Does the wattage increase when more volts are added? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Does the wattage increase when more volts are added?

I have given my generator its monthly run today, and I ran my tv and pc stuff together and that was 300watts on the generator, but running it from mains power its 10-20watts higher. Is this normal? The voltage from the mains power is 240 and the voltage from the generator is 225.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Just tested it again, and its all ok, its because Im running my pc and tv setup through a UPS. When the UPS clicks back over to generator or mains power the wattage is like 40watts higher, but then it slowly decreases. So im guessing thats the UPS sorting itself out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM
KRE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2019 View Post
I have given my generator its monthly run today, and I ran my tv and pc stuff together and that was 300watts on the generator, but running it from mains power its 10-20watts higher. Is this normal?
Short answer yes, with unity power factor load. On a reactive load the same, as long as the power factor remains the same.

Once you know how a device, system, ect operates, finding the root cause in the event chain is easy. Until then, you will always be chasing/repairing the effects. Learning is a life time event, if you want to outsmart, whatever item you want to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page