Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a hurricane, but looks like the generators will get a little exercise in the next few days. We live about at the foot of the 4 in the 48 shown on the map, placing us on the wet windward side. Have 35 gallons E0 in the 36 gallon tank in the boat, going to get 35 more. Two of the three window A/C units are already in the windows. 1006mb isn't that bad of an event, but the power grid always seems to take a hit, so with 35 years of storm experience out in these woods we are resigned to our fate...bring it on. It's not going to last that long, but there's another disturbance off the coast of Africa that for some reason has my attention. If this one is all we have to say Grace over this year then we shall have been Blessed.
Ecoregion Map Slope World Rectangle

Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
stay safe down there!
make sure to have plenty of drinking water on hand.

yup mother nature is not happy for sure...
it is going to be a rough.year again for sure!
and it is not over yet...

here is the message of the day:
folks make your power plan and plan well to stay safe...
do the best you can for you and your families!
and do what you can to help others as well!.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ground, you're actually not all that far from me. This one looks like more of a rainmaker than a wind maker. It sounds like you have plenty of fuel for an outage.

What kind of generator do you have?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Swamp, I have had a Generac XP8000E for a decade and now have an EU7000 still in the box. I need to get out there this afternoon and uncork it and break it in so it'll be ready. The Generac has not missed a beat even once, but I have little faith that it won't disappoint me when I need it most in the future. Hence the EU7000. Prayerfully, if it will power three window A/C's, fridge, chest freezer, a couple of TV's and the computers in this office without working it too hard then it is going to be my primary unit and the Generac is going to be my backup. If not, we scale back to two A/C's. There's an EU2200 out there in the shop for camp duty and a gently-used EU2000 that's going to go to a new home as soon as the power goes out around here and I can get it posted up on the bulletin board down at the post office.

I have no misgivings about running any of them 24/7 and have had occasion to do it for extended periods several times. (Mom likes her air conditioning, 100% duty cycle.) Been doing it since 1985 and have never had a problem with any previous generator. **** the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

Reactions: iowagold and cosmic

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't think the EU7000is is going to work well, I'm sorry to say. I really think I need to come take it off of your hands. If you keep it, it'll only be a reminder of what it can't do. I could not bear to know you are enduring something so wrong. I can be there in about 6 hours to get it. I will endure the pain for you. Just keep it in the box, to ease in moving it. We're going to climb this mountain together, brother.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now THAT is funny Swamp!!!!

C'mon guys. Everyone do your best Stevie Wonder weave and let's sing along.

• Haha
Reactions: LaSwamp

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
lol!
yea a mild rain event would be welcome!
most of the areas are still doing clean up and are still wide open on buildings etc ....

if they were a month further along a good rain would help wash and settle the dust from the floods...

tarp up what you can, and plan for a bit of wind just like any storm.
stay safe down there!

oh yea you did get your shots for tetanus right?
make sure before you do any clean up to mask and glove up as the mold and other dust is killer in flood areas.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Up early this morning @ 3:20. Two big thumps on the roof woke me, surely debris or limbs out if the big pine off the corner of the house. This looks like it will thankfully be a non-event here, the path having shifted just south, more along the coast. Good rain though, we needed it. Swamp, looks like it is coming your way now. More rain you don't need.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The original track showed the storm moving over Monroe. I saw this morning that it's going to pass much further south. Probably won't be much wind, but possibly a lot of rain. We actually didn't get a lot of rain from Ida, although we tend to flood here. I lost power for five days during the '16 flood.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
good to hear it is not going to be a BIG thing for you guys down there.

I hate to swear in a public forum.... but here it is... lol!

they say S. N. O. W. and C.O. L. D. is going to be a big thing this winter 2021 and 2022.

"oh man he said the s word and the c word.... he is going to get it now!"
LOL!!

so with it will be the ice storms and wind etc.
all things that mess with the power grid....

now with hints of more lock downs.... yup going to be a long winter for sure.
getting ready for it like i did last fall.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For it to have not come through here I sure do have a bunch of wind debris in my yard. Power never went off, but I know some squirrels who don't have a nest in the tops of those trees anymore. Must have been a small spin-up vortex or something. Three big nests on the ground. Now I know what pulled the stuffing out of my wife's patio chair cushion. Pretty ingenious of them to insulate their nests that way. And where did they get that duct tape from?

• Haha
Reactions: iowagold and exmar

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
they must have cable tv up there or an good antenna and been watching RED GREEN from canada!
lol!
"the handy mans secret weapon.... duct tape!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts