Power Equipment Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ah yes, another hard starting Honda. Welcome to the club. This has plagued them since the 80's. I bought one of their EM-600 units back then, and it has been a horrible starting generator from day one. No primer bulb + no choke = hard starting. That is an equation that most every manufacturer knows..... Except Honda for some reason.

Also keep a close eye on your oil for fuel dilution. That is another thing they're famous for. Including their cars. Their "Earth Dreams" 4-cylinder engine has massive fuel dilution problems. It would appear that Honda needs a refresher course on how to make piston rings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Machines with fuel pumps that don't have electric starters usually should not be run dry for storage. It takes a lot of effort to re-prime them.
That’s what I’m thinking. I always run ethanol free and have a fuel additive mixed in too. Running it dry is probably unnecessary. Dutchy

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
No. The issue that we are having is due to running the carb dry and then needing numerous pulls to prime before it starts. Today it took 10 pulls to start and it ran like a champ as usual. When I shut it down this time I didn’t run the carb dry. I’ll start it again in a month and see if it will start with less pulls. I’m sure it will. I’ll update then... Dutchy
i am sure it will start in a pull or two dutchy.
you did have fuel treatment in the fuel right?

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my Honda the only way you can run the carb dry is to run the unit completely out of fuel. Otherwise the float bowl will remain full. There is no "Fuel Switch". Just an "ON / OFF" lever. No choke, and no way to prime the carb after it sits for long periods. If it sits for more than a month it can take a dozen pulls, in order to get enough fuel moving to get it to fire. And that is with the tank full.

If I try to start it with less than half a tank of fuel, forget it. You'll pull until your arm falls off. I took it in and their answer was, "Keep the tank full". Brilliant. In the photo you can see the left front rubber foot sitting in a puddle of oil and gas. Something else they told me was "normal". Perhaps I'll get lucky one day, and the dam thing will catch on fire and stop aggravating me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
do an external tank. and use an inline manual fuel shut off!
it would be an easy mod to do a 3 way fuel selector..
and do an port with a marine quick coupler for the external large fuel tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That EM600 is from the 1980s-90s, right? Not really comparable to the current generation Honda inverter generators...

However, the EM600 DOES have an auto-choke; yours may just need adjustment. See page 20 of your Owners Manual for the procedure.
I tried adjusting that bi-metal strip. It's supposed to be patterned after the old choke stoves on automatic choke carburetors that were on cars in 50's and 60's. They never did work worth a dam.... And neither does this one. You have basically 2 positions... Hard to start, or else impossible to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fixed.... I think... Pulled off the air filter housing and a little piece of something - it looked sort-of like a piece of a tie wrap, but not exactly fell out from the carburetor area. I don't know if it was in there or nor or where. It didn't look like it belonged anywhere, and the everything seemed fine. I moved the choke lever back and forth and it moved further BOTH ways... Closed the choke, pulled, started right up. FIRST TIME. Now when you open the choke it goes all the way to a little detent... Put everything back together, tried again, seems fine. I'll try it tomorrow after it sits overnight. Then I'll empty the carburetor and try it and see if it still takes a ton of pulls.

I watched a video yesterday of a couple guys taking one out of the box and setting it up..... Did gas, oil, fiddled - I'm watching 'cause I want to see how THEY'RE going to get it started, and one of the guys says "These things are really hard to start when there's no fuel in the carburetor, so here's what we do"... with the air filter out he grabs a can of carb cleaner, shoots some into the carb, and pulls the crank. Starts right up... all I could think was "Holy crap, even the guys that DO this say it's a PITA to start and use carb cleaner." I guess I'll put a can in with the generator to save my shoulder. THOUGH, HOPEFULLY, after my fiddling today it'll turn out to be fixed and much easier.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
good find on the trash!
yup
hard to say where that came from...
surprised the honda dealer did not catch that!
they are supposed to check and run each gen set at the time of the sale...
i would report them to honda customer service...
see if they at least send you a hat or a t shirt!

we have very little issues with the eu2200i gens or the eu7000is gens...
just make sure to run a magnetic dipstick, and hit your marks for service...
and try not to use ethanol fuel unless it is all you can get in your area....
if you do run ethanol make sure to use a real good fuel stabilizer made for ethanol...

in general ethanol fuel is a horror show...
super hard on the little aluminum carbs....
it is the salts and acid left over from the way ethanol is made...
over time it eats on the carbs when moisture is drawn to the dry ethanol...
then t gets fat and drops out the water, salt, acid from the emulsion...
i have pix here some where of bad carbs out of almost no hour gens after sitting 6 months with out fuel treatment..
I have 5- 5 gallon buckets of bad carbs all ate up from bad ethanol..
sorry for the rant..
bad day here 3 more carbs bad from bad ethanol fuel on clients equipment...
glad to have spare parts!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree on the whole Ethanol deal. What I can't figure out, is if the entire automotive industry can adapt to Ethanol based fuel, (up to and including E-85), why can't the small engine industry? It's not like this stuff is going away any time soon..... If it ever does. Cars and trucks can handle 10% Ethanol just fine. And have for the last 30+ years.

If anything, they are now pushing for upping the Ethanol content from 10% to 15%. So this will, in all likelihood, get worse, not better. Yet here we are, with just about EVERY manufacturer of small gas engines still producing engines with outdated fuel systems, that cannot handle Ethanol based fuels. And as far as I know, no one is even attempting to solve this problem with fuel systems that can handle Ethanol. Thus far none will without going to he!!, and causing a multitude of problems in a very short period of time.... Like the one's you've outlined.

Even the motorcycle industry, the outboard motor industry, along with the entire personal watercraft industry all can handle Ethanol based fuels just fine. You would think Honda, of all people would be the first to get on the ball with this. They manufacture motorcycles, outboards, as well as an entire auto industry, that all run on Ethanol based fuels...... But not their generators and other small power equipment. This can't be a Moon shot to make happen. And with what they're charging, it should have happened decades ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree on the whole Ethanol deal. What I can't figure out, is if the entire automotive industry can adapt to Ethanol based fuel, (up to and including E-85), why can't the small engine industry? It's not like this stuff is going away any time soon..... If it ever does. Cars and trucks can handle 10% Ethanol just fine. And have for the last 30+ years.

If anything, they are now pushing for upping the Ethanol content from 10% to 15%. So this will, in all likelihood, get worse, not better. Yet here we are, with just about EVERY manufacturer of small gas engines still producing engines with outdated fuel systems, that cannot handle Ethanol based fuels. And as far as I know, no one is even attempting to solve this problem with fuel systems that can handle Ethanol. Thus far none will without going to he!!, and causing a multitude of problems in a very short period of time.... Like the one's you've outlined.

Even the motorcycle industry, the outboard motor industry, along with the entire personal watercraft industry all can handle Ethanol based fuels just fine. You would think Honda, of all people would be the first to get on the ball with this. They manufacture motorcycles, outboards, as well as an entire auto industry, that all run on Ethanol based fuels...... But not their generators and other small power equipment. This can't be a Moon shot to make happen. And with what they're charging, it should have happened decades ago.
I'm guessing fuel injection helps, but there are very few generators or small engines using this technology for some reason. I'm guessing cost is a major factor. One more reason I like the EU7000IS over anything else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems like a major design oversight on Honda's part.. I fixed up a hyundai unit that also had a fuel pump. And it had a inline fuel primer. 10 pumps and two pulls. Done.
For the HUGE PREMIUM they should have thought thus through. Take it back and buy a yamaha.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
For the HUGE PREMIUM they should have thought thus through. Take it back and buy a Yamaha.
I agree. For the HUGE PREMIUM Honda charges for any, and all of their generators, they should come with a priming system, AND Ethanol based fuel compatibility.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree. For the HUGE PREMIUM Honda charges for any, and all of their generators, they should come with a priming system, AND Ethanol based fuel compatibility.
I've had LOTS of Honda engines since the 1970s. The only one with a primer is the GX25 on my Mantis tiller. I've never really had ANY issues starting the Hondas, but I tend to take care of them... I have always used 89 octane pump gas in all of them, so generally E10. Currently have:
  1. 2017 Honda HSS1332AATD snow blower
  2. 1987 HS80K1TAS snow blower (GX240 engine now on Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder)
  3. Mantis 7264-12-02 with Honda GX25
  4. CMXGWAS020735 pressure washer with Honda GCV190
  5. 1983 HR214SXA mower (converted to HR214SMA)
  6. HRM215K3SDA mower
  7. 1990 Honda XL600V
  8. 1988 NX250
  9. 1989 NX250 (Canada Model)
  10. 1988 NX125
  11. 1981 NX50
  12. 1977 CT90

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had LOTS of Honda engines since the 1970s. The only one with a primer is the GX25 on my Mantis tiller. I've never really had ANY issues starting the Hondas, but I tend to take care of them... I have always used 89 octane pump gas in all of them, so generally E10. Currently have:
  1. 2017 Honda HSS1332AATD snow blower
How do you like that snowblower? Is that the one with the tracks? Does it throw well? How about wet slushy snow?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed. And ever price replacement parts for a Honda? Hey, great stuff I agree but $300 for a carb?! Excuse me? I just don't see that they are worth the price vs a Yamaha. But, everyone uses their stuff differently, and has a different budget

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
How do you like that snowblower? Is that the one with the tracks? Does it throw well? How about wet slushy snow?
It's the best thing out there in the US (compares well to Yamaha if one is in Canada). Yes, the T means tracks. It throws very well. Now that the revised chute is installed, slush is not an issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's the best thing out there in the US (compares well to Yamaha if one is in Canada). Yes, the T means tracks. It throws very well. Now that the revised chute is installed, slush is not an issue.
That is a sweet machine! I have an older Toro Powermax 726 OE which has been a good blower so far, but it can get bogged down with the wet stuff. I'll probably replace it with a Honda when it goes.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Reactions: iowagold
21 - 40 of 74 Posts