Power Equipment Forum banner

AIMS Power 6600 so far, so good.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  drmerdp 
#1 · (Edited)
I took delivery of the AIMS Power 6600 today. It's a Chinese generator sold in the US by AIMS, It is sold as a Hyundai in the UK. Given the low cost and my circumstances, I decided to take a chance on this unit. I bought the generator through Zoro.com and got a great deal as I had a 20% off coupon.

The generator arrived in good shape. After I added oil, gas, and hooked up the battery, it fired right up. I ran it for a bit with a portable heater on one of the 120 outlets. The ECO switch seems to work similar to my Honda EU2000i. The noise was quite low only running a heater which showed to pull about 1300 W. I like that the unit displays Watts and hours. Next I hooked it up to my main panel through my interlock with 30 AMP breaker. Everything seems to work as it should. Ran enough things to get it up to 5500 W without any issues other than one of my ceiling LED lights seemed to flicker a bit. I have no way to measure noise. I would say that when loaded up it was still quieter than my neighbor's Generac standby system😀.

I don't like the handles and wheels set up for this generator. I would guess the Yamaha 6300 has the same issue. You have to pick it up by the handles to turn it and not as much leverage as the wheelbarrow style units. But I knew that going in. At 200 lbs, it wasn't too bad to horse around the turns.

Utlimately I want to add some type of lithium ion battery system as back up power to compliment my solar panels. But until then, this generator will allow us to power through any extended outages. We were living in Maine during the Great Ice Storm of 1998 so I know what can happen.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Looking good Steve. Did you adjust the grounding at all before hooking it up?
Nope.

It wasn't an issue for plugging heater into 120 GFI outlet. For the connection to 240 through panel, I decided to see what happens. Worked fine. Lots of conflicting info on whether this is a "safety" concern. I decided it isn't after listening to this Mike Holt video. Code violation, maybe. Hazard, NO.

But I'm probably going to take it apart and see if I can make the 240 outlet only floating nuetral. I may still want to use the 120 outlets for portable tools and then I'll want the Neutral bonded to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.