Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The above type of ads are doing the rounds in my area. Probably due to recent storms, but my advice is to know what a GENUINE Honda generator looks like before chasing something just because you think it’s a good deal.

· Registered
455 Posts
I could be wrong, but that address of east Gwillimbury rings a bell of similiar Kijiji ads with fake snowblowers a year or so ago. I faintly recall (on another forum) someone close by wanting to see the unit and it didnt even exist, they used a pic from the 'net. If my recall is correct, seller would only do E transfer. That aspect alone speaks 'warning sign' to me.
Scammers are everywhere!

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you and I know that! Especially me because I have the real deal. Just an awesome unit!! But when people see the Honda logo plastered on this piece of knockoff junk they jump at the opportunity. This has been going on over the last couple of years in my area. As soon as I see a new ad I copy it and put up an opposing ad advising people to beware and research the real genuine item. Just yesterday I was contacted by a buyer that sent money for “a hold” and then drove 2hours and was stood up. His own fault really, but the fraudster probably made money before he pulled the ad and vanished. Makes me want to zap these losers….😬

· Registered
455 Posts
the Honda logo plastered on this piece of knockoff
Exactly. To the unimformed that decal means everything in their purchase.
As soon as I see a new ad I copy it and put up an opposing ad advising people to beware
I've seen those ads before on different items! Good on you Dutchy and anyone else doing the same. (y)

· Registered
514 Posts
I read that companies tries to copy successful engines, as there tried and tested because they work, so they copy there designs. But some take it a step too far, to get more money, I think mines a honda clone, but its not labeled as a honda

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well cloning/copying engines etc is one thing. Not right either… but then claiming the piece is OEM is complete fraud. But when there’s an opportunity for a quick dollar there’s lotsa crooks ready to grab handfuls anyway they can. That’s why you ALWAYS research what you’re interested in before you buy used, even new. We have everything at our fingertips in this day and age to do that easily. Gullible buyers have only themselves to really blame. It’s just that I can’t stand sneaky greasy copycat fraudsters. 🤬

· Registered
1,653 Posts

· Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Product is legit, but he wanted etransfer to hold it. Who wouldn’t want to send him some money when he was only asking 1/3 the value!! Sorry I didn’t show his complete comments….

· Registered
5,762 Posts
there was a bunch out of florida doing the same thing.
we got them shut down last july with a BIG raid.
it was a rented house with a couple of servers.
the 2 folks that were in there are doing 25 years for fraud.
but there are other cases now.
so the charges are still stacking up.

report them when you find them in your country.
here in the states we have the FTC at a federal level.
and local state gov offices do help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts