Synthetic 10w30 oil suggestion WGEN12000DF - Page 3 - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy491 View Post
Your manual should state either a 10W30 or 10W40 grade. I use AMSOIL small engine oil, a full synthetic, that is made for severe duty use in all my small engines. Most folks forget to do regular maintenance and this oil has a considerable long protection margin should you forget to change it out regularly. Here is a link and if you can't find it locally delivery is usually a couple of days if you order on-line. Works for me and I've been an AMSOILuser for over 30 years. Dutchy
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...oke/?zo=331384
Sorry for the absence. Password issues.

Thanks for all the discussion guys! It really helped me in choosing the right oil.

On this subject, the manufacturer of my generator suggests an oil change every 50 hours. During extended outages that is every other day.

Using a highly rated and recommended synthetic oil does that allow longer time between oil changes. If so, what would you recommend?

Appreciate all your contributions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankamateur View Post
On this subject, the manufacturer of my generator suggests an oil change every 50 hours. During extended outages that is every other day.

Using a highly rated and recommended synthetic oil does that allow longer time between oil changes. If so, what would you recommend?
If it's a V-twin it probably has an oil filter, correct? 50 hours is probably a good number if it's running a bit now & then and then sitting a long time, but for continuous operation I'd think you could go a lot longer. I'd look at it at 50 hours, and if it still looks fairly clean, keep running it until it doesn't.

And when you get filters, get the best (smallest micron rating) one you can find, like NAPA Gold, Mobil 1, or similar. That's arguably more important than the oil you use.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankamateur View Post
Sorry for the absence. Password issues.

Thanks for all the discussion guys! It really helped me in choosing the right oil.

Appreciate all your contributions.

Generally if used oil is analyzed an oil change is recommended when the TBN is reduced to half of what it was when the oil was new (ie AMSOIL small engine oil is 8.5), and when ppm for iron reaches 100, etc. Would be interesting to see some samples for similar situations, but the cost of the testing usually is more then a simple oil change for a small engine like that of your generator. However, 50 hours is a long time in reality. It usually is way more than a 2 day period. In a power outage, most folks wouldn't run their generator every minute of every hour of every day. The one main reason being concerned over fuel usage and the unknown end of the crisis. One never knows quite how long the outage is so the concern for me is always do I have enough fuel?. However, in a pinch a good oil, usually a synthetic, will easily provide a 100 hours of decent protection. Dutchy. UOA link below

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ces/?zo=331384

Last edited by Dutchy491; 12-04-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
If it's a V-twin it probably has an oil filter, correct? 50 hours is probably a good number if it's running a bit now & then and then sitting a long time, but for continuous operation I'd think you could go a lot longer. I'd look at it at 50 hours, and if it still looks fairly clean, keep running it until it doesn't.

And when you get filters, get the best (smallest micron rating) one you can find, like NAPA Gold, Mobil 1, or similar. That's arguably more important than the oil you use.
Thanks for your input and recommendation of oil filters. I will certainly look at micron ratings. (Didn't even know of such a thing)

It is a v-twin and does have a filter.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy491 View Post
Generally if used oil is analyzed an oil change is recommended when the TBN is reduced to half of what it was when the oil was new (ie AMSOIL small engine oil is 8.5), and when ppm for iron reaches 100, etc. Would be interesting to see some samples for similar situations, but the cost of the testing usually is more then a simple oil change for a small engine like that of your generator. However, 50 hours is a long time in reality. It usually is way more than a 2 day period. In a power outage, most folks wouldn't run their generator every minute of every hour of every day. The one main reason being concerned over fuel usage and the unknown end of the crisis. One never knows quite how long the outage is so the concern for me is always do I have enough fuel?. However, in a pinch a good oil, usually a synthetic, will easily provide a 100 hours of decent protection. Dutchy. UOA link below

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ces/?zo=331384
Thank you for your input!

It is possible we could find ourselves in a situation where running the generator 24/7 would be a legitimate need. Although, I can where that certainly wouldn't be 100% of the time. And yes, if fuel was an issue then that would limit the time the generator is on.

I appreciate the sharing of all the numbers. I work well with that kind of info.

Thanks again.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You guys seem to be knowledgeable about oil. I bought a new predator 9000 yesterday. The books says to use 10W  30 above 32 F 5W  30 at 32 F or below. While in storage my garage never gets below 47 degrees. But during an outage in Colorado the gen would be moved outside and you can bet the temp would be below 32. So which weight oil should I use?
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Rick,
I would look at the AMSOIL 10w30. Open the link and then click on technical info than click on Data Bulletin. Scroll down to where you can see the characteristics of all three grades offered for small engnes. You can see that all three pour down to about -40C (-39 to -44) with the 10w30 having a Fire point 264C. All three grades will work fine, but I would prefer to use the 10w30 because it covers the cold/warm temps so well.

This is a tough oil, built to use in Commercial situations, where there is a lot of abuse due to the many types of construction or emergency situations and owners (or employees) forgetting to do regular service. You can order AMSOIL online if you can't find it locally. That's what I do and it arrives in a day or two. Dutchy
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-EA/?zo=331384
ps. Break in your new generator with a regular oil for the first 20 hours or so. Don't be afraid to run it with a good load on it after the first 1/2 hour or so, like an electric heater or similar. (Always run some type of load when exercising your genny and kill the appliance prior to shutting down, so that it doesn't loose it's magnetism.)

Last edited by Dutchy491; 12-27-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
thanks
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2019 View Post
thank you very much, I have just been browsing though the battery maintainer's online and they might do the trick during the winter months if the battery isnt great in the cold.. Im guessing I can leave the battery maintainer connected when running the generator? if so I will somehow sorted so its permanently attached to the battery and the mains.

I can see me having a powercut on a cold winters day and nothing happens when I turn the key........ I am hoping the charging of the battery when doing my monthly runs of the generator will be enough to keep the battery good enough during the winter months and wont let me down on a freezing day when I need the generator for real.... But yes I dont think the generator will want to start easy when its freezing or below, as it takes a few more seconds then normal if I leave the generator standing longer than a month without running it... I would of thought with all the fussing I do over my generator, (as I have never owned something with a engine, as Im in a wheelchair) I thought it would start first touch every time.

If I have problems I might also try buying a battery, as Im guessing generators come with real cheap batteries?
I have one of these installed on everything I have with an electric starter., actually two on my diesel truck with two batteries.
https://smartercharger.com/collectio...est-and-charge

My big 11000 W Honda came with a rather cheap lawn mower type battery that did not last much over a year, replacement with a similar type gave same result. I finally found a gel cell type designe for motorcycles that I managed to get into the small space available and it's going on year 3 now.

I also have one of these installed on my generator to disconnect the battery from any circuit that might drain it.

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Houston View Post
You guys seem to be knowledgeable about oil. I bought a new predator 9000 yesterday. The books says to use 10W  30 above 32 F 5W  30 at 32 F or below. While in storage my garage never gets below 47 degrees. But during an outage in Colorado the gen would be moved outside and you can bet the temp would be below 32. So which weight oil should I use?
Briggs & Stratton says synthetic 10w-30 or 5w-30 is OK in all their engines at any temperature. All the Honda engines I have specify 10w-30. Your engine isn't Briggs or Honda, but one splash-lubricated small engine isn't going to be much different than any other regarding oil. One advantage of synthetic oil is that it doesn't thicken nearly as much at low temperatures. So I use synthetic 10w-30 in all my small engines at any temperature. I might use synthetic 5w-30 in cold weather, if it didn't increase oil consumption much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page