Power Equipment Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you saying you have a ccw rotation?

I just looked up the manual on that engine and it says clockwise, or perhaps I am confused.
What I did was crank it...let it run 10 -15 mins. and when I turned it off I watched the fly wheel.
Too much vibration as flywheel settled down, so I cranked it again and turned off the fuel and watched it, still hard to tell so turned it back off and had a late brain storm....

Just pull the rope cord and see which way the FW turns...it rotated downward as I faced the FW.
So that's how I determined the starter had to rotate it CCW to crank it.
Wait, hold everything...I just grabbed the starter and there is resistance when I rotate the gear CW and no resistance when I rotate it CCW.

But if it's like a car starter the bendix engages the starter motor gear into the FW to crank and then disengages when the car is running.

Heck, now I'm confused.

I just looked up the manual on that engine and it says clockwise, or perhaps I am confused.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
What I did was crank it...let it run 10 -15 mins. and when I turned it off I watched the fly wheel.
Too much vibration as flywheel settled down, so I cranked it again and turned off the fuel and watched it, still hard to tell so turned it back off and had a late brain storm....

Just pull the rope cord and see which way the FW turns...it rotated downward as I faced the FW.
So that's how I determined the starter had to rotate it CCW to crank it.
Wait, hold everything...I just grabbed the starter and there is resistance when I rotate the gear CW and no resistance when I rotate it CCW.

But if it's like a car starter the bendix engages the starter motor gear into the FW to crank and then disengages when the car is running.

Heck, now I'm confused.

[/QUOTE]

From what I understand the starter cw or ccw is not dependent on the function of the starter, it's dependent on the cw or ccw of the "motor" if the motor is cw then you need the cw listed starter, if the motor is ccw then you need the ccw listed starter.

I can tell by looking at the crank pull handle.

If this is your generator, I can tell by looking at the hand starter that it is a cw motor.

I will try to find a pic of a ccw type pull hand starter

Ok they are rare, but his is a pick of a ccw recoil starter. Notice the difference with the direction of the pull handle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, just looked at mine and the pull handle is at 7 o' clock and you pull it up...so that would be CW rotation.

Thank you for preventing me from ordering the wrong starter and all the research you did to steer me in the right direction.

So back to AMazon to complete order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
From what I understand the starter cw or ccw is not dependent on the function of the starter, it's dependent on the cw or ccw of the "motor" if the motor is cw then you need the cw listed starter, if the motor is ccw then you need the ccw listed starter.

I can tell by looking at the crank pull handle.

If this is your generator, I can tell by looking at the hand starter that it is a cw motor.

I will try to find a pic of a ccw type pull hand starter
[/QUOTE]
Okay, just looked at mine and the pull handle is at 7 o' clock and you pull it up...so that would be CW rotation.

Thank you for preventing me from ordering the wrong starter and all the research you did to steer me in the right direction.

So back to AMazon to complete order.
You are quite welcome, let me/us know how you make out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been thinking about something, I'd like your opinion on, I did send a Contact to ZHEDAN-US saying I needed a CCW
starter but after the information you provided, I placed the order and it only showed CW, so do I need to send another Contact post to them informing them that I was wrong and I need a CW rotation starter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Been thinking about something, I'd like your opinion on, I did send a Contact to ZHEDAN-US saying I needed a CCW
starter but after th e information you provided, I placed the order and it only showed CW, so do I need to send another Contact post to them informing them that I was wrong and I need a CW rotation starter?
Two different Amazon listings for each starter, If you ordered from the one with clockwise CW in the title, that's the one you will get.

They gave me the part number for the CCW starter which is a different listing in Amazon.

And I see now there are only 3 of the CW left for sale, there were 4. Yours must have been one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, family arrived from the LA. affected Hurricane Laura...the one I ordered did say CW.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you for that explanation,
I just got done checking my starting and running wattage of the appliances I "need" to run,
Ref, ............. 168w running 673w starting. 100ft 12ga extension cord @ 168 running watts I don't see a problem. Should be good for 1500w @ 100 ft.
Freezer 7cu 165w running 496w starting 25ft 12ga extension cord with the second freezer on the same line total 336 running watts.
Freezer 5 cu 167w running ???w starting I missed it, I will assume 500w starting.

Total 500w running 1670w starting.... IF all 3 start at once. I would stagger them starting up on the Gen.

On my 3500/3000 that leaves me with another 1000w staying at 50% running load.

Enough to occasionally run a small microwave, 1000w

I could also run my HW heat pump If needed, running watts 900 Starting I'm not sure, as even starting it never went over 900w / 7.37a

So even if I ran it all it would add up to 2500 ish watts running.
I would not run it all at the same time of course in case 2 of the ref/freez units cycled on at the same time, that would push me to the max even for a moment.

So 2500 running watt potential is at 20 amps,

The single gen cord with 3 outlets would allow me to use a separate cord for the second freezer.
And keep all the loads running even if I went over 20a even momentarily with water heater or micro.

Sounds like a plan, I will send for that gen cord. even if I don't use it for another 9 yrs lol.

I will redo my starting amps/watts when I get a new clamp meter with the inrush feature.

Thank you and everyone. :)
The single gen cord with 3 outlets would allow me to use a separate cord for the second freezer.
And keep all the loads running even if I went over 20a even momentarily with water heater or micro.

Smoke, trying to follow the logic on the thread above, in simple terms would it be something that would benefit my situation also?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Smoke, trying to follow the logic on the thread above, in simple terms would it be something that would benefit my situation also?
My gen cord came in yesterday, today I fired it up and tested it out.
I previously had an issue with my large microwave in the kitchen, it pulls 17.4 amps about 2122 watts running on hi power.
I was running it off of the regular 20amp gfi gen outlets, it would run for about 6 seconds and then pop the gfi on the gen.
I would have to run the micro at 50% pwr for it to work. It's an inverter micro so 50% is really 50%.

Running with the new gen cord, no issue at all. Ran it for a couple of min.
Got a chance to adjust my Hz setting to run at 60 under load as well.

New cord now in storage waiting for the next emergency. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

All I was doing was posting out loud about my gen requirements (size) for the appliances (stuff) I need to run.
Seems like a 3000 will do it, Of course because of my micro drawing so much, I will unplug everything else when I need to run it.

I think everyone should know what their (stuff) draws and startup draws when planning for an outage that could last for days.
Or when considering a new gen.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
All I was doing was posting out loud about my gen requirements (size) for the appliances (stuff) I need to run.
Seems like a 3000 will do it, Of course because of my micro drawing so much, I will unplug everything else when I need to run it.

I think everyone should know what their (stuff) draws and startup draws when planning for an outage that could last for days.
Or when considering a new gen.
i use paint pens or silver or black sharpies to make every thing i run.
that way i can plan my run power.

small rice cooker, crock pots etc work great for long outages!
there are multi use rice cookers now that are under 600 watts.

if you are creative you can make stick on tags by color for run power.

see exactly what your load is!! see the below link;
click here for the generator connection page with panel meter page

·
Registered
66 Posts
Smoke...new starter will not fit into the cavity all the way....also the old one, when lined up with Bolt Holes, the solenoid sits at 9 o clock, between the exhaust manifold and frame.

New one, the solenoid sits against the exhaust manifold and still needs to turn CW so the bolt holes will line up.

Can't think of any way to make the new one fit, just isn't the same orientation as the old one which still slips right in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Unfortunatley it's not the correct part, even though the description says it is for your engine.
Do the return thing in amazon and list the item is listed incorrectly.
Amazon will take care of it. It may take a few contacts as it is a third party but Amazon will reiemburse you, if the vendor does not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Smoke, wanted to get your opinion or anyone else following this thread, regarding the response from the 3rd party who lists the product on Amazon.

Count​
Product Name and ASIN​
1​
product image
12V Diesel Engine Start Motor Pump For 170F 173F 178F 186F 188F 192F Air-Cooled Diesel Engine Electric Starter Generator Set (Clockwise)
ASIN: B08BBWYL94

Hello charles,
We're so sorry to have inconvenienced you.
The product you received is no problem. Our products are clockwise. There is no problem with the product design.
After analysis by our professional technicians, to achieve the effect you described, it must be refited.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
ZHEDAN-US after-sales customer service

....and my reply:

Hi, received your e-mail ....and don't follow what your saying/suggesting?

The starter you sent me will not rotate enough for me to line up the bolt holes.

The exhaust manifold is preventing it from lining up with them because the solenoid is pressed against the exhaust manifold.

Your starter lacks approximately 1" of rotation for the bolt holes to line up.
but the present solenoid orientation, would still be in direct contact with the exhaust manifold.

The starter I removed, the solenoid was at the 9 o'clock position when installed while the one I received from you is at the 11 o'clock position and needs to rotate to the 12 o'clock position for the bolt holes to line up.....
which would still have the solenoid in direct contact with the exhaust manifold.

So I'm puzzled as to what you are referring to in your e-mail.

Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Hi Smoke, wanted to get your opinion or anyone else following this thread, regarding the response from the 3rd party who lists the product on Amazon.

Count​
Product Name and ASIN​
1​
product image
12V Diesel Engine Start Motor Pump For 170F 173F 178F 186F 188F 192F Air-Cooled Diesel Engine Electric Starter Generator Set (Clockwise)

Hello charles,
The product you received is no problem. Our products are clockwise. There is no problem with the product design.
After analysis by our professional technicians, to achieve the effect you described, it must be refited.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,

....and my reply:

Hi, received your e-mail ....and don't follow what your saying/suggesting?

The starter you sent me will not rotate enough for me to line up the bolt holes.

The exhaust manifold is preventing it from lining up with them because the solenoid is pressed against the exhaust manifold.

Your starter lacks approximately 1" of rotation for the bolt holes to line up.
but the present solenoid orientation, would still be in direct contact with the exhaust manifold.

The starter I removed, the solenoid was at the 9 o'clock position when installed while the one I received from you is at the 11 o'clock position and needs to rotate to the 12 o'clock position for the bolt holes to line up.....
which would still have the solenoid in direct contact with the exhaust manifold.

So I'm puzzled as to what you are referring to in your e-mail.

Thank you
See what their next reply is, looking at the picture of the unit and their first reply I don't understand them either.
But who knows perhaps they have a way it can be done we are not seeing.

Wait a day or two for their reply, if it still doesn't not work and they insist it does, contact Amazon, they will use their abc guaranty and the money will be refunded to you in a few days.

Edit, is it the manifold getting in the way or just the muffler? Would it fit/work if the muffler was changed to a different style?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Smoke....Thank you for your reply....I had to think and go out to look at the Generator to determine if it was the manifold or muffler.

Edit, is it the manifold getting in the way or just the muffler? Would it fit/work if the muffler was changed to a different style?

The manifold and muffler are one complete assembly. Hadn't thought about if a different assembly would work or not.

They did send me an e-mail, which.....well you read it and see what you interpret from it.

1​
product image

Hello charles,
According to the problem you describe, our technical staff said that our products are temporarily unable to achieve the effect you want. We are sorry for this.
If you are willing to keep this product, we are willing to refund $30 as compensation.
If you are not willing, you can return the product. We will give you a full refund.
Looking forward to your reply.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,

...still don't follow some of their thinking. Why would I want to keep an item that doesn't fit the generator I have,

It almost sounds like a computer generated message...and if it is, she is very nice as to be willing to provide a refund.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi Smoke....Thank you for your reply....I had to think and go out to look at the Generator to determine if it was the manifold or muffler.

The manifold and muffler are one complete assembly. Hadn't thought about if a different assembly would work or not.

They did send me an e-mail, which.....well you read it and see what you interpret from it.

1​
product image

Hello charles,
According to the problem you describe, our technical staff said that our products are temporarily unable to achieve the effect you want. We are sorry for this.
If you are willing to keep this product, we are willing to refund $30 as compensation.
If you are not willing, you can return the product. We will give you a full refund.
Looking forward to your reply.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,

...still don't follow some of their thinking. Why would I want to keep an item that doesn't fit the generator I have,

It almost sounds like a computer generated message...and if it is, she is very nice as to be willing to provide a refund.
Probably what they are doing is trying to save shipping and restocking charges by having you keep it for $30 .
they ARE offering a refund if you ship it back, you may have to pay for the shipping.

What I would do... Check to make sure the starter works, test it off the engine.
If it does work and spins the correct way...
I would remove the manifold and muffler, attach the starter and test it again, it will of course be loud.
If it works, I would look for a different style muffler that will work.

I haven't replaced mufflers for a long time, but when you remove the old muffler see if the "hole" is threaded, there are mufflers that simply screw in.
There are also flexible extension pipes to relocate a muffler.

If the starter works, get the 30 buck discount and use that for a new muffler design that works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, I'll try what you suggested...was looking at what I paid for their muffler and it was $63.13 which I would gladly pay for the correct one.

Let you know how the trouble shooting turns out.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts