Power Equipment Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unless you run your generator often, your battery will lose power just sitting waiting for an emergence to happen.
I use this... Automatic Battery Float Charger

I use one on my riding mower, and on my car, been doing that for around 7 yrs now, works very well.
It only maintains the charge in the battery, it doesn't charge it. So it needs to be plugged in all the time.

They usually go on sale for $5, I bought a few of them in case one burns out.

Let us know when you get the generator/starter working.

Smoke
I use Ctek battery charger maintainers on everything. I just had to replace the battery on my riding mower, and took the old one in for exchange and learned that I had it for five years. I have the maintainers on the mower, my big generator, the wife's car and my diesel truck with two batteries. Batteries will still go bad but they last much longer when a maintainer is used. On the car and truck they are installed under the hood and I have an extension cord exiting through the grill so they are plugged in nightly

·
Registered
71 Posts
jkingrph Ctek has a broad range of battery charger maintainers...so you permanently attach them to the underside of your hood and plug them in a wall receptacle each day/night or when your not going to use the vehicle for an extendible amount of time?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update on Generator... starter is cranking it fine, a little noise that sounds odd but I am planning to remove it and examine the gear teeth. Some of the noise might be the orientation of the starter with the exhaust manifold.

Just glad to have a starter, so I will check the few things I mentioned and if it still makes the noise, it will just make the noise. Better for me to have a starter with a little noise during crank up than no starter at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Update on Generator... starter is cranking it fine, a little noise that sounds odd but I am planning to remove it and examine the gear teeth. Some of the noise might be the orientation of the starter with the exhaust manifold.

Just glad to have a starter, so I will check the few things I mentioned and if it still makes the noise, it will just make the noise. Better for me to have a starter with a little noise during crank up than no starter at all.
Great to hear you have it set up and working.
As far as the noise goes, if this is for emergency use only, consider just how often the starter will actually get used per year as far as any wear goes.

As you know about looking for wear on the gear teeth, if you paint the teeth white on the starter, reinstall and start a few times the wear pattern will be more apparent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Smoke, do you know what the male connector is for the ETQ plug in...the one that connects to the generator?
It has 4 blades/connection...I got these Letters and numbers off of the female connecting point on the generator.
WC596/120-1 20A-125/250VGRDG. This if for connecting the Generator to the house. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Paul for the link for the wiring diagrams. I went back and looked at the outlet and it also has, NEMA L14-20 stamped into it.

The closest loking connector in the diagrams is the L14-20R. The receptacle for the Breaker panel is 3-prong but has 4 locations for wires.

I'm trying to load some pictures to give a visual of what everything looks like, so far haven't been able too.

What gauge and type wire would I need to make the connection to the 2 connectors?

The generator will be at least 25' from the B.P. tie in.

Charles

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
fat is nice!!
always go the next larger size from the charts.
at 20 amps I like 10-4 gauge in the short gen runs.

unless you want to leave room for system expansion later.

I run 6 gauge now on all of the new systems...
that way you have room to change out the breakers and sockets to the larger stuff.
and you only buy and run the wire once. and yes I do like steel conduit.

nice over kill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
fat is nice!!
always go the next larger size from the charts.
at 20 amps I like 10-4 gauge in the short gen runs.

unless you want to leave room for system expansion later.

I run 6 gauge now on all of the new systems...
that way you have room to change out the breakers and sockets to the larger stuff.
and you only buy and run the wire once. and yes I do like steel conduit.

nice over kill.
Alright, good advice...I like the idea of being set up for expansion. Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
jkingrph Ctek has a broad range of battery charger maintainers...so you permanently attach them to the underside of your hood and plug them in a wall receptacle each day/night or when your not going to use the vehicle for an extendible amount of time?
That is exactly what I do. When we had a freestanding carport built about 20 years ago, I had electric outlets installed on each side so I could service each vehicle . I may not connect every night, but my wife's Mercury will discharge a battery in about two weeks, if not either run regularly or plugged in to the maintainer if we are gone for any length of time. The maintainers are permanently attached, tied down with zip ties. I actually put an extension cord and run through the grill on each vehicle so it is convenient.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That is exactly what I do. When we had a freestanding carport built about 20 years ago, I had electric outlets installed on each side so I could service each vehicle . I may not connect every night, but my wife's Mercury will discharge a battery in about two weeks, if not either run regularly or plugged in to the maintainer if we are gone for any length of time. The maintainers are permanently attached, tied down with zip ties. I actually put an extension cord and run through the grill on each vehicle so it is convenient.
yup the new batteries are not as good as they used to be..
and with all the stuff on the modern cars..
drain is an issue even when the car is working proper!!

I use the chargers year round on the fleet.
and use block heaters with a custom y cord for one extension cord connection.
and just unplug the block heaters in the spring and connect them back up when the temps start dipping below 20 deg f at night on the gas units..
and 50 deg f on the diesels.
sure it costs a bit to heat the block.. but it saves on the start up fuel as well as wear on a cold engine...
and saves starters when it is below zero!
click here for the battery charger page
I like the solar brand charger now... they have been working perfect!
and slim size is easy t hide on the late model cars and trucks as well as generators with electric start!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts