Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new home A/C unit by American Standard.
2.5 ton 16 Seer R-410A Single Stage

According to my Sense unit, the running wattage is 1800 and the startup peak is 2900. It's entirely possible (probable) that my Sense monitor isn't fast enough to catch the actual surge watts, although it is updated every second.

Does anyone know how to calculate what is needed for the initial rush of an A/C motor? OR anecdotal evidence is fine too. If you have a similar sized central A/C unit with similar running wattage (1800W) numbers, what sized generator did you buy to cover it?

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes that's the one, but it doesn't seem to be pulling that much (??)

But to my point, does that mean anyone with a 'lowly' 10,000 watt generator can't run that? I don't think that's accurate.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts

According to my Sense unit, the running wattage is 1800 and the startup peak is 2900. It's entirely possible (probable) that my Sense monitor isn't fast enough to catch the actual surge watts, although it is updated every second.

Does anyone know how to calculate what is needed for the initial rush of an A/C motor? OR anecdotal evidence is fine too. If you have a similar sized central A/C unit with similar running wattage (1800W) numbers, what sized generator did you buy to cover it?
what is the exact model on the air con unit?
is it inverter?
and what voltage?
and does it have the txv valve (i think that is right)
that valve that lets the compressor freewheel on start up.
those are cool for inrush.

·
Registered
670 Posts
IMHO if you're concerned about inrush or, for that matter if you're running an AC with a portable, just install a soft start kit. They're not that expensive compared to a new compressor and could prolong compressor life. Nice video, and sets the stage for the tech to sell a soft start kit. The value captured to "allow the homeowner to decide," does get your attention. I wonder if the tech will explain that the value captured is only there for a fraction of a cycle *While the compressor motor starts to turn) and typically drops to the steady state value in 30-40 cycles unless it's a large motor?

·
Registered
10 Posts

All about the meter you are using. Cheaper units are not made to “catch” that split second quick jolt. I have 2, a cheaper Mastech $100 one and a $300 Testo 770-3 that has a specific “In-Rush” setting. The Testo catches it every time. The Mastech is hit and miss. Of course most electricians will tell you no meter can truly accurately get it every time…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts