Power Equipment Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Briggs and Stratton 5000 watt generator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am learning a lot about brushes...Material Type, terms, sizing, configurations So I know I need a spring shunt electro graphite brush Shunt size I believe will need to be about .1 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Dayton Generator 4ZZ18 Brush Kit No. GN006630SJ
That Brush Kit was also used in Campbell Hausfeld generators. There was a seller "flopmax" on eBay selling those, but he seems to have closed his storefront.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately I called that number at the beginning and it is no longer a working number for the generator. It is a health alert device call number now. That is the reason I am using this forum. Hoping someone could help me find the right part. You have really helped and I might can buy a different brush set and try to repair mine as a last resort if I can not find a source for a matching brush set.
Not sure this will help but I'd take the generator to old established electric motor rewind shop. If nothing else they can find you new brush holders with brushes that are readily available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That Brush Kit was also used in Campbell Hausfeld generators. There was a seller "flopmax" on eBay selling those, but he seems to have closed his storefront.
Does anybody know where I can get just the brushes for a Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt generator model # 01654 The part number for the brush holder is 91825GS But I'm not sure if that is all that is wrong with it and I don't want to put money in the holder assemble if there are more problems than the brushes being worn out. Thanks for your help in advance.
Bob

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get just the brushes for a Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt generator model # 01654 The part number for the brush holder is 91825GS But I'm not sure if that is all that is wrong with it and I don't want to put money in the holder assemble if there are more problems than the brushes being worn out. Thanks for your help in advance.
Bob
test everything with a meter first!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bob
I have a 5500W B&S generator that uses the same brushes, 91825GS. This is a one piece unit that is the holder, brushes and bridge rectifier. I ordered a spare set from B&S or through Amazon, don't remember but it was shipped from Amazon. It's a Briggs part and cost about $35.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This generator belongs to a friend of mine that he is not sure that the brushes are all that is wrong with this generator. The engine runs great but no electrical power. I just wanted to solder in 2 new brushes just to see if it would make 120 volts power. Then if it does I would replace the whole brush holder assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
This generator belongs to a friend of mine that he is not sure that the brushes are all that is wrong with this generator. The engine runs great but no electrical power. I just wanted to solder in 2 new brushes just to see if it would make 120 volts power. Then if it does I would replace the whole brush holder assembly.
Ok, afraid to waste 35bucks but What if the diodes on the rectifier are bad… Maybe check that first.

If the Problem was the brushes, cleaning the slip rings and sanding the brushes usually solves it Unless the brushes are so worn the springs cannot keep enough pressure against the slip rings.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
i would also check the rotor and stator with a fluke meter to make sure they are ok!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts