Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NEW Honda EU2200. That was bought SPECIFICALLY because my old Champion 2000W was such a MASSIVE PITA to start.
Unfortunately, SO IS THE )(*&^% month-old, ridiculously expensive Honda.

Even more unfortunately, there were NONE available anywhere NEAR me, so I had to make the long trek to a place the DID have one to buy it. NOT one I EVER expected to have to make again once purchasing this praised-to-the-hilt by everyone I heard from unit.

It HAS GAS. It HAS OIL.

I run the generator and when I’m done I run it with the fuel closed so it empties the carburetor as the dealer told me to.
When I go to restart it a week later, I close the choke, Turn the switch on, make SURE it’s NOT in Eco mode, Open the fuel valve on the filler lid, wait a minute or 2 for the carb to fill (which I'm not sure it is), then pull the cord…

Nothing………. A dozen pulls later, NOTHING. Stand there for a while and look at it. Try again, NOTHING. I’ve now pull the cord at least 25 times.
OPEN the choke and pull. Nothing. Take the gas filler cap off to see if there REALLY is any. Yup.

Pull it AGAIN. Nothing. Maybe open the choke again and pull it and it POPS. Or not. At some point, close the choke and pull and it starts…………….
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Also, on the choke – and I don’t see anything in the manual about this – push to the left and it’s supposed to close the choke. Push to the right and it’s OPEN.
When push it to the left (choke closed) it eventually starts. When I move it to the right, it’s fine IN THE MIDDLE. If I push it FURTHER to the right, it slows down, runs ragged and very choppy.
Is THIS normal? Is the choke ONLY actually open when it’s in the middle?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah thats it, fuel on, choke closed, set it to on and it should start really easy with it being new and a honda. Then open the choke within a second or 2 of it being started.. It could have a bad spark plug I guess?

I have a cheap 2800watt generator and even from new it started up stupidly easy within a second of turning the key...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a NEW Honda EU2200. That was bought SPECIFICALLY because my old Champion 2000W was such a MASSIVE PITA to start.
Unfortunately, SO IS THE )(*&^% month-old, ridiculously expensive Honda.

Even more unfortunately, there were NONE available anywhere NEAR me, so I had to make the long trek to a place the DID have one to buy it. NOT one I EVER expected to have to make again once purchasing this praised-to-the-hilt by everyone I heard from unit.

It HAS GAS. It HAS OIL.

I run the generator and when I’m done I run it with the fuel closed so it empties the carburetor as the dealer told me to.
When I go to restart it a week later, I close the choke, Turn the switch on, make SURE it’s NOT in Eco mode, Open the fuel valve on the filler lid, wait a minute or 2 for the carb to fill (which I'm not sure it is), then pull the cord…

Nothing………. A dozen pulls later, NOTHING. Stand there for a while and look at it. Try again, NOTHING. I’ve now pull the cord at least 25 times.
OPEN the choke and pull. Nothing. Take the gas filler cap off to see if there REALLY is any. Yup.

Pull it AGAIN. Nothing. Maybe open the choke again and pull it and it POPS. Or not. At some point, close the choke and pull and it starts…………….
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Also, on the choke – and I don’t see anything in the manual about this – push to the left and it’s supposed to close the choke. Push to the right and it’s OPEN.
When push it to the left (choke closed) it eventually starts. When I move it to the right, it’s fine IN THE MIDDLE. If I push it FURTHER to the right, it slows down, runs ragged and very choppy.
Is THIS normal? Is the choke ONLY actually open when it’s in the middle?
How fresh is the gas? Is the spark plug gapped properly? You can take out the spark plug and see if it has a strong spark while pulling the cord. A warmed up engine will not require choke, a cold engine will require choke for a few seconds. Adjust choke as appropriate once it starts to run smoothly. A new Honda should not be giving you any issues if you are giving it what it needs. If you think it might be an issue with the carb, you can try take off the air filter and see if starting fluid makes any difference. If it does, you may have inadvertently gummed up the carb, even if you ran it dry. You can always take it in for warranty service and see what the Tech says.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
It’s not a gravity fill fuel system. It has a fuel pump. Once you run the machine with the fuel valve off youve emptied the carb. Now you need to pull it several times for the fuel to pump the fuel into the carb in order for it to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup... #4 got it right. Mostly. It's not "several times", it's a few DOZEN times according to the dealer... Called the selling dealer... The one with whom I had the original conversation that went something like: "I have a 2000W Champion and it's a MAJOR PITA to start. Takes a dozen pulls. I want something that STARTS EASY 'cause I'm TOO old to be dealing with this kind of crap." "Honda," they said. "Absolutely fantastic, starts better than anything, never have any problem, yada, yada, yada. Yeah, they cost 2-3 TIMES more than everything else does, but they're fantastic and will SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM." Guess who was stupid enough to believe them. 'Course, I also had dozens of responses in forums when I talked about what I was looking for that said the same thing... Would have been nice if SOMEBODY had said up front that if you follow the recommendation to ALWAYS keep the carburetor empty if you're not going to use the generator for a week, you'll have to spend a lot of time, and a lot of screwing around to get fuel in there and get it started.

I asked about the bizarre behavior of the choke - far left it appears to be closed, in the middle it appears to be off. Don't have a CLUE what it's doing when I move it to the far right - it bogs down, lopes, vibrates and generally runs "poorly". Talked to service at the selling dealer. They said, "Huh. Well you could bring it in for us to check." "And AFTER the 40 mile drive to get to you, are you going to fix it right away?" "Oh, no, we couldn't do that, you'd have to leave it."

Never dealt with these folks before. Hopefully, I'll never need to buy anything from them again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup... #4 got it right. Mostly. It's not "several times", it's a few DOZEN times according to the dealer... Called the selling dealer... The one with whom I had the original conversation that went something like: "I have a 2000W Champion and it's a MAJOR PITA to start. Takes a dozen pulls. I want something that STARTS EASY 'cause I'm TOO old to be dealing with this kind of crap." "Honda," they said. "Absolutely fantastic, starts better than anything, never have any problem, yada, yada, yada. Yeah, they cost 2-3 TIMES more than everything else does, but they're fantastic and will SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM." Guess who was stupid enough to believe them. 'Course, I also had dozens of responses in forums when I talked about what I was looking for that said the same thing... Would have been nice if SOMEBODY had said up front that if you follow the recommendation to ALWAYS keep the carburetor empty if you're not going to use the generator for a week, you'll have to spend a lot of time, and a lot of screwing around to get fuel in there and get it started.

I asked about the bizarre behavior of the choke - far left it appears to be closed, in the middle it appears to be off. Don't have a CLUE what it's doing when I move it to the far right - it bogs down, lopes, vibrates and generally runs "poorly". Talked to service at the selling dealer. They said, "Huh. Well you could bring it in for us to check." "And AFTER the 40 mile drive to get to you, are you going to fix it right away?" "Oh, no, we couldn't do that, you'd have to leave it."

Never dealt with these folks before. Hopefully, I'll never need to buy anything from them again.
Are you absolutely sure the gas is fresh? Not fresh from the gas can, but known fresh fuel from a gas station that does a lot of business. Draining the tank and putting in fresh, ethanol free gas would be one of the first things I tried. Even gas older than 3 months can give a small engine starting problems. Keep in mind gas at a lower volume gas station can sit in their tanks for weeks or months, then customers come and fill up their gas cans and they can sit in a shed or garage for a few more months. Before you know it, the fuel is old and less combustible, unless it was treated immediately after purchasing with Stabil or other fuel stabilizer. A running engine can still burn imperfect fuel, but starting an engine with bad gas is harder.

·
Registered
2015 F150 4X4; 1970 Olds 442; 2020 Mastercraft XT22
10 Posts
1.Based on the choke operation, you could have a clogged internal jet-restricting fuel flow.
Choke ON it will start then when you go to choke OFF it stalls BUT if you go halfway it will run. If this is correct you have the symptoms of a clogged pilot jet in the carb. Totally uncool with a new unit but that is one theory.
2.Other possibility is the fuel pump is not working properly, perhaps the line that powers the pump is loose or crimped. You will need to remove the side cover and inspect for this. If the pump is working the carb float bowl will be full. With cover removed you can find the carb drain screw and see (maybe after you inspect pump hose).

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
....If you are using the generator frequently don’t run it dry... The choke has a label explaining that toggled forward is ON and toggled back it OFF.

All my Honda’s start 2 pulls tops, after sitting for a month or so. Do you have a hard time starting the generator say, the next day if you don’t run It dry?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
you only have to run a honda dry if it is to be stored over 3 months..
it is normal to have to pull several times (20+)
there are other methods to prime the dry fuel system.
pm me if you need help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuel isn't from me. It's from the dealer - the thing hasn't been used for anything but testing because the weather here has sucked for 2 weeks! So, it's whatever the dealer put in. I have no idea if it contains Ethanol or not - I'd guess yes. But, in the real world, this thing is going to have to run on whatever I can find wherever I am - and "non-ethanol" fuel is getting harder and harder to find.

As for whatever is going on with the carb/choke... We HAVE a dealer here in town, and I'd have been happy to buy from them. Unfortunately, they didn't have any a month ago, had NO idea when they were going to get some, but KNEW it wasn't going to be for "a while". I may call them Monday to see if they can find out what's going any more expeditiously than the selling dealer.

As for hard to start - yes. It definitely takes at LEAST a half dozen pulls if it sits overnight. It appears that it takes a half dozen pulls if it sits 20 minutes while I'm doing other things.

OR, I may open it up this weekend and poke around. I presume I should be able to see if the choke is opening and closing normally...

I keep having flashbacks to the ancient 1965 Evinrude, manual start, we had on an OLD boat when I was a kid. To start it you had a big rubber bulb in the fuel line that you had to squeeze a half dozen times to get gas to the carburetor so you could start the thing... I thought things had evolved in the last 50+ years, especially for something this expensive. It appears I was wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Honda generator is fuel injected, so I don't have to worry about carburetor issues. I run it once a month and always use fresh ethanol free gas. Any gas that sits around for more than a few months gets dumped into the cars and I refill the cans with fresh. Never had an issue with my Honda, but I can see how it must be frustrating if it doesn't start after a few pulls. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon.

You can do a search for nearby ethanol free fuel in your area using this website below:

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2200 is hard to start too, and I run the carb dry every time. Always use fresh gas with additive. I’m thinking of not running the carb dry to see if it starts easier because it doesn’t need to pump up the fuel system so much?Takes a dozen pulls or more. I run it every month or so... Dutchy

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
you can always add a fuel primer to any system..
we use them on the berg style extended run system on the eu2000i and eu2200i gens so it helps prime the gen set!!
pretty cool!
pm me for parts and extended run build links!
working on video production series this year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its crazy, my £300 gen started within a second when started for the first time from new, using the electric start. And as long as I start the gen monthly it starts in about 1-2 seconds and thats without draining the fuel, as I dont think it does the engine much good keep starving it from fuel all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I understand your frustration. Same Honda issues here. Paul is right about a fuel priming system. I use one on my EU2000. It sits sometimes for as much as six months without starting, albeit without gas in the carb or the tank. Hard to start. My fuel priming system is a spray can of starting fluid. Spritz a shot into the air intake, pull the crank twice, fires off, the initial rotations of the crank supply the necessary vacuum modulations to prime the fuel system. It starts easy after that. Done. Then I'm off to address the next monumental issue facing my existence.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Boy! I must be lucky. The gods have smiled on me over the years that I owned Honda equipment.
And that is more than just one.
My 35 year old ES6500 sat thru the winter without a start.
Yesterday I took it outside and it fired on the first turn of the engine.
I have a 3200 PSI Honda powered pressure washer that sat through the winter without use.
My grandson borrowed it to do some washing yesterday.
He said it fired on the second pull after having sat for the winter.
I however have a Sears vacuum that god himself could not start.
I finally took the pull rope off and converted it to start with an electric impact wrench and a spray of either.
It still has to be wound up for a few seconds before it catches and starts even though it has a new carburetor on it.
My next conversion is to install a propane cylinder to replace the gas feed and that will happen as soon as I use the last of the non ethanol gasoline.
I feel your pain GracieAllen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have read about and watched some videos regarding these small Honda generators (EU2000i and EU2200i) and apparently the people who have been experiencing issues with starting and/or choke settings have found that the main jet inside the carb was designed with smaller than usual orifices which help with the fuel efficiency but are prone to clogging. After cleaning out the carb and the jets, the issues are solved. Just a few impurities in the gas, new unit or not, could have caused this.

A few of the threads referenced this video for carb cleaning of an EU2000i model:

·
Registered
145 Posts
No. The issue that we are having is due to running the carb dry and then needing numerous pulls to prime before it starts. Today it took 10 pulls to start and it ran like a champ as usual. When I shut it down this time I didn’t run the carb dry. I’ll start it again in a month and see if it will start with less pulls. I’m sure it will. I’ll update then... Dutchy

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I shut it down this time I didn’t run the carb dry.
Machines with fuel pumps that don't have electric starters usually should not be run dry for storage. It takes a lot of effort to re-prime them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As long as you run it monthly, the carb shouldnt need emptying, plus the engine will thankyou for not staving it of fuel aswel....I have had my gen for 2 years, never emptied the carb, I just start it monthly for 10-20mins and it starts within 2secs of the turn of the key. Then just turn off the fuel tap after the engine is off.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts