Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a couple of those little (usually blue grease), plastic pump chainsaw bar sprocket greasers over the years. None worked. The last one pumped grease as it should at first, but now is not working. It (they) appears to become air-locked, but no matter how much probing I do with a screw driver et. al., to release the air and get it working again, nothing seems to work.

What is the secret to getting/keeping those frustrating things working. Is there an alternative (something that works),to those cheap plastic pumps?

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
In my neck of the woods they sell an aerosol can filled with grease and it has a nozzle built in just for greasing the nose sprocket on chainsaws it's probably a bit more expensive than using the pump like you have it's quite convenient

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found (in my assortment of tools), an attachment stem that fits a standard zerk grease gun that can grease the sprocket. However, the grease in my gun(s) seem way too heavy when I grease the sprocket and try to turn it by hand. But, I have been thinking, is it absolutely necessary to grease the sprocket anyway...after all, the oil from the chain oiler must get in there anyway.
Is there anyone who does not grease their sprocket and has not suffered any ill-effect?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts