I have read countless posts regarding not hooking up a generator with a bonded neutral to a 240v 30 amp house connection with a mechanical interlock in the house panel, and still have come away a bit confused.. This is the setup, I have, and for the last three or four years, during power outages, I have been hooking up my bonded generator.to the house connection without any problems. I note that I open all my breakers in the house panel, before I hook up the generator, and then only close the four I care about (fridge, freezer, well pump, and one lighting circuit).. None of these circuits have CGFI outlets, nor CGFI breakers in the panel. Perhaps that is why I am not encountering problems? I am not an electrician, and am slow to understand anything electrical, so only understand these things in very basic terms. From posts I have read, it would seem that the way I have things set up would be considered "bad". Since everything works, I know it is not "bad" from an operational standpoint. So my question is what specific real world risk am I taking? For example, am I putting my generator, house wiring, or appliances being powered at risk of being damaged? Is there a safety risk where I, or others, would have an increased chance of receiving an electrical shock at my generator? Is there some other specific safety risk I am taking? For example, If I was running my generator in a storm, and a lightning struck, is there an increased chance of it flowing back through my generator and blowing it across the yard (We have had a lightning strike hit a tree next to the house which destroyed my phone system, computer, well pump controller, and blew chunks of the tree clear over my house, so I know the power of lightning)? I am asking these basic questions as if there is a significant safety risk, or risk to my generator, I will unhook the wire in my generator, so it has a floating ground. I prefer not to do this as I also use the generator as a stand alone for home projects around our property, besides just plugging it into the house. Which is the greater risk? Using it on my house the way it is, or using it with a floating ground as a stand alone? I know I could put a special transfer switch in at my house also, but really would like to avoid the bucks for this.