5000 watt Coleman wont run Samsung Fridge - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question 5000 watt Coleman wont run Samsung Fridge

Hi everyone,

We were hit with a Hurricane this last weekend and I decided to try out my new to me 5000 watt Coleman Generator with a surge of 6250 I believe.

I have used it a few times running power tools but this is the first power outage we have had since I've had it.

My house isn't wired so I was using a heavy extension cord to (110) to run certain things like lights and our microwave.

The problem I had was when I tried to run the Samsung fridge. It only about 2 years old and when I connected the power cord to it, it would just buzz. The interior light would work and the blue display would work too but the compressor wouldn't start.

I even tried a shorter power cord with no luck. I figured since a microwave would run, the generator should be able to power the fridge?

any ideas?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hmmm, not familiar with Coleman or Samsung, but, as I recall a 20A circuit is required for a frig. 20AX120V=2400Watts so you should have plenty of power, unless you've loaded it up with AC's, etc. Isn't Samsung the one you have to push a reset or something after a power interruption so it'll start?

If you have a voltmeter, measure the output voltage (ideally at the same receptacle the extension is plugged in) while the frig is trying to start and report back. "Heavy duty" extension cord in this application should be at least 14 but preferably 12 gauge wire, depending on the length.

FWIW, I power a "side by side" frig and a large upright freezer and assorted lights, tv, etc. with a 3250W unit.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will be along shortly.

Good luck,
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

At the time I had nothing else drawing off the generator. One cord off it directly to the fridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
You should have plenty of power available. I run our simple 14 year old fridge off a 2000W-peak inverter generator, with other things running as well.

If the generator has an auto-idle function, disable that before plugging in the fridge. Make sure the generator is running at the fast RPM, not the lower idle RPM. Worst case, have the generator already running a lamp or something, to get the generator out of idle mode, and up to full speed.

It's possible that the fridge doesn't like the quality of the incoming power. I've heard people say that some modern furnaces may not run off typical "contractor" generators, and that some are sensitive enough that they need an inverter generator to run properly. But hopefully that's not the case here.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Is the Coleman Model PM0435005? It looks like it's capable of a full 20A at each of the 120V outlets, so as long as the cord is large enough (12 gauge?) to supply the full current, it should be able to run any "normal" fridge. What's the model number of the Samsung? The digital models I looked up all seem to be 10Amp units, or 1200Watts. Starting Watts can be up to 3x that, or about 3600Watts. You SHOULD be OK...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replyís guys. The Generator is a Coleman powerbase 5000 with a 10 hp tecumseh motor. Pc0525302.05 or 93390396. The fridge is a Rf22inctasr. I was using a 12 ga cord. The generator doesnít seem to have an idle. Itís pretty much wide open once you start it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditmatt View Post
thanks for the reply’s guys. The Generator is a Coleman powerbase 5000 with a 10 hp tecumseh motor. Pc0525302.05 or 93390396. The fridge is a Rf22inctasr. I was using a 12 ga cord. The generator doesn’t seem to have an idle. It’s pretty much wide open once you start it.
OK, that older PC0525302.05 only has 15Amp 120V receptacles, so it may be borderline for your fridge. Try a split-leg 120V cord from the L14-20 connector like this:

Your Rf22inctasr fridge has a digital inverter compressor. The digital inverter allows the speed of the compressor to be controlled so that it starts slowly, increases its speed and once the desired temperature is reached, it can slow down to maintain the desired temperature rather than turning completely off. So maybe what you're seeing is completely normal...

Here's the generator manual insert if you don't have it: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...?page=1#manual

Last edited by tabora; 09-09-2019 at 06:54 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Iím going to pick one up and give it a try!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I hope you'll have more success with the other outlet, but I'm not holding my breath. If the compressor is variable speed, then perhaps it's programmed to ramp up the speed slowly anyhow, to be smoother & less noticeable. If so, I would expect a gradual start to draw less amps than a normal fridge.

With a Kill-A-Watt, or similar meter, you could check how many amps the fridge draws during startup, on utility power.

Have you checked the AC voltage coming from the generator? That's easy enough, at least. Checking frequency of the power would be nice too, but that is tougher to do without a Kill-A-Watt, or tachometer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Also, here's some info on troubleshooting inverter compressor fridges... https://appliantology.org/blogs/entr...refrigerators/

The Kill-A-Watt will help here, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page