Power Equipment Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I had a flashback last night... I've had a champion 2000W generator for 10 or so years. It was ALWAYS very hard to start. I checked with the small engine shop in the area and they agreed and said they could clean things up and MAYBE make it a little better, but it was NEVER going to be quick and easy - and it FILLS the carb when you open the valve.
BUT, (that's not the flashback), I remembered last night that a couple years ago, when it got impossible, I went through the thing and pulled it apart. When I got the carb off, the bowl was full of strange, rusty-looking, deposits and corrosion. It actually looked like a boat with barnacles on the hull. Both jets were completely blocked with something that had hardened and didn't want to come out. So, I found a replacement carb on line and put it on. That got it working, and it worked for my next trip. then it sat. And 3 - 4 months later, no start. I could spray it with ether and it would pop and run for a second but not normal...
It's been sitting since.
I'd forgotten what the inside of that bowl looked like 'til I recalled it last night... I just never associated it with oxy gas.
gracie
on the champion;
remove the fuel tank, clean real good inside!! replace the hoses. as well as any fuel valves and fuel filters to the carb.
reclean the carb or replace it again.
you should be set
yea just cleaning the carb does not cover the trash in the fuel tank or hoses etc.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The all new Honda EU2200i is an amazing generator. To be honest amazing performance and very eye-catching design. But the thing is it is little costly. This model is easy to start and have lots of great features.
Yup, if it had remote electric start it would be near-perfect...

Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the gas is fresh? Not fresh from the gas can, but known fresh fuel from a gas station that does a lot of business. Draining the tank and putting in fresh, ethanol free gas would be one of the first things I tried. Even gas older than 3 months can give a small engine starting problems. Keep in mind gas at a lower volume gas station can sit in their tanks for weeks or months, then customers come and fill up their gas cans and they can sit in a shed or garage for a few more months. Before you know it, the fuel is old and less combustible, unless it was treated immediately after purchasing with Stabil or other fuel stabilizer. A running engine can still burn imperfect fuel, but starting an engine with bad gas is harder.
I have a 30 year old Honda EM 2500K which has been very difficult starting from the git go. I have to spray starting fluid into the carburetor if it has sat for any length of time. I have cleaned the carburetor bowl, use only non-oxygenated gas and add either Star Tron fuel additive or Sea Foam, to no avail. It still monkeys. I don't know if I should put a new carb on it or get rid of it. I'm an old person and afraid I will have a heart attack trying to start this pig. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 30 year old Honda EM 2500K which has been very difficult starting from the git go. I have to spray starting fluid into the carburetor if it has sat for any length of time. I have cleaned the carburetor bowl, use only non-oxygenated gas and add either Star Tron fuel additive or Sea Foam, to no avail. It still monkeys. I don't know if I should put a new carb on it or get rid of it. I'm an old person and afraid I will have a heart attack trying to start this pig. Any suggestions?
Does it help to keep the fuel tank filled? My old EM-600 is PITA to start as well. Always has been, and always will be. Hard starting seems to be Honda's trademark. They own the franchise on it. I do find that mine will require fewer pulls if I keep the fuel topped off. I don't know if it helps feed gas to the carburetor easier or what. But it helps somewhat. If I allow it to get below half a tank, I'll have to pull on the thing until my arm is numb. I can't believe the recoil starter has lasted this long.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hard starting seems to be Honda's trademark. They own the franchise on it.
@billt, you make a lot of noise on this subject, but I believe you are in the VAST minority holding this opinion. Honda engines are actually revered in most circles for being the easiest to start and for the highest reliability. That's why they are copied by so many others. As I have mentioned, all my many Honda engines routinely start on one pull or kick or instantly via electric start. All it takes is proper maintenance...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
put on a new carby!
and clean the fuel filter in the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’m with you there. All my Honda engines start at the second or third pull, if not the first. That is except my EU2200 inverter. I always run ethanol free gas with Amsoil additive and run or drain out the carburetor. It takes 6-10 pulls every monthly exercise run. I simply shut it down the last time, so I’ll see if it’s easier that way because it doesn’t need to be primed. I’ll update in a week or two... Dutchy
@billt, you make a lot of noise on this subject, but I believe you are in the VAST minority holding this opinion. Honda engines are actually revered in most circles for being the easiest to start and for the highest reliability. That's why they are copied by so many others. As I have mentioned, all my many Honda engines routinely start on one pull or kick or instantly via electric start. All it takes is proper maintenance...

·
Registered
79 Posts
@billt, you make a lot of noise on this subject, but I believe you are in the VAST minority holding this opinion. Honda engines are actually revered in most circles for being the easiest to start and for the highest reliability.
Really? You would never know it by reading this thread. Did you happen to read the title?
Brand NEW Honda EU2200 VERY hard to start
I get the fact you are a major Honda fanboy, and take it all but personally when anyone say's anything negative about your favorite brand. I've simply experienced the same exact issues as the OP..... Along with several others.

My 2200 is hard to start too, and I run the carb dry every time. Always use fresh gas with additive.
I understand your frustration. Same Honda issues here.
I have a 30 year old Honda EM 2500K which has been very difficult starting from the git go. I have to spray starting fluid into the carburetor if it has sat for any length of time. I'm an old person and afraid I will have a heart attack trying to start this pig. Any suggestions?
And none of this has anything to do with the units not having, "proper maintenance", as you suggest. Or "bad fuel". Or any other excuse you want to make. The fact is Honda's fuel systems are crap, pure and simple. I don't care if they incorporate fuel injection or anything else. It should not take 25 pulls to move fuel from the tank into the combustion chamber on ANY small gas engine. That's simply ludicrous. And I don't care if you run the carburetor dry or not.

Every other gen set I've come across, including both of mine, will fill the carburetor in seconds, by simply turning on the fuel petcock. And after you do so, they will light off on the first or second pull. Not Honda. Most every other manufacturer will incorporate a priming system of some type, (or else a dam choke that actually works), to help eliminate hard starting... Not Honda. But, as it's been pointed out, "you can add one". The same way you can add a dual fuel system. Something else most every other generator manufacturer offers..... But not Honda.

So....... You can pay 4 to 5 times as much for a Honda, that doesn't have the features that comparable output units do, that cost a quarter or a fifth as much...... Then, you can pay even more to, "add them". And void your warranty by doing so. I'm sorry, and you can call me crazy, but that simply doesn't compute with me. In fact it borders on ridiculous.

And I won't even get into the serious under volting issues that have surfaced in the other thread, that were of such concern to Honda owners, it started another thread of it's own to deal with. Now, you can make all the excuses you want for everything I have stated... All of which is fact. But in the end it doesn't change a thing for the people like myself and many others, who own these hard starting Honda's. Here are a few, in fact several more with the exact same problems. Are they just, "making noise" as well? And remember, these people all paid an extremely high premium for these things.

Honda Generator - Generator Won’t Start - Repair Parts | Repair Clinic

·
Registered
79 Posts
And for what it's worth, I had a Honda lawn mower back in the 80's, that started on the first or second pull. But that hardly matters to anyone above who is experiencing the exact opposite, does it? As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whoa..... It’s just my little EU2200 that’s been giving me some grief....but all my other Honda engines are incredible. Start all the time, even after sitting. But I take care of them. The beauty of the EU2200 is the fuel pump. Easy to make it into a long running version, but also tricky to get running after a long storage. Dutchy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
New problem... Generator starts reasonably easily now, and appears to run OK. I can't get the My Generator app to work.....

It won't pair... And YES, Bluetooth works. The car is paired, the truck is paired, the hearing aid adapter is paired, pairing WORKS.
Installed on Android phone.
Opened app.
Accepted.
Put in the serial number.
Told the phone My Generator CAN use it's location.
It SAYS, start the generator, be nearby, and pair within 30 seconds. Hit Next. The phone is a foot from the generator. I started the generator. It sits and spins and eventually says it failed.
NO, the generator is NOT already in the Bluetooth connections. Nothing that says Honda or EAMT or anything else.

I figure there's GOT to be something simple and stupid I've missed. What do I have to do to get this thing to work 'cause I'd like to be able to shut the generator down and I'd REALLY like to see the generator output.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd turn off Bluetooth and reboot the phone. Then turn Bluetooth back on. Sometimes it helps to reset everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
So far:
Turned bluetooth on and off repeatedly.
Rebooted the phone. AND turned bluetooth on and off repeatedly.
UNINSTALLED the Honda Generator app and reinstalled it.
Went through the whole process again:
entered the serial number.
got to the "Start the generator part". Did that. the screen that's showing the "bluetooth" symbol changed to a new screen saying it was pairing (I think). Then it says it failed and the only option is to Dismiss.
BUT, there IS an EAMT in the Bluetooth. And it APPEARS to at least SORT-OF work.
It now shows we've run it for an hour - shows 19 hours of oil life instead of 20. And I CAN hold the Shut off button and it shuts off. The ONLY thing it doesn't do is show load.

I may clear everything and try everything again tomorrow with fresh eyes to see if I'm doing something stupid.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts