Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Briggs and Stratton 5000 watt generator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one help me figure out the brushes I need or how to mount a new set. This was a free generator. I got it running and found out the brushes had been removed. I can't find any information, so I am guessing its pretty old. Generator Model 4ZZ18 Engine 9 hp Vanguard Model 195432 Type: 0606E11 Code: 19091749 Images attached. I did find a brush housing see last pic.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Automotive design Rim
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Cylinder
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really confused now. Could this be a brushless generator? I did not think so as it has an armature that appears to have two copper rings and I did find the brush housing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great picture. Thank You. Do you know where I can buy the brushes? Do you have the model number. Do you know where I can get a parts list for this generator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I called that number at the beginning and it is no longer a working number for the generator. It is a health alert device call number now. That is the reason I am using this forum. Hoping someone could help me find the right part. You have really helped and I might can buy a different brush set and try to repair mine as a last resort if I can not find a source for a matching brush set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night, I did send an email to Generator GURU as well. I am waiting for their response. I thought it might be a Dayton unit so it looks like you confirmed I am on the right track.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
also try a local automotive generator repair shop.
they may have brushes that will fit the brush holder..
just a thought

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might call Grainger and see if they still have a parts list for it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I called Grainger and got the owners manual and parts diagram. Brushes are no longer available. So I am going to try and use the housing. I ordered a set of brushes with springs I hope will work. I need to figure out how to connect the wire to the brushes. The end of the wire has a male terminal will a slot. Does the brush tab fit against the male terminal or do I try to make the brushes tab fit in the slot of the terminal or do I try and fit the slot over the brush wire. I am thinking the brush wire filts in the slot of the terminal. Does anyone know what this type of terminal is called?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shoot some more pix of that item
the device is the the terminal for the wire that connects to the brushes. with the e]wire connected, it plugs into the brush holder as shown in the picture. I believe when I plug it in to the black housing, the brush wire will slip in the slot on the end of the male terminal. I just wanted confirmation.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
they may to have had a brass pin crimped on the end of the brush wire to slip behind the springs etc.
what is the dia on the small holes?
use a drill bit to measure dia.
or ultra good calipers...
and measure the length they need to be to hit both sides of the holder...
we have nickle plated pins for duetsch connectors that would work.
let me know if you need links for those.

they also make those in military gold clad.
harder to find those on the cheap.

and you will need a way to center hold the pins in place or use jb weld or solder on the pins if the holder is bake lite.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I called Grainger and got the owners manual and parts diagram. Brushes are no longer available. So I am going to try and use the housing. I ordered a set of brushes with springs I hope will work. I need to figure out how to connect the wire to the brushes. The end of the wire has a male terminal will a slot. Does the brush tab fit against the male terminal or do I try to make the brushes tab fit in the slot of the terminal or do I try and fit the slot over the brush wire. I am thinking the brush wire filts in the slot of the terminal. Does anyone know what this type of terminal is called?
Thats awesome. Its amazing what some companies will hold onto.

What is the part number for the brush set? There are several small engine repair shops in my area that have been around for 50 years. They might have a set laying on the shelf, you never know. I needed a couple of parts for a Honda EM600 that was given to me. That gen is from about 1985 or so. Just about all of the parts for it are NLA. Went out to one of the shops, showed him what I needed, and he had it. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grainger Listed it as Dayton Generator 4ZZ18 Brush Kit No. GN006630SJ Thanks for checking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts