is top of the line no question.

The real question is frequency and duration of outages where you are? Second question, what are the "sensitive electronics" which you feel require an inverter to feed them? I've gotten along well for years with open frame non inverter generators feeding flat screen tv's, computers, etc. I have read of situations with super sophisticated heating systems and Frig's that wouldn't work on open frame units. yeah, I'm a majority of one here.

I actually know someone who bought a top of the line generator based on the "inverter, sensitive electronics, hype." The most sensitive thing he had was a flat screen TV which he paid $600 for at WalMart. Maybe paying $2,000 to protect a $600 item makes sense?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well if the only thing you care about in an outage is a TV, then yeah your priorities are out of whack. I assume he also has a fridge and eats though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything seems to have sensitive electronics these days.. My fridge has all kinds of feature that work with a microprocessor..... gaming systems, tvs, stereo, routers, printers, ****, even my Drinkworks machine that makes mixed drinks for me... I don't know how much harmonic distortion is considered safe, I heard under 6%, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't know how much harmonic distortion is considered safe, I heard under 6%, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
In A/C generators, under 10% is adequate, under 5% is good and under 3% is great!

Reactions: iowagold

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I’ve found consumer reports to be Mostly worthless. Especially regarding power equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have found CR to be helpful but really within context of the catagory and it has gotten less-connected to reality over the years in my opinion.

That said, I think that their ranking of large inverter generators is spot on. But then, that's an easy assessment.

I have the EU6500is and it is a rock solid unit in every way. Currently running from a 500 gal LP tank at it's second residence and after also running on gasoline and Natural gas -- also flawlessly.

Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
That would be my ideal generator - a EU6500IS with a propane conversion. No need for fuel injection with propane.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Hondas seem to be the elite standard for generators. They are reliable and work well. The only down side is you can tell Honda is real proud of them, if you get what I mean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts