Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the forums here. I've been thinking about making/building my own compressor out of different parts because the one compressor I did have (Central Pneumatic 21 Gallon) wasn't keeping up with my requirements. But seeing how the pump/motor just blew up on me today I figured I would salvage what I can and go from here.

The pump on this unit is ALSO the motor, it's all one piece and probably proprietary to the brand (go figure).

So what I would like to do is buy a motor and a pump separately and mount them to the tank and use the old control switch if possible.

I want to keep this on 120V 20AMP circuit. What's the best option for me here?

I'm going to use the old motor mounts to make a flat platform for the new motor and pump to mount to.

I don't need a ridiculous amount of power or air but maybe just a bump up from the original specs (2.5 HP motor with 4.7 CFM @ 90PSI with a maximum working PSI of 125)

Can someone recommend me a decent pump/motor combo for this 21 gallon tank?

20210203_115001_400.jpg

20210203_115830_600.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
jefferywdonald,

You are not going to get a lot of performance improvement possibility staying with 120 VAC. 1.5 HP is the most you can get out of a 20 amp 120 volt circuit. You can only use 80% (16 amps) of the 20 amps available or you will blow the circuit breaker. This is a NEMA code rule for the wire, outlet, plug and circuit breaker rating. If this is a single line to one outlet I would convert it to 240 volt (an Electrician can explain how to do this) but if other outlets are connected (and usually there are) all would be upgraded to 240 volts yikes! The pump in the picture has such a small platform that it is impractical to upgrade motor and/or air pump. What are you doing that requires so much air? sand blasting? Painting cars? 1.5 HP is good to fill tires and blow off stuff for the average homeowner. I would recommend that a separate wire be run with at least 10 gauge wire to a single 240 volt outlet and a 30 amp breaker to start.

Stephen

Hello everyone, new to the forums here. I've been thinking about making/building my own compressor out of different parts because the one compressor I did have (Central Pneumatic 21 Gallon) wasn't keeping up with my requirements. But seeing how the pump/motor just blew up on me today I figured I would salvage what I can and go from here.

The pump on this unit is ALSO the motor, it's all one piece and probably proprietary to the brand (go figure).

So what I would like to do is buy a motor and a pump separately and mount them to the tank and use the old control switch if possible.

I want to keep this on 120V 20AMP circuit. What's the best option for me here?

I'm going to use the old motor mounts to make a flat platform for the new motor and pump to mount to.

I don't need a ridiculous amount of power or air but maybe just a bump up from the original specs (2.5 HP motor with 4.7 CFM @ 90PSI with a maximum working PSI of 125)

Can someone recommend me a decent pump/motor combo for this 21 gallon tank?

View attachment 8740

View attachment 8741

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fall into the same situation at times.... Fix what I have. You have a Harbor Freight unit. Pretty much bottom of the line. A good pump will run you about $200 and up. A new motor, $150 and up. Now depending on a pulley set up, You are looking at a $400 to fix what you have. HF has a few compressors for half that. Mostly 4 cfm. I agree with Stevon. 220 is a good start to get more volume. Building your own is fun, if it is balanced and works, but may cost more than a new unit.

Guessing you are not close. I have a spare pump I could sell you cheap. What ever you do make sure you have a working pressure relief. Air tanks can be a bomb.

·
Registered
341 Posts
jefferywdonald,

On 12 gauge wire you can run 16 amps at 240 volt. The most you can get out of it is a 3 HP @ 9CFM at 100 psi to run non stop and not overheat the wiring, plug and circuit breaker. With 10 gauge wire you can get a home user type Dewalt DXCMV5048055 5 HP at 22 amps @ 17.0 CFM at 175 psi. Running non stop this would not overheat the wire outlet or breaker on this setup.

I would buy a good used compressor, I bought a Sanborne (store quality) 5HP 2 stage, 60 Gal for $350 with a light duty Italian T29 pump. It's 20 years old and still working fine as a light hobbyist user. I like to fix/rebuild compressors as a fun project but that doesn't mean it is the fastest most practical or the cheapest solution. It all depends on what you are trying to do and how much tools, skills, workshop and time you have. For most, a sale at Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor supply, etc. is the smoothest way to get an air compressor for their needs.

Stephen

·
Registered
341 Posts
jefferywdonald,

I checked my records, I only paid $250 for the used rusty Black Max 2 stage and the guy selling it thought that I was paying too little. He thought he had an IR or Quincy quality compressor (it wasn't) I'm sure it was $299 on sale or for less new at Lowes 20 years ago!

Stephen

·
Registered
341 Posts
jefferywdonald,

Hello! I am interested on the finned air tube coming off of the pump. My Sanborn is leaking and I could use it if you are not using it, is $10 a fair offer?

Stephen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts