Power Equipment Forum banner

Honda eu3000is stalling

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kenny Ynnek 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for a little help. I have a Honda eu3000is generator attached to a food concession trailer and use it regularly with a moderate to heavy load. What usually happens is it will run fine for about 6 or so hours, then I noticed it begins to run rough and then it will stall. I go outside to restart it, but after stalling it takes several attempts and several minutes to get it to fire up again, once started back up it will run for a while but stall again. I've had it stall again 30 minutes after a restart and sometimes it will go an hour before it stalls again. I use the generator with eco mode turned off.

I changed the oil, spark plug, and air filter but the problem continued. I took it to a power equipment shop for a diagnosis and repair, they said that the carb needed a cleaning and adjustment, so that was done. The problem continued.

Anyone out there experience the same or have any ideas as to what might be causing the issue? Thanks.

#2 ·
First things first, Check your oil, make sure it’s full, low oil will cause problems. Next, do you have a spark tester. It goes inline with the spark plug and wire. It lights up and give a visual of spark intensity and consistency.

If you don’t have one buy A good one and install it start the generator and look for a consistent spark pattern. The light should illuminate brightly.

When the generator starts to stumble see if the spark remains consistent. If it varies or goes away entirely... ignition coil.

How many hours on the generator?

#4 ·
As @drmerdp pointed out there is low oil protection and potentially a cause. But this is a simple switch to gnd and is usually on or off.
The way you describe the symptoms it does sound electrical in nature.
Let's ask @tabora : didn't somebody on the snowblower forum have a problem very similar? And traced it to the ignition coil?
@drmerdp is right on... Bet on the coil.

Reactions: Kenny Ynnek
#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.