Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping someone can help. I鈥檓 an electrician, not a mechanic. 馃槉 I have a B&S Elite 8000 generator doesn鈥檛 want to start. The first day I got it, it started right up and ran like a dream. Now, it doesn鈥檛 have much spark when I turn the key. There seems to be plenty when I pull the cord, and it tries to go. If I just touch the key for a second, it has spark, but not enough to start it.

Registered
When was the last time you ran it? Did you use ethanol free and add stabilizer? If not for quite a while and no and no it鈥檚 likely that the carburetor needs a cleaning. Dutchy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.It was maybe 3 weeks. I do use ethanol free gas. Funny thing is it wouldn鈥檛 start one day, and the next day it did, now it won鈥檛 again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked the spark plug resistance. On a good Fluke metre, it鈥檚 saying 0.7 ohms. It鈥檚 a Torch plug. Never heard of them before. Thinking that鈥檚 a good place to start.

Registered
From another thread: My Champion gen came with a Torch E6RTC, Chinese special I'm sure. They show a NGKBPR5HS in the owners manual as a alternative. I have also found where Champion L87YC crosses with the TORCH. Dutchy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From another thread: My Champion gen came with a Torch E6RTC, Chinese special I'm sure. They show a NGKBPR5HS in the owners manual as a alternative. I have also found where Champion L87YC crosses with the TORCH. Dutchy
Actually what I found for NGK is a BP6ES, I鈥檒l check the manual. Thanks.

Registered
check the battery...
make sure it load tests ok.
there has been a rash of bad new batteries as of late!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check the battery...
make sure it load tests ok.
there has been a rash of bad new batteries as of late!
Thanks. Battery seem good, it cranks over good. Change the plug today, and got it started. Still harder than should be. I鈥檒l try again in a couple of days. I鈥檒l load test the battery then.

Registered
charge the battery for at least 24 or more hours.
then re test

have you checked the valve lash?
and have you cleaned the exhaust screen?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
charge the battery for at least 24 or more hours.
then re test

have you checked the valve lash?
and have you cleaned the exhaust screen?
Thanks. I鈥檒l charge the battery, exhaust screen is good, not sure what the valve lash is.

Registered
Reactions: iowagold

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Intake Valve Clearance .005 - .007 in
Exhaust Valve Clearance .005 - .007 in
That鈥檚 getting into more than this old electrician can do. 馃槒 If I have to go that far, I鈥檒l have to take it to a shop. But thanks for the input.

Registered
That鈥檚 getting into more than this old electrician can do.
It's really very easy... Takes about 15 minutes on OHV B&Ss, Hondas and clones.

How to Adjust Overhead Valves
  • Step 1: Remove spark plug and valve cover.
  • Step 2: Turn the flywheel to close both valves.
  • Step 3: Insert a narrow screwdriver into the spark plug hole and touch the piston. Turn the flywheel clockwise past top dead center until the piston has moved down 1/4". Use the screwdriver to gauge the piston's range of motion.
  • Step 4: Check the valve clearance by placing a feeler gauge between the valve head and the rocker arm. Verify clearance, engine models include valve clearances in the operator manuals. Refer to Repair Manuals for valve clearances for older engine models.
  • Step 5: Adjust the clearances as required by turning the rocker screw. Once adjustments are completed, tighten the rocker nut.
  • Step 6: Install the valve cover, using new gaskets, as required, and make sure the cover is secure. Reinstall spark plug.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts