Safe to use computer...TV on Generator? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Safe to use computer...TV on Generator?

Are older Kohler RV gensets (1980-1985) safe for electronic devices?

How about modern portable gensets? Are they safe for electronics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Jack, I am not familiar with Kohler gensets, but I have been told that it is OK to run older style TVs and appliances with an older std generators, but do NOT try to run modern flat screen TVs , newer appliances, computers, or computer equipment with older generators. Maybe someone else will have a better answer or more information.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The problem with the conventional generator is frequency. The engine governor is simply not sensitive enough to perfectly maintain 3600 rpm which supplies the desired 60 hz. An older tv might display a slightly fuzzy or distorted image but modern electronics are not nearly so forgiving.
The inverter generator is the answer. It produces ac which is rectified to dc. The dc is then inverted electronically back to 120/240 volts ac at 60 hz regardless of engine speed. Perfect. The engine then can be throttled back by what Honda calls an eco throttle, as load increases or decreases the engine can change speed to supply only the current needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Jack you also have to be careful about running newer appliances that have computer boards with a older generator. My GE refrigerator cost $700 for a new computer board due to voltage, as well as my wife's central vacuum. The only generators I buy now are inverters. Its not only about computers its also about appliances, and screw in florescent lights too. Inverter generators are best for all of the above too.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People are running modern eletronics with their gennys in older motorhomes. I would get on IRV and post up, plenty of people on there with older rigs with modern upgrades
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tractornut
There are products ou there that will help prevent a standard genny from possibly toasting expensive electronic items if I recall there was a mention of them in another post on here I'll see if I can find that thread and post a link to it for you

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tractornut
Here you go I just copied the link that was in the other thread Tripp Lite Mobile - Models they are called line conditioners

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Banned

My laptop battery got damage due to generator. I think that battery devices are not safe to run on generator.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm in the IT field, and I can tell you from first hand experience that I've had computers go out due to bad power during fast fluctuating brown outs. It hasn't been many, probably only about 5 (out of over a couple thousand computers) over the past 20 years; however, bad power CAN damage your computer. Additionally, every one of them was a desktop.

Before I bought my inverter generator, I tried to use as few electronics as possible while on the old regular genny. I didn't use any computers, televisions or stereos while on backup, because I didn't want to risk it.

You may never have a problem, but I do believe there is a slight risk.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is a good chance to damage your laptop/pc battery. The battery devices are not safe to run on the generator. But if you don't have any other options then I suggest you purchase a battery for backup. Purchase from here and get 1-year replacement guarantee with free shipping worldwide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page