Old Kohler Generator Replacement - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old Kohler Generator Replacement

Hello,

I have a hunting cabin in the U.P. of Michigan that sees about 6 or 7 weeks of usage throughout the year (It's very far away). The cabin is located on private land with no electricity way out in the sticks. I have a 500 lb propane tank on site and have a generator house that houses a Kohler 12RY62 (see attached picture and manual Here: http://www.sailing.com.br/loja/manual/17e22op.pdf). The generator is operated remotely via a switch inside the cabin that powers light bulbs, a water pump, and electrical sockets. Everything else is operated by propane (fridge, stove, furnace, water heater, etc). I usually run the generator no more than 20% of the day when I am at the cabin for the week.

The generator is starting to fail and become unreliable. I am looking to replace it with a new one, but have no idea what the best generator for my usage would be. Could any of you point me in the right direction?

Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kohler_gen.jpg (119.5 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
First, you should check what your actual amperage requirements are. That Kohler seems like overkill for what you've listed for load. Once your load requirements are known, it should be easy to suggest a good solution. Is the water pump 240V or only 120V?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The water pump is 120V. I believe that when everything is on, I don't go much higher than 15A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Looks like you could replace the 9KW machine with a 3800W and only be using about half of it's capacity (120X15=1800W). The additional capacity would be good as the pump does have a higher starting current than steady state running.

There are a lot of "dual-fuel" (Gas or Propane) units available with battery start, assuming you want to keep that feature. If you want something that just uses propane, you're looking at a bigger unit which may be how you ended up with the 9KW. Here's one I grabbed at random at Amazon, good reviews, adequate size, and I know folks who have Champion and like them. Again, there's a lot of these available from different manufacturer's which one is "better?" Other than cost as a quality indicator, I'll leave that to someone else to comment on.

Whatever you end up with, take pictures of your propane connection to the existing unit and visit your local propane supplier to assure you have the right fittings, regulator, etc. I used to travel several hours up into Canada to a fishing camp and recall traveling a few hours back to "civilization" for a fitting. :-)

Good luck,

Ev

Last edited by exmar; 12-04-2019 at 10:33 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are the primary user of the cabin and (maybe) have a pickup truck, what about just mounting a generator in the truck bed?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack67 View Post
The water pump is 120V. I believe that when everything is on, I don't go much higher than 15A.
So, if all you need is 15A-20A of 120V and run on propane, a small Onan RV generator would work great. I have a 2800W KV gas unit at my island cottage (the LP version is 2500W https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-Ona...AAAOSwyWFd5rIf), but a 3600-5000W unit would give you plenty of overhead with reasonable fuel economy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-Ona...AAAOSwt8Jd5q4K
https://www.ebay.com/itm/used-Onan-R...8AAOSwz5hb0fyC

Last edited by tabora; 12-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a Champion 3500/4000 with remote start and it starts and runs with no problems. I use it in a similar remote location and it has served me well for about 6 years now. Does not have 220V however but I don't have a requirement for that. Not sure if your propane comment was for the gen fuel or not. I'm running the Champion on auto gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page