Power Equipment Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WestinghouseWGEN7500 generator that is Neutral Bonded. I have a house transfer switch for refrigerator, microwave, sewer sump, and lights in family room. However, there are sump pumps that I also need to run in winter to prevent flooding in the driveway. This breaker is located in a subpanel for my pool equipment and is not included in the house transfer. An electrician provided an outlet for this circuit so that I could run an extension cord to a 110V GFCI at the generator and operate the sump pumps with the breaker off. However, the GFCI trips unless both the neutral to this circuit and the neutral to the subpanel are tied together. Rather than tying the two neutrals together, the electrician thought that theGFCI would not trip if the utility power to the main panel is down, as then a neutral would not be sensed! I haven’t been able to verify that the sump pumps would run as I haven’t needed to run the generator because the utility power has remained on!

I contacted Westinghouse technical support and was told to remove the boned neutral.

· Registered
174 Posts
I have a WestinghouseWGEN7500 generator that is Neutral Bonded. I have a house transfer switch for refrigerator, microwave, sewer sump, and lights in family room. However, there are sump pumps that I also need to run in winter to prevent flooding in the driveway. This breaker is located in a subpanel for my pool equipment and is not included in the house transfer. An electrician provided an outlet for this circuit so that I could run an extension cord to a 110V GFCI at the generator and operate the sump pumps with the breaker off. However, the GFCI trips unless both the neutral to this circuit and the neutral to the subpanel are tied together. Rather than tying the two neutrals together, the electrician thought that theGFCI would not trip if the utility power to the main panel is down, as then a neutral would not be sensed! I haven’t been able to verify that the sump pumps would run as I haven’t needed to run the generator because the utility power has remained on!

I contacted Westinghouse technical support and was told to remove the boned neutral.
GFCI devices highlight what goes on when there is more than one neutral bonding point. Ground improperly has return currents. The usual transfer switch only switches the hots. Neutral and ground passes through to the load center. So one bond at the load center and another at the generator.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to tell me! I’m trying to determine if removing the bonded neutral is the correct solution or not doing anything and assume that the GFCI won’t trip when utility power is down.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
OP, removing the Neutral-Ground bond at the generator should likely solve your issue.

If it still trips and it's not due to overloading, my guess would be that there's sufficient current leakage from Hot to Ground at your pool equipment. This is not uncommon, considering pool equipment is exposed to a great deal of water and moisture.

· Registered
5,762 Posts
i would get the pool system checked asap.
you could have a leaky seal at the pumps or corrosion some where in the system.
also have the pool water to ground checked. you might have a bad pool light, or near by power issue.
that can be fatal.

there are special meters for checking this.
and a good pool pro electrician will have this equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts