Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon.
Was connecting up a 14KW generator with a friend...and of course doing as much DIY as possible.
The 14KW nat gas generator is about 13 feet form the gas meter...and were using 1" pipe.
we're tapping off the down side of the meter form a line that was previously run to his pool heater.

From what i can see - it looks like there is a regulator on the down side of the meter running into the house
And unregulated from the gas meter to this pool..with a separate regulator at the pool.

The regulator going into the house is an Arctaris B31R
The regulator at the pool heater is an SENSUS 143

whats odd is that neither of the lines run directly through these regulators....rather they just seem to be tee'd into the line.

So - will call a gas fitter if needed but wondering if we need the same the of SENSUS 143 by the generator.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks
Mac

Setup
From the down side of the meter
1" comes out of the meter
tees off.....
  • one side of the tee goes directly to the pool heater..where there is a SENSUS 143 regulator
  • the other side of the tee goes to the house...where there an Arctaris B31R installed before the line enters the house

this is the regulator on the meter.

Light Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

this is the regulator on the pool heater.
Light Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not a standard tee fitting there. The tee is part of the regulator...
Thanks. So. Good chance we need one by the generator as well. Any idea if these 143s are a standard from a specific psi to a specific psi. Or just need to buy the 143 in the link?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Was connecting up a 14KW generator with a friend...and of course doing as much DIY as possible.
The 14KW nat gas generator is about 13 feet form the gas meter...and were using 1" pipe.
we're tapping off the down side of the meter form a line that was previously run to his pool heater.
It would help to know what the model number of the gen is, and also what is the max inlet pressure indicated on the demand valve at the gen.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Seems to me that you will need to reduce the 2 PSI to about 7" W.C. which will require an additional regulator.

Or, tap into the house side that already has the correct pressure. However, that may cause a starvation for the house appliances, and/or a longer run of pipe.

The reducing regulator needs to be sized to supply the full running load of the gen.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
run the second pressure regulator right at the gen set.
they run higher pressure on the lines to get more btu.
then regulate at the appliance.
this higher pressure lets the utility keep the same feeder line for 500k to 1m btu systems in residential.

we have 2 psi up to the house in my area now...
so it is easy to not have the WC regulator outside if you want a BIG demand hot water heater and have the LARGE furnace or two...
and a pool with heater...

for me i have plenty with the one inch lines for the house.
but it is a small house. gas stove, small gas water heater....
and 2) eu7000is gens on ng

1 - 9 of 9 Posts