Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new and had a question about transfer switches.

I’ve got a 15kw Briggs & Stratton stand y generator, and while the symphony II transfer switch seems like it’ll work, I can’t find anyone who can actually tell me definitely yes or no. I even called Briggs and Stratton, gave them the model number, and they had me call a local guy who basically gave me some bullshit about my project being more than he could handle. Whatever. I have an electrician who will install it, but befor I fork over $800+, I’d like to know if it’ll work, or if there’s a better option.

Basically, I need an automatic transfer switch. We have horses and are on a well, so I need it to work on the off chance we’re not home.

any suggestions? Generac switches are 4 wire, and mine is 2 wire, so they won’t work.
Thanks!

Rob
Davidsonville, MD

·
Registered
172 Posts
Without hands on, and having circuit info it is going to be difficult to give you a direct answer.
Can you post the model number and serial numbers of both the generator and the symphony II transfer switch?
Researching that info will be needed.
You need to go to Tabora on the Briggs generator. He is the man in the know.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Bernefj60:
You indicated that you had a symphony TS and any good Generator tech can make it work with your B&S, but you need the schematic for both units before you can start.
Any tech that works with the Symphony and B&S will probably know how to connect the two without the specs.
The schematics will indicate what wiring is needed to mate the two up.
There has to be a delay circuit to keep the generator from instantly starting on a power drop.
You understand when a lightning flash blinks the lights, a delay is required.
That circuit is sometimes in the TS and sometimes in the generator.
The battery charger is built in, other times it is in the TS.
So, look for the books that came with the B&S and the TS. You have to start somewhere.
OK, so here is where I would start...
Open the connection panel in the generator.
There should be several wiring connections.
Two for the power feed from the generator. (Black) That is fed from the breaker in the generator.
One neutral. (White)
A small terminal strip. One indicating either Batt. or Batt+.
Batt should be for a 120 volt feed that indicated the charger is built in, but check first with a meter.
Batt+ indicates the charger is in the TS. and the + & - is connected.
There should be another terminal for utility. This tells the Generator that the utility is on or lost.
However, If the TS has a time delay board in it then that brings on the need for the schematics.
Any further than this will require the schematics.

·
Registered
799 Posts
just a few options that are good to think on for any standby generator.
in cold climates;
block heater,
battery warmer blanket,
intake heater,
battery that is ion style for long life.

a couple of things to remember.
start run test mode, most like once a week but set to at least once a month.

sla battery's have a short life so replace or retire them at 3 to 4 years to other service.
this is one of the most over looked items that can keep the generator from starting.
and a external jump pack port is a good thing!

most generators get test ran more than used in service.

keep spare parts on hand. oil, filters, spark plugs.

spin oil filters are a good thing and get the larger version if it is offered or the remote dual filter kit to extend the run time before changing filter.

I know there are more things to keep in mind..

oh yea noise!!
optional quiet box or better mufflers are a real good idea!
larger gen sets tend to get louder...
and that noise can be anoying to neighbors without power during an outage crisis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Without hands on, and having circuit info it is going to be difficult to give you a direct answer.
Can you post the model number and serial numbers of both the generator and the symphony II transfer switch?
Researching that info will be needed.
You need to go to Tabora on the Briggs generator. He is the man in the know.
Sorry to have to ask but how do I get in touch with Tabora please?

·
Registered
172 Posts
He is a forum member. Look around and find his name then PM him.

·
Registered
545 Posts
15KW is in the middle of my experience vacuum... I've had 4 generators in the 1.7 to 6.5KW range, and a 600KW 3Phase Cat, but 15KW is just beyond the size that a GenerLink transfer switch (that I am most familiar with) can handle. They only go up to 10.8KW = 45A @ 240V. You'll need a 60A+ transfer switch; I'd probably get one of these B&S Symphony II Automatic 100A units with power management: Briggs & Stratton 71071 100-Amp Outdoor Automatic Transfer Switch w/ Symphony® II Service Disconnect
That's what you already have, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts