Power Equipment Forum banner
Showcase cover image for Log Splitter Mods

General Information

Firewood Log Splitter
25 Ton
Working towards many...
General Information
Splitter Protection and Productivity Mods
Back in January I picked up a Yardworks (made by Champion) 25 ton log splitter. It can read about/accessed here if you're so inclined...

Being one who cant leave well enough alone, simply installing a magnetic dipstick to the 224cc engine is not enough (mod wise) for me. Before I put this unit to serious use, I wanted to do a few things, mostly for protection to the pump and engine but also a quick mod to improve my productivity with it. I was able to finish it all up a few short weeks ago. It's all ready and set to go to work now.

To start with, I feel the pump needs protection for when a large chunk of firewood slips from my hand and falls/lands directly on the pump/filter. When I purchased the splitter I didnt feel it'd be necessary as there is no way I would drop a piece on the pump or filter. I was wrong, it happened twice in the few short hours of use.

Mod 1...
Pretty straight forward, 2 pieces of 3/4" ply held in place with some 1/4-20 threaded rod I had on hand. Cut to length, welded a nut to one end of each of the 6 making them into long bolts. I put some fuel line as protection over the threads of the bolts for the hydraulic oil tank should they vibrate or get knocked over against the tank. Dont want a leak there!
It holds my 200lbs so I think it will suffice.

Mod 2...
Champion provided 2 of what I call the dreaded spring style clamps for the hose leading from the tank to the pump. I have no faith in them, especially with the pressure a log splitter produces. At the time of assembly I had nothing on hand to replace them. Frowning, I wanted them gone and relunctantly used them but knew I'd soon be replacing with a quality T clamp once I got to town again.
For now I have the spring clamps out of the way until the time comes to change out the hydaulic fluid. T clamps now in place and all is the way it should be...

Mod 3...
Engine/carb side protection. Same deal for the most part as the pump side albeit I used some aluminum plate I have on hand.
To begin tho I applied some tin tape to the outside of the fuel tank and air box side to reflect heat from the exhaust. The tin tape may not be needed, but it gives me peace of mind...

With use, alot of debris and mulch will be falling away from both sides of the splitter beam, aint no way around it. The aluminum plate and an old piece of tractor trailer tire tube added will easily prevent any and all accumulation from happening. Especially so for keeping the mulch away from the carbs linkage and/or resting on the top of the muffler. So far so good. I also added tin tape to the underside of the aluminum plate for heat reflection, its a fantastic product.
The rubber from the tire tube simply flips up and stays out of the way for refueling.

Mod 4...
The log catchers are actually a pretty good size to start with on this unit, very strong to boot. But I wanted a bit more, so I added 4 1/2" to the length to the engine side catcher with three lengths of 3/16" angle iron and a good sized piece of steel plate added for additional log stop. All welded up in place with one more piece of aluminum plate (with a matching bend) was also added. I'm fine with the drivers side, for now anyway...

Mod 5...
This model Yardworks/Champion has a very good cycle time of 11 seconds, many are in the 16-17 range. It may not be 4 or 5 seconds like some, but it's also $1500 or more less in price. I'm OK with that.
Anyway, I have the cycle time now down to 8 seconds by simply installing a wedge limiter strap. I once saw this done a few years ago by another fella and filed it away into my memory bank for future use.
The splitter is more than capable of taking 24" logs but I try to keep all my firewood in the 16-18" lengths. Now with the limiter strap in place the return of wedge dis-engages the lever at 19". May not sound like much, believe me when I say this makes a huge difference of not having to wait or keep your hand on the lever to stop the wedge 5 or 6 inches from fully retracting. Over the course of a few hours, those seconds quickly add up.
What I call a strap is a tough yet flexible non-stretch, non-tearing sheathing that utlity companies use for running wire thru long lengths of loom/pipe. I have many feet of this, great stuff!
I drilled a 5/16" hole in the far side log stop and knotted one end of the strap.
Taping an S hook to the engagement lever keeps it in place, being a bit higher helps give the strap a bit more/easier leverage for lever arm dis-engagement.

When not needed the strap can be quickly removed from the S hook and allowed to hang freely off the side out of the way.

Should I add/change anything more in the future I'll be sure to update here.
Not open for further replies.


There are no comments to display.
Not open for further replies.