Did you have metal shavings/bits on the first oil change? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Did you have metal shavings/bits on the first oil change?

I have read on the net that when you change the oil for the first time, you should get metal shavings/bits in the oil, from the engine, but I didn't get any. Now I am slightly worried that they could still be in the oil, because I didn't warm the engine up to make the oil run out quick/freely and Im thinking that the metal shavings got left behind?

Last edited by speedy2019; 10-24-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When I got my Honda 2000eu and companion, I got one of the oil filler plugs that has a magnet. Put the oil in, then that plug and ran it for a few minutes. It did pick up some metal particles, not a lot and probably just that left over from the manufacturing process, in my opinion.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2019 View Post
...metal shavings/bits in the oil, from the engine, but I didn't get any...
1. It's usually just a "sparkle", not big bits.
2. Did you run the original oil 20 hours before changing? It really takes about 12-20 hours for a small engine to complete the break-in process properly. Going too short on the break-in can be worse than leaving the oil in too long. I always do what the engineers specified in the owners manual. See here: New Engine Break-in Procedure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
1. It's usually just a "sparkle", not big bits.
2. Did you run the original oil 20 hours before changing? It really takes about 12-20 hours for a small engine to complete the break-in process properly. Going too short on the break-in can be worse than leaving the oil in too long. I always do what the engineers specified in the owners manual. See here: New Engine Break-in Procedure
I have had the generator running for roughly 8-10 hours, 20-30mins a month with a light load to keep it running well since feb-march time. I would of left it longer but I put summer oil in that only goes down to 6c and thats no good for the winter months, so I had to change it as its getting colder here now...... Where are you from, as I was quite impressed you saying you have put 400hrs on yours?In my 40 years of being alive I havent had anymore then 200hrs worth of powercuts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2019 View Post
Where are you from, as I was quite impressed you saying you have put 400hrs on yours?In my 40 years of being alive I havent had anymore then 200hrs worth of powercuts.
Maine, USA. I don't know where you got the 400 hours from; but between my 4 generators, I have 1000's of hours of runtime since the early 1980s. Power cuts are not the only reason to run a generator, although I ran my big Powermate over 50 hours last week after a Nor'Easter cut power to about a quarter-million homes & businesses in Maine.

I have a cottage on an island where all our power comes from an Onan Microlite 2.8 (and formerly a PowerMate PM1500) and we run it 4-6 hours a day when we're there. I also have a portable Generac on a cart that we take into the woods when building structures or doing wood cutting/splitting where there's no utility power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page