Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Briggs and Stratton P2200 inverter generator.Will not start.No spark.The coil is mounted on the plastic case and not the flywheel.How does that work and how can i check it with a multi
2E4BEFBD-EB77-4D6C-9CE3-A083DD0BBCB5.jpeg
661D84B1-6C6B-407C-A84D-2984F04F01C2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
first things first
do you have a spark tester?

check the oil level
it should be at the top of bottom threads on the fill if it is a side fill style dip stick.

from there the oil level switch maybe bad or the start stop switch could be stuck.
the oil level switch will be on the side of the crank case most of the time it is a yellow wire.
unplug that wire and see if you have spark.
if not then find the switch on the back side of the on off selector and check it with an ohm meter for function.

click here for the manual look up at b&s

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The low oil level sensor and the kill switch have been disconnected for troubleshooting.I have a spark tester.No spark.Oil is topped up.On off / kill switch checks good.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
wow!
did you get the manual down loaded?
there should be a wiring diagram in there.

basic there is a pickup winding for the spark trig.
that goes in to a spark module
and is also tied in to the inverter unit.
use an ohm meter to check the primary and secondary of the ing coil with it disconnected from the gen harness.
(note: still mounted in place)
there are also checks for the windings of the stator with an ohm meter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not find a manual.I do have a wiring diagram.I have no idea how to check this coil with a meter.
6507356A-30C5-4D60-BBB3-8AA493716AEE.gif

·
Registered
863 Posts
Reactions: iowagold

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no info on Briggs and Stratton that I can see on how to meter the coil or the ignition power supply part of the stator.Anybody have any thing on that? Stator part number 707590 and coil part number 317436GS.

·
Registered
863 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Have you tried a different spark plug or better yet the spark tester previously suggested?
Take a look at the wiring diagram in the manual; it is different...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried a different spark plug or better yet the spark tester previously suggested?
Take a look at the wiring diagram in the manual; it is different...

Here's the Briggs & Stratton Ignition Troubleshooting:
I am well beyond that at this point.I need info on how to test the coil and stator output for ignition.I need to know where to place the multimeter probes and what resistance values are correct.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am well beyond that at this point.I need info on how to test the coil and stator output for ignition.I need to know where to place the multimeter probes and what resistance values are correct.
No skipped steps. If you don't want help, just say so.
Step 1: Check for output voltage from spark module with a spark tester or known good plug.
Step 2: If spark tester shows no voltage, check for voltage on the Blue/Gray input wires when cranking. Gray is ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No skipped steps. If you don't want help, just say so.
Step 1: Check for output voltage from spark module with a spark tester or known good plug.
Step 2: If spark tester shows no voltage, check for voltage on the Blue/Gray input wires when cranking. Gray is ground.
What voltage would I expect to see on the Blue/Grey wires when pulling the starter cord?

·
Registered
863 Posts
What voltage would I expect to see on the Blue/Grey wires when pulling the starter cord?
It's an any/none test. What did you get? If any (up to 27V as shown in the manual), then the ignition coil is likely at fault. If none, then test the continuity of the fuel switch cutoff and the reset switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got 3-4 volts at blue and grey wire by pulling that cord as hard as i can.Ground confirmed at grey wire.Then I went directly to the blue wire out of the stator and got the same results.What does that reset switch do?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I got 3-4 volts at blue and grey wire by pulling that cord as hard as i can.Ground confirmed at grey wire.Then I went directly to the blue wire out of the stator and got the same results.What does that reset switch do?
That doen't sound like enough voltage. Did you have the meter on AC Volts? If you're getting the same voltage on the line going to the coil as you're getting directly off the stator, it would appear that everything after the stator is OK.

The reset switch trips if there's an overload on the inverter and it shuts down the engine on some models and only the inverter on other models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The meter was on AC volts.Voltage was the same for the coil connector as was the blue wire from the stator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good generator, one of my favorite features of this Briggs & Stratton generator is the aesthetically pleasing control center. The contrast between the silver, black, and red really gives the generator character and make the white label easy to read
As good as it looks It won’t run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts