Honda EU2200i Pair in Parallel - Companion or Not? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honda EU2200i Pair in Parallel - Companion or Not?

Hi, I'm new here. In light of the recent blackouts in California due to all the fires I went and bought a pair of Honda 2200i generators to run in parallel with the intention of powering my entire house. I don't have electric heaters, or electric furnaces or anything like that. The stove is gas, the water heater is gas, I have a wood stove and the furnaces are gas. Electrically, I'm only powering the fridge, lights and the relay for the gas stove. The fridge uses between 12-15A, so in reality I do need two of these things to get enough power for the house.

We had a blackout the other day, but I ran only one of the generators, just for the fridge. I haven't opened the other one and I was thinking about taking it back and exchanging for the Companion unit. The reason being, for now I'm running extension cords... so using two identical generators is fine. But eventually I plan to install a transfer switch and run straight into the house. For that, it's better to have the 2200i + 2200i Companion, with the parallel cords, since the Companion unit allows for a single 30A plug out. Otherwise, according to Honda, I have to balance two 15A cords... one for each side.

I've seen people that have made custom harnesses to run two identical 2200i's into a junction box in parallel and from there, a 30A out into the transfer switch. With a little research, I could build that. But given I haven't opened one of the boxes yet, I think I'm better off just exchanging it and getting the Companion unit.

What do you guys suggest? Is there a benefit in having the two identical units that I'm not seeing? Or is it clearly better to have the 2200i + 2200i Companion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My understanding is that you need the Companion model to be able to twin to another eu2200 (or some eu2000). I would exchange the regular 2200 for the Companion model, especially since you have one in an unopened box to trade in. Also get the cables required to link the two Inverters. My two cents. Dutchy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I guess I'm not understanding how you're planning to connect 2 120V generators (parallel or not) to a 240V residential panel. The two 120V legs in the panel are 180 degrees out of phase. Paralleling 2 EU2200s for a 120V 30A RV input is one thing, but you'll need to do a 120V transfer switch sub panel for only your critical items in order to use the 120V output in a typical house scenario: http://www.steadypower.com/products....0A%252d120V%29
You can't do a "whole house" transfer switch.

Last edited by tabora; 11-02-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I have a pair of EU2000i, set up for parallel operation. I bought a Harbor Freight parallel kit, it plugs into each generator (using the individual plug-in connectors), and provides a 30A outlet receptacle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/RV-Rea...tor-62564.html

It fit my Hondas without issue. I can't speak to the newer 2200i, but it may still be a worthwhile option.

The benefit to me is I was able to buy used "normal" units, which are more common than Companions. And each can be used (or sold) individually, without issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They are the exact same generator. If you look at the wiring diagrams, the only difference is that one has the 30 amp plug and one has the 12v board and plug. Both of them have the ability to pair with another one. The generator that comes online first acts as the “Master” for the frequency, and the generator that comes on second acts as the “slave” for the frequency and matches the master. But either of them can be started first. All the sync kits do is connect the hot, ground, and neutral of both generators together, and the companion one has the higher rated 30 amp plug.
So you can use two companions, two non-companions, or one companion and one non-companion and they will pair just fine, then it’s just a question of how you want to plug things in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I have a pair of EU2000i, set up for parallel operation. I bought a Harbor Freight parallel kit, it plugs into each generator (using the individual plug-in connectors), and provides a 30A outlet receptacle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/RV-Rea...tor-62564.html

It fit my Hondas without issue. I can't speak to the newer 2200i, but it may still be a worthwhile option.

The benefit to me is I was able to buy used "normal" units, which are more common than Companions. And each can be used (or sold) individually, without issue.
This kit would work fine for two 2200s IMHO. Or you could build your own similar thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in