Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here just picked up a "new" westinghouse wpro8500 8500/11500 gen, basically the predecessor to the wgen9500 but with 5% THD, they made these for 2-3 years and in the last part of the run they added a 50A plug vs the L14-30r which mine has, is there any way to add a 50A plug and breaker like the newer versions? I also plan a tri fuel conversion which will probably drop running watts to around 7000-7500 watts on NG so then I think to myself why a 50A plug when the 30A is good for 7200. If it is possible is it even worth doing? My house is around 2k sq ft, I have absolutely nothing on 240 but still has 2 240 breakers which one (stove) is only using one leg for my gas stove, we have all window A/C units on 120v no central air. I plan on adding a 50A plug to my house and that's another issue as I have the "pushmatic" breakers so no interlocks for those. Here is a pic of the generator and the specs. Westinghouse WPro8500 8500/11500W Portable Generator: User Review & Specs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
926 Posts
is there any way to add a 50A plug and breaker like the newer versions?
Sure, if you are handy at working with sheet metal. Put a 14-50R in place of the existing 30A receptacle. The breaker is likely the same between the older and newer versions...you might want to double check that. They probably went with the 50A receptacle on the later models so that the receptacle was a better match for the 35A output current of the gen.

It is really not going to add much capability to the gen though IMHO. You really shouldn't be running them at their 100% rating anyway. The 30A receptacle should work okay. Do go ahead and install the 50A outlet at the house along with large wiring so as to accommodate a larger generator down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check the breaker size, def gonna do the 50 amp feed into the house as I also have another gen with 50A plug but "powerland" went out of business so prob going to sell that one, I also have a 4500 watt champion inverter as well but only 120v. Doing all this just in case we have had a couple outages over the years but never know here in Commiefornia as there is just barely enough power here.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'd stick with the 30A and then just balance the 120V loads between the two legs. A dual-meter setup should suffice.

Based on the schematic, you can only get 50% of the capacity on each 120V leg. Balance your load on both legs to get to the full rating (or at least, most of the rating) out of the generator.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, new member here just picked up a "new" westinghouse wpro8500 8500/11500 gen, basically the predecessor to the wgen9500 but with 5% THD, they made these for 2-3 years and in the last part of the run they added a 50A plug vs the L14-30r which mine has, is there any way to add a 50A plug and breaker like the newer versions? I also plan a tri fuel conversion which will probably drop running watts to around 7000-7500 watts on NG so then I think to myself why a 50A plug when the 30A is good for 7200. If it is possible is it even worth doing? My house is around 2k sq ft, I have absolutely nothing on 240 but still has 2 240 breakers which one (stove) is only using one leg for my gas stove, we have all window A/C units on 120v no central air. I plan on adding a 50A plug to my house and that's another issue as I have the "pushmatic" breakers so no interlocks for those. Here is a pic of the generator and the specs. Westinghouse WPro8500 8500/11500W Portable Generator: User Review & Specs View attachment 12680
That model puzzles me in that it uses the same engine as the 9500 but specifications are 1000 watts less but with lower THD. Why change out the plug on the generator instead of building an adapter for the 30 amp outlet for your 50 amp power cord to the house?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That model puzzles me in that it uses the same engine as the 9500 but specifications are 1000 watts less but with lower THD. Why change out the plug on the generator instead of building an adapter for the 30 amp outlet for your 50 amp power cord to the house?
That was my first thought since I already have a cord with a 50 amp plug, I was looking at the 9500 but wanted low thd got this one for 750.00 brand new seemed like a solid deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd stick with the 30A and then just balance the 120V loads between the two legs. A dual-meter setup should suffice.

Based on the schematic, you can only get 50% of the capacity on each 120V leg. Balance your load on both legs to get to the full rating (or at least, most of the rating) out of the generator.
How does a dual meter setup work, I am a plumber and my electrical knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How does a dual meter setup work, I am a plumber and my electrical knowledge is limited.
You basically wire two meters to monitor voltage, current, wattage, etc. of each 120V leg. An electrician will be able to build one for you.

Just a primer of how it works:

The meters should be in an electrical box enclosure, in-line with the extension cord (as in the video above), mounted on the generator, or mounted near your electrical panel.

The idea is to make sure that your loads are spread among the two legs. If the generator has a system capacity of 7,200 W, each leg will be able to handle 3,600 W each. Try to keep either legs from reaching 3,600 W and they should be no more than a few hundreds up to a kilowatt (1,000 W) apart.

Ex1:
Meter1: 2,000 W
Meter2: 2,500 W
500W apart... this is ok.

Ex2:
Meter1: 3,200 W
Meter2: 800 W
2,400W apart.... Try to move some of your load from Leg1 to Leg2 to make it more balanced

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, new member here just picked up a "new" westinghouse wpro8500 8500/11500 gen, basically the predecessor to the wgen9500 but with 5% THD, they made these for 2-3 years and in the last part of the run they added a 50A plug vs the L14-30r which mine has, is there any way to add a 50A plug and breaker like the newer versions? I also plan a tri fuel conversion which will probably drop running watts to around 7000-7500 watts on NG so then I think to myself why a 50A plug when the 30A is good for 7200. If it is possible is it even worth doing? My house is around 2k sq ft, I have absolutely nothing on 240 but still has 2 240 breakers which one (stove) is only using one leg for my gas stove, we have all window A/C units on 120v no central air. I plan on adding a 50A plug to my house and that's another issue as I have the "pushmatic" breakers so no interlocks for those. Here is a pic of the generator and the specs. Westinghouse WPro8500 8500/11500W Portable Generator: User Review & Specs View attachment 12680
Don't cut on the generator panel. One of these is all you need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have used the WPro 8500 with the 30 amp plug for almost two years. Interlock kit on the main panel. It has performed flawlessly! I don't use the central air, dryer or electric stove during outages. All other circuits are 120v and it handles everything just fine. FYI.....Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts