Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a couple of years since I bought my last Trufuel from famaga. I needed a new supply, I checked out famaga and apparently they don't sell it anymore. Two years ago Home Depot was selling 32 oz. of Trufuel for $4.47/can in lots of six or more cans and I took a website printout to Lowe's and got a price match plus 10% off that came to $4.02/can.

But prices are higher two years later and the 6-can or more price at Home Depot has been increased to $4.77/can and Lowes policy will still price match but will no longer give the 10% discount.

I would have gone to Home Depot and simply bought a couple of cases of Trufuel except that Home Depot only carries the loose cans and I didn't want a dozen loose cans rolling around in the back of my truck on my drive back to home. Moreover, cans in an unopened carton are unlikely to have been tampered with. For this reason I went to the same Lowe's from two years ago that had a few 6-can cases on hand and, sure enough, there high on one of the top shelves were several 6-can cases of Trufuel.

I searched around the store and found a rolling ladder and lowered two cases of Trufuel, put it into my shopping cart and headed to the customer service desk for a Lowe's price match. As I was paying the Lowe's customer service lady told me, "I gave you a better price, I gave you contractor pricing on your Trufuel."

Sure enough, instead of a $4.77/can price match, my receipt showed a price of $4.29/can, a little higher than from two years ago but I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If there is a small airport anywhere around, go buy some 100LL av gas. Cost is usually around $4-5 a gallon. It will last for years. That is the only fuel I will run is all ATV's, chainsaws, and mowers. But YMMV

·
Registered
526 Posts
I searched around the store and found a rolling ladder and lowered two cases of Trufuel, put it into my shopping cart and headed to the customer service desk for a Lowe's price match. As I was paying the Lowe's customer service lady told me, "I gave you a better price, I gave you contractor pricing on your Trufuel."

Sure enough, instead of a $4.77/can price match, my receipt showed a price of $4.29/can, a little higher than from two years ago but I'm a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

yup always ask for the contractor or bulk case lot price!!
menards does that as well on large purchases of items.
I think I am at 25% off when I buy electrical now..
but that is $20k at a time on the small orders..
they are about the same price I can get direct from china with out the 1 month wait!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
fordtrucksforever, I wonder if you're glossing-over the octane issue? This critical component will begin to degrade the moment of production. Even a tightly closed and cooled container can't stop this breakdown, only delay.
After some prolonged period, say, a year and more in storage, the fuel has already lost significant performance; you could be on the edge of unstable flame, aka detonation, and never know.
You might be thinking, 'but it runs all my equipment no problem..' . Sure, it will still combust, make heat for power. But there's much more going-on, and, without specialized test equipment it would be hard or impossible to convince anyone. People are programmed to ignore what that can't see or hear, right? I'm no different. Just I had some background that gave me insight that isn't easily available.
So I'm just going to say my piece,and you can flame away.

I'll give you points for the fact av gas doesn't gum in the same way. So there's that.
Also, I have a completely different take on the alcohol discussion. I have a different view of this issue from 8 yrs of experiments I did to develop an effective water-alcohol injection system for high performance, high boost engines (I stopped at 29 lbs due to the turbo Buick's weak internal design, the engine I was focused on at that time). This was in the early 90's, before most enthusiasts new how a turbo could be utilized.

My point is, and not to be smart ass know-it-all or beat anyone with a stick, I say that unless for some reason you cannot easily find standard pump gas and/or, have access to cheap (sic) av gas, then, imo, you'd be money-wise to use what is available from a local gas station. Use it, replace it every three months -the accepted industry recommendation.
BTW, the issue of storage and use is where most people run afoul of gum and knock, and start with the additives like Stabil, bla bla, et. al (oh, the misguided hearsay on this stuff...).

Bottom Line: Use-and-replace ordinary pump gas and be confident you've got a quality fuel that has adequate performance for your power equipment.

·
Registered
526 Posts
hey that is an idea..
what octane is white gas? they show Coleman fuel at 50-55 octane...
pretty low octane...
I was thinking of gasoline with out the dye....

the stuff here in my area has heavy dye...
it stains the corrosion in the small honda carbs as well as the stihl saws...

I wish they had fuel for just small engines and off road at the pump...
there is fuel like cam2 and a few other race bike , drag car fuels...

just a thought..

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that tru-fuel is 92 octane I believe. 4 cycle small engines are pretty much across the board rated for 85 octane fuel. A year certainly decreases the fuels octane, but I think it will be fresh enough. The cans say that a closed container is good for 2 years from the date of bottling... that I’m not thrilled with.

I use non ethanol 91octane a buddy brings down from New York State for me. I typically swap out old fuel between 8-10 months old. I just pour it into my truck.

Now for 2 cycle engines, fresh fuel only, period. Anything older then 3 months Gets dumped. I only mix a gallon at a time.

My ms362 chainsaw is worked with high compression and port work, and ebz8500s historically do not like low octane fuel, (kaboom).

·
Registered
185 Posts
My ms362 chainsaw is worked with high compression and port work, and ebz8500s historically do not like low octane fuel, (kaboom).
Nice saw! Those mods make a surprising difference. Am I right? <grin> Amazing how much performance you can get out of those things with little effort.
What is the chamber pressure?
I had modded a 272xp (my all-time favorite saw), wound-up with 215 psi, more than I expected and a very snappy performer. Sold it to an arborist who was clearing multiple acres. He ran it hot and used any fuel that would ignite. As you know, you'll never hear detonation above that much noise. He sure didn't; the saw survived about a week.
Sad.

·
Registered
526 Posts
funny how they will work so well just right before the graham greens "kaBoom"
lol
from the red green show!!
I have a 510 cut saw in the shop...
looks to have been ran on no or the wrong oil...
fried!!
rusty crank...
as I am shaking my head...
the new client bought a whole bunch of equipment at an auction...
3 of the saws sort of run.
parts on order from stihl...
we use the good BP gold and the new synthetic stihl oil...
it works for us...
small saws to the big 660...

·
Read Only
4 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that tru-fuel is 92 octane I believe. 4 cycle small engines are pretty much across the board rated for 85 octane fuel. A year certainly decreases the fuels octane, but I think it will be fresh enough. The cans say that a closed container is good for 2 years from the date of bottling... that I’m not thrilled with.

I use non ethanol 91octane a buddy brings down from New York State for me. I typically swap out old fuel between 8-10 months old. I just pour it into my truck.

Now for 2 cycle engines, fresh fuel only, period. Anything older then 3 months Gets dumped. I only mix a gallon at a time.

most likely we are going to the same gas station in wurtsburo ny for the efree, 91 octane e free was selling for $3.29 each my last trip.i can get AV gas easy since i fly but not for my machines as yesterday it was $4.95 each at KFWN Sussex ap,

https://www.pure-gas.org/ lists most stations selling efree gas ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts