Power Equipment Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I get that the alt needs to spin at a given speed to maintain electrical frequency. Is that hz?
Hz = Hertz = cycles per second.

How that relates to an alternator (watch the video I linked to) - the amount of poles an alternator has (motor in the case of the video, but again the physics are the same - just reversed) and the RPM of the alternator determines the "frequency" - because the coils are passed through those alternating magnets (north and south poles). The rate at which the coils pass through the magnetic fields determines the frequency (the cycles per second of the resultant AC wave, represented as the unit Hz, or Hertz).

·
Registered
306 Posts
lol
well here i go!
I vote save up your pop cans and buy the honda eu7000is!
they are well worth the price tag!
and they hold value!
the big thing on the 7000is is it is fuel injected! a whole different thing on the inverter units!
they will work from zero altitude to 15k feet with out any other parts.
total self adjusting lamda style fuel system.
and yes they are super on the fuel eco as well.
and yes there is a tri fuel kit for them as well.
watch the sales from northern tool they do free shipping deals sometimes as well.
Really? Let me look around.
The quote didn't work. Look at the screen shot image below (screen shot otherwise the coding takes affect - as an image you can see the coding) of how the coding works - note the red box. You have to type outside the last end quote code.

Since I double quoted here that is done via the green boxes. If you single quote you just type outside the end of quote code.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
cycles per second is HZ.
it has to do with the rotor and stator slots and the engine rpm.
but only on the conventional generators.

inverter generators are computer clock based on the HZ.
but the rotor speed does have a speed window. or range that is will work correctly.
The quote didn't work. Look at the screen shot image below (screen shot otherwise the coding takes affect - as an image you can see the coding) of how the coding works - note the red box. You have to type outside the last end quote code.

Since I double quoted here that is done via the green boxes. If you single quote you just type outside the end of quote code.

View attachment 9789
I was at work and in a hurry😂😂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Excellent! That Honda is an excellent choice. Now...CALL CURETON RENTALS IN NEDERLAND. They are a Honda power equipment dealer. I have purchased three Honda generators, and Cureton has the best pricing I could find anywhere in the U.S. Also, because they also have a fleet of rental generators (and all other equipment too), they also SERVICE THEM! Family owned, the guys that work there have been there since dirt. They have no turnover. Some of those guys were there back when I lived down the street back in the 80's. Those guys' Honda knowledge and repair experience goes back into the Old Testament. Right here in SE Texas! THIS is the ownership and supporting dealer experience that is rare to find these days. (Where you gonna' get that internet-sourced, mail-order generator fixed?)(Tell you where: they gonna' ask you to box it up and ship it off to some shop they contract with...the shop with the lowest bid. You want the help of someone who they aren't paying squat? You are never going to be able to speak with whoever "worked" on it. How long they gonna' take to turn it around?) Yes, the help offered on this website is of high quality, but some of the advice offered and the equipment referenced is above the layman's budget and ability. We can't fix it for ya', so at some point you are going to have to take your own appendix out, (or install your own penile implants, like I did). Are you up to it? Factor all that in. Then go buy that Honda.

The discussion and quality information offered has been expansive and generous. Any further discussion would only serve to reduce domestic productivity and the gross national product. Buy one. Post up when you unbox it.

Honda: Buy once, cry once.
I will certainly give them a call tomorrow. I am a bit north of there, but they well might make it worth the trip. Thank you!

·
Registered
209 Posts
We are north too, about an hour's drive down to Cureton. Worth it though. I drive past several Honda dealers to get to Cureton, and all because of the service and depth of knowledge they offer. When you drive down there, to make it absolutely worth the effort, y'all consider going to eat Italian food at Colichia's Italian Village at 5601 E Parkway St, Groves, TX 77619. Not far from Cureton. Family owned, they have been in business for over eighty years. Obviously they are doing something right! If we go anywhere within ten miles of there, THAT'S where we are eating. Not expensive either. Habit forming...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We are north too, about an hour's drive down to Cureton. Worth it though. I drive past several Honda dealers to get to Cureton, and all because of the service and depth of knowledge they offer. When you drive down there, to make it absolutely worth the effort, y'all consider going to eat Italian food at Colichia's Italian Village at 5601 E Parkway St, Groves, TX 77619. Not far from Cureton. They have been in business for over eighty years. Obviously they are doing something right! If we go anywhere within ten miles of there, THAT'S where we are eating. Not expensive either. Habit forming...
Ha! I'm just east of Hillister! Got my quote from them this morning. 4330+ tax. Amazon wants almost 6k! Guess that's why they still have them in stock. Cureton says mid Aug. I sent reply about getting on the wait list. Thanks for the referral.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
lol
well here i go!
I vote save up your pop cans and buy the honda eu7000is!
they are well worth the price tag!
and they hold value!
the big thing on the 7000is is it is fuel injected! a whole different thing on the inverter units!
they will work from zero altitude to 15k feet with out any other parts.
total self adjusting lamda style fuel system.
and yes they are super on the fuel eco as well.
and yes there is a tri fuel kit for them as well.
watch the sales from northern tool they do free shipping deals sometimes as well.
Ok. Well I contacted Cureton in Nederland and they want 4330 plus tax. Not too bad. Mid August delivery so I asked how many arms and legs to get on the waiting list. We'll see!

·
Registered
209 Posts
We are a couple of creek bottoms west of you. I had to get on the waiting list too. They WILL call you. It is not a brush-off. Be ready though. When they call you to tell you yours is in tell them that you definitely will purchase the unit and to put it aside with your name on it. The day they called me at 9am they had just received a shipment. I got there about 2pm. They had sold out by 11am, but they had held mine. Listen, one of these is as good a money in the bank. About as a solid investment in capital equipment as you can buy. It barely depreciates. If you find you want something else there will be a line to your door, eager to take it off your hands. That EU7000 is where I ended up, after having spent thousands on other generators. I should have just bought the EU7000 first. It would have saved me money in the long run if I would have just done so.

Once the scabs heal from buying a Honda, THEN consider your choices in the 3500-5500 watt range as a less expensive back-up.

By the way...ethanol-free gas is available down in Buna. I think they have some available across the river from you in Kirbyville too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
30A connection.
Something that just hit me again that I think is very important to know about generators:

There are many types of "30 amp connectors". RV's, boats, and industrial applications don't share all the same plugs/connectors and thus generators have various different connectors.

This is not a huge issue - one isn't necessarily better than another. Why you have to be aware of them is they are not all interchangeable. They are very specific to each other.

• L5-30 - This is a twist lock, 3 pin connector for up to 30 amps of 120v only.
  • TT30 - This is a straight plug (non-twist lock) 3 pin connector for up to 30 amps of 120v only
  • L14-30 - This is a twist lock 4 pin connector for up to 30 amps 120v and 240v. Very few inverter generators (usually the largest ones) have these, yet they are extraordinarily common on rotary generators.

For example:

The generator in the link above (Powerhorse open frame 4500w inverter) is an "odd-ball". It is one of the very few units that has switchable 120/240 split phase or 120v only operation. The 120/240v outlet is an L14-30 (extremely popular - probably the most popular 30a connector through time - used almost exclusively on rotary generators that output split phase until you get over 30a then you get in to the 14-50 and L14-50 connectors). For 120v-only mode this one uses an L5-30.

Now look at this generator:

Same 4500w class, same manufacturer. This one is only 120v. It does not have a switchable 120/240v split phase mode. It uses.... the TT30 RV outlet. NOT the L5-30 the open frame unit above does for 120v-only mode.

My buddy's boat cabling uses the L5-30 plugs. However, all the generators that are marketed to the RV crowd that have a 30 amp connector most often use the TT30 plug these days. The small EU2000's we use are the same way - we need adapters from the 5-15 outlet on a generator to the L5-30. The same is true for a TT30 - need an adapter from TT30 to L5-30. Not a problem - you just have to be aware of it so you have what you need to get things to connect together.

This is the kind of adapter cord we use with the EU2000's. The cable that goes to the inlet box on the boat is one of the same long shore power cords we hook to the power box at the marina. Therefore the adapter is just a foot or two to change between the connectors. You can get these adapters in any plug configuration, or make your own also. Though, if you are at marinas or campgrounds its best to use commercially made cabling - you might run in to problems with the people that run said campground/marina if they don't like your "home made" adapters. Even if you use UL approved components, because it is pieced together they may take issue with it regardless.

I don't use TT30's or L5-30's here yet. The only outlet I have on a gen for 120v is a 5-15/5-20 (the EU2200 has the extra horizontal blade for 5-20) so I have an adapter from that to L14-30. Then I have an adapter from L14-30 to 14-50, and back the other way. The back up power feed to the house panel is 14-50 so this way I can feed that from any gen I have - the 15kw using the 14-50, the 2600w rotary using the L14-30, and the EU2200 using the 5-20.

At the point I bridge the gap in wattage of gens with something in the 4000-4500w range that will likely have a 120v 30a connector so I can make an adapter for that just as easy.

The important point is - not all 30 amp connectors are the same. There are different configurations, different amounts of pins, and different voltages available on them (we didn't even touch on 240v connectors - take the 6-30 and 6-50 for example - I use 6-50's as the 50a 240v standard here for my welders and when I upgrade air compressors it will be 240v on the same 6-50 type plug, they are very common for equipment but I don't know of a single generator that uses it).

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Ok. Well I contacted Cureton in Nederland and they want 4330 plus tax. Not too bad. Mid August delivery so I asked how many arms and legs to get on the waiting list. We'll see!
well worth the wait!
pre pay if that is what it takes!
most are first come first serve right now on gen sets....
pre pay works well!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts