Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone I have a 3 phase generator rated at 6.5kva that I need to power a machine rated at 4kw the only problem is the machine is only single phase what's the best way to get it to run on the generator? The machine is currently wired to a 5 pin 16 amp plug wired to earth neutral and L1 on the 5 pin plug but this seems to be overloading the generator. What's the best way to get this to work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This question is a good one for @KRE.
But, I'll take a stab: My guess is you're running right the edge of the generator's capability.

The difference between kw and kva is pf. Still, even if we assume a .92 pf ... theoretically ... the generator would pull that load, but it is now fully and completely maxed out with nothing left; once the frequency and/or voltage begins to droop it can't recover.

There is another factor that relates to the output and that is the design of the regulation. The issue of severe unbalanced loading of the windings - never a good thing even with large commercial generators that usually have a robust reserve in mechanical and electrical capabilities- may interfere with the generator's AVR, depending upon its design.

Unless the generator is capable of reconfiguring, then you might be looking at either a 3 ph -to- single ph transformer, or, a properly wired & spec'd generator for 120/240 output.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the heat have anything to do with it it was sat in direct sunlight about 26 degrees centigrade

·
Registered
373 Posts
Morning everyone I have a 3 phase generator rated at 6.5kva that I need to power a machine rated at 4kw the only problem is the machine is only single phase what's the best way to get it to run on the generator? The machine is currently wired to a 5 pin 16 amp plug wired to earth neutral and L1 on the 5 pin plug but this seems to be overloading the generator. What's the best way to get this to work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What is the load your trying to power? Is it a reactive or resistive load? Normally when using a genset that is rated for 3 phase, but powering a single phase load you have to reduce the KVA rating by 33.33% as you are not loading all of the stator coils, evenly. The KW rating remains the same as that rating is at the flywheel an does not change. If you trying to power a reactive load, remember as voltage goes down, amperage goes up. In a resistive load as voltage goes down so does amperage, but also in a resistive load as voltage goes up, amperage does as well. To help you further I need to know what the load is.

Contrary to whats been side above depending on load you can use two (2) single phase transformers hooked to a gen set wired for 3 phase an pull single phase off it. Now that said, as long as you do not exceed the amperage rating of the stator windings on any leg you can just pull from any two (2) legs an not hurt the stator.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Its 16 amp 230v, 4kw
Again is this a reactive (motor or transformer) load, or is this a resistive (heating) load. Or are you trying to power a device that charges a battery bank, that is full of SCR's, ect? Or a combo of all the above???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again is this a reactive (motor or transformer) load, or is this a resistive (heating) load. Or are you trying to power a device that charges a battery bank, that is full of SCR's, ect? Or a combo of all the above???
Ill not sure it's a carbon cleaning machine that splits water into hydrogen and oxygen

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's the second one down the CC-16
Based upon the spec's of the machine and your generator, my advice is to buy a larger single phase gen set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts