No spark Honda EM500A - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No spark Honda EM500A

My thanks in advance to anyone who can share insight into why this old girl isn't sparking. I'm not positive but it may have lost spark after I ran the oil low enough to trip the low oil shutoff. Could the float be stuck? BTW I put a screwdriver right in the spark plug wire, pulled hard and felt nothing. Also I have a spare genny for parts and swapped coils and still nada. Wondering if I can unplug the low oil shutoff wire to diagnose if that's the fault? (I don't know which that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dFlintstone View Post
I'm not positive but it may have lost spark after I ran the oil low enough to trip the low oil shutoff. Could the float be stuck? ...Wondering if I can unplug the low oil shutoff wire to diagnose if that's the fault? (I don't know which that is)
According to the manual, the EM500A does not have a low oil circuit, but the EM600A does.
On the chance that you actually meant EM5000A, here is the oil pressure sensor wiring:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you tabora. My 500 is quite different than the 600 it seems.It does have a hole (a bung?) in the case about where the oil sensor is on the 600. Set in AC 20V I hooked my meter to the wire to the coil and it flashed a 13 when I pulled. So it's not completely dead. Both coils I have test 1.5 ohms small wire to ground.

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Wonder what resistance to expect from the secondary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9637.JPG (295.6 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

OK turns out my kill switch is not the issue. Anyone following this thread might see this U tube where a guy finds his kill switch stuck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Disconnect any wires going to the coil kill dongle wire (not the spark plug wire, of course), and see if you get a spark then. That would eliminate ALL the possible safeties/kill switches, etc. When that small wire is grounded to the frame via one of those mechanisms, it keeps the coil from supplying the spark plug with high voltage by collapsing the 12ish volts the coil's primary generates.

The wire that plugs into it from the kill switch should show infinite resistance to the frame when the kill switch is in the run position if the switch is OK.

Be certain that the coil mounts are tight to the flywheel without binding, too.

Last edited by tabora; 01-13-2020 at 11:08 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Yea, darn tabora, I did try that, also I changed out the whole panel with no difference. I did notice a collar with slots in it on the crankshaft. It may have a hall effect transducer as a CPS, (crank position sensor) I found this nifty page with a good complete parts diagram, https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...1/em-500-panel

It shows a "component" near those slots as the ign control module. Maybe tomorrow I'll try swapping that with the parts genny up in the barn....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Seems like everything is pointing to the cdi ignition module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page