Power Equipment Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Okay, I'll try what you suggested...was looking at what I paid for their muffler and it was $63.13 which I would gladly pay for the correct one.

Let you know how the trouble shooting turns out.
Ok cool, btw you don't have to get "their" muffler, just one that fits with the starter and stays out of the way, because it's hot :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been searching for my glasses since your last post...definitely gonna need them. Those mufflers, like you said, are definitely Hot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Smoke....... been working/scratching my head, since your last post. I pulled the top cover off and eventually I was able to get the starter holes lined up. A lot of the time I spent researching ideas about a different ex-manifold and pipe.

Finally decided to try again and was able to line up both hole but solenoid still touches the exhaust Manifold.
Only thing I did different was remove the panel over the de-compress lever. I put some medium strength thread locker (blue) on the starter bolts and will try to start it after I recover...I'm wiped out.

I have to sort out the wires, Red and yellow from control panel, yellow has female adapter and the male end is on the solenoid. Solenoid has 2 threaded lugs, 1 goes to the starter and the other must go to Pos. post on battery.
Battery has a ground going to the frame...so not sure where the red wire with the eyelet goes. Has to be one of the lugs on the solenoid.

Thanks for all your help.

Charles

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Great you got it to fit, take a break :)
I have looked at pictures of the 178f engine and it seems as though the solenoid aluminum "housing" does touch the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the engine.
But the actual solenoid does not. If that is the case It seems normal.

The wiring I am really guessing myself, but if you look at the picture on amazon of the starter you purchased, there is a wire with a rubber boot on it coming out of the starter going to the solenoid. Seems to bolt to .stud on the right side as you look at them. (engine side) It may already be attached.
The other Is for the large red positive cable. There should be another small red wire that goes on the same stud as the positive cable.

Finally another small wire plugs onto the stub (no nut) color unknown.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Smoke Thank you for the link, mine looks similar to the one you posted with the solenoid not touching the exhaust manifold.

The new and my old starter and solenoid looks like the one pictured but mine is a lot older.

Thank you for explaining the wire set up. That boot and wire does go from starter to solenoid and I agree the red wire does go on the lug that the battery Pos. wire bolts to.

When the generator is running, does it also keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Smoke Thank you for the link, mine looks similar to the one you posted with the solenoid not touching the exhaust manifold.

The new and my old starter and solenoid looks like the one pictured but mine is a lot older.

Thank you for explaining the wire set up. That boot and wire does go from starter to solenoid and I agree the red wire does go on the lug that the battery Pos. wire bolts to.

When the generator is running, does it also keep the battery charged?
The engine magneto generates the electricity to charge the battery when the engine is running.
I don't believe the "Generator" that produces emergency elec charges the battery though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, I've never thought that through but assumed the battery had to have something keeping it charged. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Okay, I've never thought that through but assumed the battery had to have something keeping it charged. Thanks
Unless you run your generator often, your battery will lose power just sitting waiting for an emergence to happen.
I use this... Automatic Battery Float Charger

I use one on my riding mower, and on my car, been doing that for around 7 yrs now, works very well.
It only maintains the charge in the battery, it doesn't charge it. So it needs to be plugged in all the time.

They usually go on sale for $5, I bought a few of them in case one burns out.

Let us know when you get the generator/starter working.

Smoke

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had that same problem with batteries, Thank you for the tip and I will pick up several.

Usually I try and crank them and sometimes have to break out the jumper cables.

Hope to have it running shortly (this morning) I'm gonna have to buy a battery for it....would you know off hand how many amp battery I should get?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The manual states
"all diesel generators need to have a battery with a minimum of 36 ~ 38 amp hours"
The picture in the manual shows a 6-ma-28s Flying eagle battery whatever that is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Flying Eagle, I'm like you, never heard that brand before but I'll get the 36-38 amp hours battery. Thank you and I'll get back with you when I get it cranked. Instead of making a trip to town, I think I'll put my riding LM battery in to see if all the hook ups are correct..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Smoke, must have wiring issues...LM Batt. is 235 cranking amps and when I turned on the key, the solenoid made a noise and that's all.

Tried touching the two posts on solenoid w/ screwdriver and still nothing. Batt. is putting out 12.47 volts.
So it might be a while before I figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Just a note, cranking amps is not the same as amp hours, the battery may not be powerful enough.
I remember old (fords) having a separate solenoid, if the battery was weak it would just make a clicking sound.

If you have one, I would try an electric charger/starter, the starter of course.
Or jumper cables to a car battery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, I have charger and cables..but jumper cables sound the easiest to do. Thank you,.

I remember old (fords) having a separate solenoid, if the battery was weak it would just make a clicking sound.

I have them on 4 vehicles, so know what you mean.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did the jumper cables and it started right up. Making a clanging noise tho....may need to shim the starter,

Tried it on rope and didn't make the clanging noise so definitely must be starter/flywheel alignment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Did the jumper cables and it started right up. Making a clanging noise tho....may need to shim the starter,

Tried it on rope and didn't make the clanging noise so definitely must be starter/flywheel alignment.
Great at least it started, so the wiring is good, the starter works, and the clockwise direction is correct.
I'm not sure about the clanging noise, strange it doesn't do it with hand start. Perhaps shimming.

It does seem though that a diesel requires a stronger battery for starting, which means more $

At least it's functional (y)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Just thinking about it, it could be a bad bendix spring, one thing to try is right after starting rap the starter with something and see if the clanging noise goes away.

One thing you don't want to do is leave the starter engaged to the engine flywheel while running the engine, that could/will damage the starter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just thinking about it, it could be a bad bendix spring, one thing to try is right after starting rap the starter with something and see if the clanging noise goes away.

It only makes the clanging noise while the starter is engaging the F. Wheel to start it then it's quite. But I will crank it w/starter and rap the starter and then turn the Gen, off. Then I'll start it again and see if the noise has gone away or still making the clanging noise.

Just seems peculiar that it only does it with the starter and not when you pull the rope to start it.

I'll get back with you when I have done the above. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

It only makes the clanging noise while the starter is engaging the F. Wheel to start it then it's quite. But I will crank it w/starter and rap the starter and then turn the Gen, off. Then I'll start it again and see if the noise has gone away or still making the clanging noise.

Just seems peculiar that it only does it with the starter and not when you pull the rope to start it.

I'll get back with you when I have done the above. Thank you for your advice.
Ah I didn't understand, not the bendix spring then, forget about rapping the starter.
I believe you were correct it's a matter of shimming.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts