Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Honda EU6500i on NG. Taking into consideration the size of the generator and derating associated with NG, would the installation of a Micro Air soft start kit safely power up a 2.5 ton inverter unit with the below detailed
2802F0C3-DCA6-4969-92A9-4B69B7E8BF84.jpeg

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I am running a Honda EU6500i on NG. Taking into consideration the size of the generator and derating associated with NG, would the installation of a Micro Air soft start kit safely power up a 2.5 ton inverter unit with the below detailed
2.5ton inverter unit? Did you mean to say 2.5ton condenser unit? That doesn’t appear to be an inverter AC system.

With a LRA of 59 to start with, your eu6500 should start it with ease if you add a microair soft start.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My other concern would be risk of voiding warranty. This is only a year old unit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If your HVAC system has a TXV to regulate the refrigerant, you may not get the expected reduction of the Micro-Air unit. I just installed my soft starter on a 4-ton unit and although it does reduce inrush a bit, their tech support told me that the TXV allows more residual head pressure on the compressor (it doesn't bleed pressure quickly to balance pressure like a piston setup after turning off) and the EasyStart is programmed to start at low initial current but it may actually raise it during the learning process in order to get the compressor to reliably overcome that pressure.

I bet your Honda would start that unit with a 5-2-1 hard start kit. If that doesn't work, you could always try the soft starter. Neither should void your warranty. If something goes wrong, just remove it before a warranty tech shows up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your HVAC system has a TXV to regulate the refrigerant, you may not get the expected reduction of the Micro-Air unit. I just installed my soft starter on a 4-ton unit and although it does reduce inrush a bit, their tech support told me that the TXV allows more residual head pressure on the compressor (it doesn't bleed pressure quickly to balance pressure like a piston setup after turning off) and the EasyStart is programmed to start at low initial current but it may actually raise it during the learning process in order to get the compressor to reliably overcome that pressure.

I bet your Honda would start that unit with a 5-2-1 hard start kit. If that doesn't work, you could always try the soft starter. Neither should void your warranty. If something goes wrong, just remove it before a warranty tech shows up.
I will look up specs re: TXV. Thanks for the heads up on that issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts