Power Equipment Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have never attempted to enter into an equipment forum before. But here goes, I am on the edge of desperate. I am a looking for help and or direction. I am a widow living off the grid in Los Cabos, BCS, Mexico. I am American. Hurricane season is looming! My back up generator's alternator is no longer charging the battery and the system shuts itself down. I am told that I need to replace this alternator. Central Maine Diesel, the company I purchased the generator from new in 2005, is not responding to my emails and their phone mailbox is full. Perhaps they are not working due to Covid?? Can anyone out there direct me to a place where I can buy a replacement alternator? I do not have a part number, as the plate is no longer legible. The alternator is not huge for the size of the generator, and it has two wire plugs coming out of the bottom. It's appears to be a specialty alternator, as the regulator is sealed inside and not serviceable. Or at least not by the local mechanic I have access. Any advice or direction to find a replacement source is truly and sincerely appreciated. Blessings from Whitt's End Rancho...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lisa,
Not sure if this will help you...does the unit run as normal with a fully charged battery? (you might need to replace the battery if it's run down too often and now wouldn't take a charge) If so, the generator will eventually shut down when the battery is drawn too low by the electronics to run, right? If yes to both questions, why not have an external charger plugged in to the power (when the generator is running of course) to keep the battery at full charge? I'm not sure what volts the battery is that you would use, here in Canada/USA it would be a 12 volt battery like a car here would have. If so then you would need to plug in a 12 volt charger with a capacity of 2 to 4 amps to keep the battery at optimum charge. So simply buy a plug-in charger with the correct volts for your current battery, with 2/4 amps and you should be good. I don't know why this wouldn't work. Let us know if this works for you. I would also remove the alternator and make it available for someone to rebuild it for you. Dutchy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dutchy. Thank you for your input! I have kept the battery on a trickle charger since I got this battery at Costco about a year ago. Yup, its 12 volt and has the battery cable mounts on both the top and the front. That is trickle charger, for the most part has been constant. Sadly, I am still very new to keeping up on the mechanics of the generator keeping it exercised. As of last weekend when a local mechanic came out to perform a service and try to run the generator. The Dynagen relay box gave an error of low battery. He had a meter on the battery and it was showing the state of charge while the generator was running at between 11.8 and 12.4. The issue is that generator shuts its self down after about 3 minutes without ever putting a load onto it. Does that make any sense? The mechanic took the alternator, cleaned it of all corrosion and returned and tried it again. It did the same thing. He told me he could not replace the regulator, as it is sealed into a plastic compartment on the side of the alternator where the wires come out. 116345164_10219152315651670_1524604412234835375_n.jpeg
Oops, that's my foot...lol I don't currently have a working full-size battery changer, but I can pick one up if you think it may bring the battery where it needs to be while running?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lisa,
Well you're on the right track, and it sounds like most of the problem now, besides the bad alternator is the battery condition. A good 12 volt battery should read 12.6 volts or a bit higher, without the engine running or a trickle charge on it (untouched for 24hrs). I would replace the battery and the trickle charger. The trickle probably isn't keeping up with the requirements of the engine and the battery would actually loose power while the generator is running. Find a trickle charger that would provide 4 amps or more and if you can't than get a battery charger (they usually provide more amps) that will. I'm thinking that the gen quits after 3/4 minutes because the battery is too weak and the electrics that keep the unit running aren't getting full power. Talk this over with your mechanic, as he is right there and I'm not, and also wait a little for others to chime in before spending money on a new battery etc. I'm not an electrician of any type, just a retired copper. Keep us posted, Dutchy

·
Registered
799 Posts
is this your generator?marine 3 phase
or is it this one?
This unit features a Isuzu 1.6L in-line 3-cylinder diesel engine, brushless generator end, cool flow radiator with fan guards, residential muffler, automatic voltage regulation, high volume air filter, muffler, key start switch and hour meter.

the alt might be this one?
ebay alt
Replaces Part Numbers & Specifications

ISUZU: 8772952711 8772952712 8972268400 8972268401 8972268402 8972268403 8-97226-840-0 8-97226-840-1 8-97226-840-2 8-97226-840-3 877-295-271-1 877-295-271-2

ITEM DESCRIPTION: ALTERNATOR
UNIT TYPE: ISUZU
VOLTAGE: 12
AMPERAGE: 20
REGULATOR: INTERNAL
PULLEY OD: 2.929IN / 74.4MM
POLARITY: NEGATIVE
MOUNTING EAR 1: 8.8MM UNTHREADED
MOUNTING EAR 2: 10.7MM UNTHREADED
SPECIFICATIONS: PERMANENT MAGNET

WEIGHT: 4.98 LBS / 2.26 KG
the direct site for these guys is
https://www.rareelectrical.com/
and the phone numbers are
1-866-695-0363
direct email is
Email: [email protected]
i bet they can fix you right up!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this your generator?marine 3 phase
or is it this one?
This unit features a Isuzu 1.6L in-line 3-cylinder diesel engine, brushless generator end, cool flow radiator with fan guards, residential muffler, automatic voltage regulation, high volume air filter, muffler, key start switch and hour meter.

the alt might be this one?
ebay alt
Replaces Part Numbers & Specifications

ISUZU: 8772952711 8772952712 8972268400 8972268401 8972268402 8972268403 8-97226-840-0 8-97226-840-1 8-97226-840-2 8-97226-840-3 877-295-271-1 877-295-271-2

ITEM DESCRIPTION: ALTERNATOR
UNIT TYPE: ISUZU
VOLTAGE: 12
AMPERAGE: 20
REGULATOR: INTERNAL
PULLEY OD: 2.929IN / 74.4MM
POLARITY: NEGATIVE
MOUNTING EAR 1: 8.8MM UNTHREADED
MOUNTING EAR 2: 10.7MM UNTHREADED
SPECIFICATIONS: PERMANENT MAGNET

WEIGHT: 4.98 LBS / 2.26 KG
the direct site for these guys is
https://www.rareelectrical.com/
and the phone numbers are
1-866-695-0363
direct email is
Email: [email protected]
i bet they can fix you right up!!
Hi Iowagold. My generator is not a marine motor. It is single-phase
automatic Voltage Regulation, standard. I posted some photos of the paperwork I have on it. I am heading out on my route today into San Jose del Cabo. I plan to take the alt to a auto electric shop and have it tested again. I am also stopping at Costco for a new battery charger, as I should have one on my rancho in any event. I have other things with motors here, like a little John Deere 84 front loader as well as my driving vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That being said, I am going to call Rare Electrical when I get into town and send them an email. You have been so much help. Thank you. I will keep you posted. 😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts