Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Been looking at the specs on the Westinghouse wgen12000df series. It seems like a decent genset based on the datasheet.

THD < 5%
Dual-fuel option. Manual shows an easy way to unbond the ground and neutral with a simple jumper removed.

Anyone with some personal experience and use with these gensets?

The online reviews I'm seeing like from HomeDepot and elsewhere, seem very superficial reviews. Most people seem to review based on the packaging and using the generator one or two times.

Curious on how clean is the output and controller response to dynamic load?
How about parts? Westinghouse is saying its their own v-twin engine. I didn't know Westinghouse made anything other than electric motors. Didn't know they made gas engines?

Any info would be appreciated.

-J

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well since no one else responded I will give you my "opinion".

I was very interested in that same generator last year and called Westinghouse tech support 3 times to ask about oil filter availability as that was mentioned in the on line reviews as a problem. Turns out it is not. Tech support seems to be a mixed bag depending on who answers the phone but finally got one tech that seemed very knowledgeable. I asked some general questions and the "Why is the thd so low on this one but not your others?". He said it was due to the design specs and had actually load banked a few units to confirm. Apparently they test in their US facility. He admitted it was a China manufactured product but to their specs.

I think most of these generators made in china come out of the same 2 or 3 factories. Granted there may be different specs but seems the big difference is the I/O panel from what I see and customer service. Cat, Pulsar and a couple others have a generator that appears almost identical but are not dual fuel. Ultimately I decided if I buy a generator that large I would go with the Northern Tools Honda powered one. Probably this one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200467368_200467368

Honda engines are going to be a lot easier to support I am thinking. There is a Tri-Fuel kit available for the Northern Tool gene as well.

Sorry I don't have any actual experience with the Westinghouse.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found any of these support folks to be helpful...quit candidly. I've called Generac and Westinghouse...and they both leave a lot to be desired.
The numbers look good overall with the Westinghouse... if I go by the datasheet.

But every review I see on the internet...its mostly people that have started them after unboxing it and plugged them in for a few hours and then put them in the garage for storage. I have not seen any reviews of folks that have run their genset hard for days.

My current Generac Ultrasource 15000 has been running continuously for 6 days (144 hours) this past week. I've had it for 10 years and run it for full house power at least 3 - 4 times a year (that is how much we lose power because of trees and overhead power lines). I have about 400 hours on it. Its ran great. The only thing I've replaced beyond standard stuff like oil/filter and sparkplugs is the lead acid starting battery. The only issue I have with this thing is the dirty power. It works...but I have more and more sensitive equipment at home now days since working from home the past few years that I need something cleaner.

<5% THD is probably going to be fine coming from a < 25% THD genset. But I have a workhorse that has never let me down. I'd love to find someone who has beat the heck out of their Westinghouse to know how it really holds up. But I haven't found that person yet...unfortunately. 300 reviews on HomeDepot and its all mostly fluff and how much they liked the packaging and that its pretty :rolleyes:

-J

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Folks,

Been looking at the specs on the Westinghouse wgen12000df series. It seems like a decent genset based on the datasheet.

THD < 5%
Dual-fuel option. Manual shows an easy way to unbond the ground and neutral with a simple jumper removed.

The online reviews I'm seeing like from HomeDepot and elsewhere, seem very superficial reviews. Most people seem to review based on the packaging and using the generator one or two times.

How about parts? Westinghouse is saying its their own v-twin engine. I didn't know Westinghouse made anything other than electric motors. Didn't know they made gas engines?

-J
I looked at them when I was shopping for my generators. I passed mostly because of costs. Both my local Lowe's and Home Depot wanted north of $2,400.00 for the V-Twin, 12,000 watt unit. I ended up buying 2, Westinghouse 9,500 watt, dual fuel units for $978.00 each instead. That comes to $1,956.00 for 2 units, that produce a total of 19,000 running watts. As opposed to 1 that produces only 12,000 running watts. That amounts to 7,000 more watts of power, for $444.00 less.

I'm not knocking the larger Westinghouse generator. It's a very nice unit. It's just when you do the math on a cost vs. power basis, it just doesn't add up. Plus, I have the reliability factor of 2 units as opposed to one. If one takes a dump, I've still got a lot of power.

The 9,500 watt dual fuel Westinghouse models are excellent units. They have a very high number of 5 star ratings from both Lowe's and Home Depot's websites. And many of those ratings came from people in Florida and other parts of, "hurricane country", who ran them for weeks on end without any issues. I'm very pleased with both of mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that is concerning is it appears that this generator has no oil filter. Kind of surprised that this has no oil filter for the size of the motor. My old Generac has a filter and is a pressurized oil system. Curious why they didn't go that route with this motor design?

-J

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing that is concerning is it appears that this generator has no oil filter. Kind of surprised that this has no oil filter for the size of the motor. My old Generac has a filter and is a pressurized oil system. Curious why they didn't go that route with this motor design?

-J
Are you talking about the 9500 or the 12000 model? The 12,000 watt Westinghouse has a V twin engine, and a spin on oil filter. (Part #180738). The 9,500 watt model has no filter. It has a 457 CC single cylinder OHV engine. None of the engines in that class have a filter. The engine is basically a Honda clone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I wasn't clear. The 9500 that you mentioned in your previous post.. I'm curious why they don't design it with an oil filter. Is it a non-pressurized oil system....just an oil slinger design?

-J

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear. The 9500 that you mentioned in your previous post.. I'm curious why they don't design it with an oil filter. Is it a non-pressurized oil system....just an oil slinger design? -J
Yes, it's a non pressurized oiling system. The biggest reasons for it are, 1.) Cost.... 2.) It's not really necessary.... 3.) None of the engines of this type and size, (single cylinder OHV Chinese clones, Briggs & Stratton, Honda, or Kohler), have a filtered, pressurized oiling system....

If these engines are properly maintained with regular oil changes, and the oil crankcases kept full with the proper weight oil for their operating climate, they will have a very long service life with the present splash / slinger oiling system.

Adding a pressurized, filtered oiling system would increase the cost and complexity substantially, while not really adding much to the service life of the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Folks,

THD < 5%

-J
I have the WGen9500DF and ran my entire house flawlessly for two days off of natural gas during the Great Texas Ice Storm of 2021!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did your HVAC run ok? Aren't the electronics to sensitive? I am in Houston
I’m south of Houston in Columbia Lakes. I test ran my generator on NG last summer when I bought it and my A/C worked fine and ran microwave simultaneously. This winter during the outage my furnace ran constantly for two days along with fridge normal use of microwave, air fryer, dishwasher and the occasional hair dryer. Also had 10 90 watt incandescent bulbs outside heating my plants. My house is small at 1860 sq/ft and all my lights are LED and major appliances are gas. Granted these are the only two times I’ve used it but I’m impressed with its performance and quality. I might also add all of my electronics, three TVs, and computers wifi and cable modem didn’t skip a beat and suffered no damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m south of Houston in Columbia Lakes. I test ran my generator on NG last summer when I bought it and my A/C worked fine and ran microwave simultaneously. This winter during the outage my furnace ran constantly for two days along with fridge normal use of microwave, air fryer, dishwasher and the occasional hair dryer. Also had 10 90 watt incandescent bulbs outside heating my plants. My house is small at 1860 sq/ft and all my lights are LED and major appliances are gas. Granted these are the only two times I’ve used it but I’m impressed with its performance and quality. I might also add all of my electronics, three TVs, and computers wifi and cable modem didn’t skip a beat and suffered no damage.
Thanks much. Is your HVAC more on the new generation side, like 10 yrears old or so? I am hearing the HVAC /Furnace electronics don't like dirty power. Sorry to ask so many questions :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks much. Is your HVAC more on the new generation side, like 10 yrears old or so? I am hearing the HVAC /Furnace electronics don't like dirty power. Sorry to ask so many questions :)
No worries. My house was built in 2017 so it’s new unit. It’s only a 3.5 or 4.5 ton I believe. I even asked my nephew who is an HVAC technician if I should put a hard start kit on the compressor unit but he said not necessary. It never phased my generator when the a/c cycled on and off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No worries. My house was built in 2017 so it’s new unit. It’s only a 3.5 or 4.5 ton I believe. I even asked my nephew who is an HVAC technician if I should put a hard start kit on the compressor unit but he said not necessary. It never phased my generator when the a/c cycled on and off.
That's awesome info and it helps me a great deal making the right decision. Thanks partner :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
THANKS so very much Sir. Few questions:

What's the NG kit installed? Model and place you bought it from please?

And is that a 1/2" NG line connector /hose from the NG meter? That's what I have as well and I am not sure if is enough volume / PSI for a generator on 1/2". Can you please confirm? Looks like 1/2 but not sure :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts