Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV (Tesla Model S drivetrain)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lotta pictures and explanation below; my question is near the end.

From IPI:
Al,

Morning, this BERG III has been discontinued in 2020 and is no longer available.

Dan
The IPI BERG III (aka 3CLBERG3-00-001) was a unique extended runtime setup for the EU6500is/EU7000is. The centerpiece of the kit was a special fuel tank cap that integrated a float valve and fuel pump that was powered by crankcase pulsations.

When set up, and with the engine running, fuel would be pumped from a portable marine fuel tank (or whatever) to to the fuel cap, and if the gen's fuel tank level was below about 75% full, the float valve would allow fuel to flow into the tank. When the fuel level in the tank rose, the float valve would stop refuelling. The diaphragm pump in the fuel tank cap was powered by crankcase pulsations, tapped by a hose and adapter to fit the oil fill plug.

As of May2022, it's still listed on IPI's Products page:

Medical bag Product Output device Font Gadget

WalMart has this description:
Product details

Introducing the BERG III extended run fuel system. This product is new for 2014 and the only one of its kind. The BERG III is an extended run fuel system for the larger size generators and gas powered pumps. The BERG III has its own patented pump system built into the gas cap. This is a plug and play system that takes less than 5 minutes to install. It's as simple as changing out the gas and oil fill caps. No modifications to the unit are necessary. The product has no electrical components. The BERG III is designed to run over 150 hours with little to no maintenance needed. Sold with our without a 6 Gallon fuel tank and can be adapted to any size fuel tank that has a 1/4 In. NPT.
  • 6 Gallon gas tank
  • Air line and filters
  • B.E.R.G.S. III generator cap
  • Hose assembly
  • No electrical components
  • Designed to run over 150 hours
Another site has some more detail:
Product Description
Manufacturer Part Number: 3CLBERG3.00-001

IPI Industries' B.E.R.G. (Breeze Extended Run Generator System) Systems are made with Aerospace grade material that will not be damaged by gas, freeze in the cold or fade in the sun. It has a flexible hose and all of its systems have a very easy, non-invasive set-up. Each system keeps your generators running for an extended period of time. You can use your own gas tank of any size to keep it running for a longer or shorter period of time, the tank just needs a drop tube. B.E.R.G. III System hooks up to the Honda EU3000, EU6500 and the Generac GP6500 generators. The B.E.R.G. III has an air hose included, that you plug into your oil port. You do this to create an air pulse so the fuel line is able to pump fuel into the gas tank like the B.E.R.G. I and II - with the tank lower than the generator. The B.E.R.G. III cap is a bit different from the B.E.R.G. I and II. The B.E.R.G. III cap has the two hose connections, as well as an elongated neck with a float assembled into it, that goes down into the generators tank and is able to signal the pump to stop when it is full, so it will not overflow. This system can run up to 15 hours without refueling. The B.E.R.G. III System for Honda EU6500 includes a fuel line assembly, 6 gallon Attwood fuel tank, B.E.R.G. III cap assembly, air hose assembly, Honda EU6500 oil plug and an O-Ring.

Feature
  • Keeps your generator running up to 15 hours without refueling
  • Includes an air hose that you plug into your oil port to create an air pulse so the fuel line is able to pump fuel into the gas tank like the B.E.R.G. I and II - with the tank lower than the generator
  • Designed for use with Honda EU6500 generator
  • Includes a fuel line assembly, 6 gallon Attwood fuel tank, B.E.R.G. III cap assembly, air hose assembly, Honda EU6500 oil plug and an O-Ring
  • B.E.R.G. III cap has the two hose connections as well as an elongated neck with a float assembled into it
Product Font Output device Event Cable

Output device Comfort Font Electronic device Cable

Guy Holt's firm, ScreenLight & Grip, uses this system on their rentals, that site has a "manual" for how to set up their version.

Amazon used to sell this kit, and they still have some reviews for it.
---
Pinellas Power Products has an extended runtime kit that also uses crankcase pulsations to drive a fuel pump (using a slick hollow valve cover fixing bolt), but I watched the entire install video to learn that it will only add the external tank to your existing tank's capacity IF both tanks are at the same level. If you place the external tank lower than the gen tank, you have to turn off the main tank's fuel valve in order to get the pump to draw the fuel up. That's not as slick as the gas-cap-with-float-valve setup that IPI used.
---

Is anyone aware of a similar product (one that uses a float valve incorporated in the gen's fuel cap) for the Honda EU8500is/EU7000is ? Or, a source for the BERG III cap?

·
Registered
195 Posts
While not knowing the answer to your last question on similar products, all our Honda EU7000isnan units are equipped with the Bergs Cap, Fuel Line and Tank, purchased all the parts in bulk about 5 years ago directly from manufacturer of the parts.

None of them came with the adapter (green line) in your pictures and none have anything else -- except a special plastic clip to squeeze/compress a breather hose when extender is connected.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV (Tesla Model S drivetrain)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan @ IPI says they no longer sell the pump cap with integrated float valve, which is the central component of the system. The green line provides the pressure pulses to drive the pump in the cap.

I'm assuming that on your setups, the clip for the fuel tank vent/breather is a way around having an aux tank higher than the main tank then overfilling the main tank and spilling out the main tank's breather. The clip disables the vent, but also disables the carbon fuel vapor recovery system. And, it doesn't pump the fuel up, so your aux tank must be higher than the main tank? Correct me if I'm making wrong assumptions here.

BERG has different caps, but the ones they currently offer don't have the integrated float & pump. If you have a source for that cap with the float, I'd like to know where I can buy one or three.

·
Registered
195 Posts
asavage said:
The clip disables the vent, but also disables the carbon fuel vapor recovery system.
News to me.

As to location of the aux tank, we have them at same level with the generator tank. Never tested above or below but perhaps the fuel pump handles it, if either one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts