Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have a 9 yr old ETQ 3500/3000 Propane Generator.
I used it for the first time about 3 months ago when we lost power for 2 days, worked just fine.

One refrigerator 18 cf, and two small chest freezers 7 cf and 5 cf. and small stuff eg. cell phone charger,

My question is, what would be the advantage (if any) to using a round gen cord rated at 30 amps (125V L5-30R )
with three 20 amp outlets to bring into the house VS just using extension cords from the built in two 20 amp gfi (120V 20amp GFCI outlets)
Besides a third outlet.

I read somewhere that if I use the (125V L5-30R ) I would be using both windings in the gen
But if I use the (120V 20amp GFCI outlets) I only use one winding.

Gen cord I am looking at is

Any advantage?
Or Should I just stick with using regular extension cords and the (120V 20amp GFCI outlets) 12 ga cords btw.

Thanks,
Smoke

·
Registered
219 Posts
From my experience the single outlets are powered off of the breaker. One gets power from one leg of the generator and one gets power from the other leg.
So basically the 120 volt outlets are balanced and you only have 20 amps.
The 30 amp plug allows the full 30 amps and is balanced even better.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That generator is only 120V (not 240V), so only has a single 30A peak 120V output leg. That cord is easier to manage than multiple 5-20R cords, but you're only going to get 25A continuous and 29A starting out of it... The three outlets are just wired in parallel.

If you had a 240V generator with an L14-30R, you could get a 4x 5-20R cord that would have two receptacles from each leg.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That generator is only 120V (not 240V), so only has a single 30A peak 120V output leg. That cord is easier to manage than multiple 5-20R cords, but you're only going to get 25A continuous and 29A starting out of it... The three outlets are just wired in parallel.

If you had a 240V generator with an L14-30R, you could get a 4x 5-20R cord that would have two receptacles from each leg.
Thank you for that explanation, So there are not 2 separate windings as it's only 120v as you stated.
That clears up that issue. (y)
That then brings me to the matter of convenience of having the addition gen cord. Not necessarily any functional improvement for my requirements.

I am obviously a newb at generators, even if I have owned one for 9 yrs.
What you said makes perfect sense, and I thank you very much.

EDIT... Perhaps the Gen cord would be useful, after thinking about it the two regular outlets are NOT 20a each but 20a combined.
As you said at least I could get 25a out of the gen cord setup.
When a new generator is needed I will be looking for a 240V.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thank you for that explanation, So there are not 2 separate windings as it's only 120v as you stated.
That clears up that issue. (y)
That then brings me to the matter of convenience of having the addition gen cord. Not necessarily any functional improvement for my requirements.

I am obviously a newb at generators, even if I have owned one for 9 yrs.
What you said makes perfect sense, and I thank you very much.

EDIT... Perhaps the Gen cord would be useful, after thinking about it the two regular outlets are NOT 20a each but 20a combined.
As you said at least I could get 25a out of the gen cord setup.
When a new generator is needed I will be looking for a 240V.
look at the honda eu7000is gen set.
more money but they work great!!
fuel injected now and has real good clean power!
click here for the honda eu7000is pages
there is tri fuel as well as connection ideas there too!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
look at the honda eu7000is gen set.
more money but they work great!!
fuel injected now and has real good clean power!
click here for the honda eu7000is pages
there is tri fuel as well as connection ideas there too!!
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm sure it's a nice Gen, and if I had frequent usage I would consider it.
My Gen usage is for backup only, right now mine has only been used once for a total of about 16 hrs or so over 2 days after sitting in storage for 9 yrs.
Only 1x in 27 yrs here did I have a need for a gen. Might be next week... who knows.
For now this one will do, unless I get an itch to upgrade it :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i guess i value my computer controlled electronics gear...
i would never use an avr gen with my gear in house..
way too sensitive of gear...
and pricy as well...
the eu7000is gen set is cheap insurance for me...
and it holds value!!

ask any of the folks in cali right now trying to run on low cost gens..
most of them are not happy..
noise, fuel consumption. power quality...

yea break out in hives (lol)
and get itchy for the upgrade to a Honda eu7000is!! you will be glad you did!!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
There are three advantages to using the 10gauge l5-30 cord. The convenience of a single cord connected at the generator. You wont trip the breaker if you are consuming over 20 amps. If the l530 cord allows you to use shorter branch extension cords then you are reducing voltage drop at the appliances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are three advantages to using the 10gauge l5-30 cord. The convenience of a single cord connected at the generator. You wont trip the breaker if you are consuming over 20 amps. If the l530 cord allows you to use shorter branch extension cords then you are reducing voltage drop at the appliances.
Thank you for that explanation,
I just got done checking my starting and running wattage of the appliances I "need" to run,
Ref, ............. 168w running 673w starting. 100ft 12ga extension cord @ 168 running watts I don't see a problem. Should be good for 1500w @ 100 ft.
Freezer 7cu 165w running 496w starting 25ft 12ga extension cord with the second freezer on the same line total 336 running watts.
Freezer 5 cu 167w running ???w starting I missed it, I will assume 500w starting.

Total 500w running 1670w starting.... IF all 3 start at once. I would stagger them starting up on the Gen.

On my 3500/3000 that leaves me with another 1000w staying at 50% running load.

Enough to occasionally run a small microwave, 1000w

I could also run my HW heat pump If needed, running watts 900 Starting I'm not sure, as even starting it never went over 900w / 7.37a

So even if I ran it all it would add up to 2500 ish watts running.
I would not run it all at the same time of course in case 2 of the ref/freez units cycled on at the same time, that would push me to the max even for a moment.

So 2500 running watt potential is at 20 amps,

The single gen cord with 3 outlets would allow me to use a separate cord for the second freezer.
And keep all the loads running even if I went over 20a even momentarily with water heater or micro.

Sounds like a plan, I will send for that gen cord. even if I don't use it for another 9 yrs lol.

I will redo my starting amps/watts when I get a new clamp meter with the inrush feature.

Thank you and everyone. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Greetings,
I have a 9 yr old ETQ 3500/3000 Propane Generator.
I used it for the first time about 3 months ago when we lost power for 2 days, worked just fine.

One refrigerator 18 cf, and two small chest freezers 7 cf and 5 cf. and small stuff eg. cell phone charger,

My question is, what would be the advantage (if any) to using a round gen cord rated at 30 amps (125V L5-30R )
with three 20 amp outlets to bring into the house VS just using extension cords from the built in two 20 amp gfi (120V 20amp GFCI outlets)
Besides a third outlet.

I read somewhere that if I use the (125V L5-30R ) I would be using both windings in the gen
But if I use the (120V 20amp GFCI outlets) I only use one winding.

Gen cord I am looking at is

Any advantage?
Or Should I just stick with using regular extension cords and the (120V 20amp GFCI outlets) 12 ga cords btw.

Thanks,
Smoke
Noticed your post regarding your ETQ...does your have a starter motor and if so, where can I find one for mine?
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Noticed your post regarding your ETQ...does your have a starter motor and if so, where can I find one for mine?
Thanks
Hi, My ETQ is from a company that no longer exists, the Name ETQ was sold and ETQ Gens made today are not the same company.
That said my starter motor is a pull cord. I do not have battery start if that's what you are referring to.

Perhaps try this site.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks
I just looked up your other posts you have a 178f engine ?
Try this... $60

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, My ETQ is from a company that no longer exists, the Name ETQ was sold and ETQ Gens made today are not the same company.
That said my starter motor is a pull cord. I do not have battery start if that's what you are referring to.

Perhaps try this site.
Yes, I was aware of that, Eastern Tools ......mine is also pull cord but is a diesel, I can crank it with that method but my wife can't.

Thank you for the reply and link.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just looked up your other posts you have a 178f engine ?
Try this... $60
Yes on the engine...is the '"Try this"..... $60 what a starter will cost or some other meaning?

I'll try the loink and again Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mine also has DG4LE on the emblem...didn't notice that on the item listed, is that a problem?
Mine is a gas Propane engine, but I looked up yours as a general search and found that link.
I have not dealt with the supplier.

Also, depending on what part of the housing for the starter cracked, if it's metal you might try JB Weld to fix it, great stuff, I have fixed many things with it including cracked engine crankcases.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Problem is,I have no idea where the piece of nose cone is. I sent the supplier an e-mail but so far no response, ask me if I'm surprised?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 82 Posts