Pulsar PG2000is Volts good, Amps low - Page 2 - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I've never dug into that, but I've also never needed to use the 12V output from my generators, either. Don't know whether it would limit anything based on DC usage. But even if it did, the DC wouldn't use much of your capacity. Even 10A of DC (the most my cigarette lighter outlet can supply) would still only be 120W.

From units I've had, that DC output is typically unregulated voltage, and is really intended just for charging batteries, not so much for running cigarette-lighter style loads.

Agreed.

This particular generator actually has a Cigarette lighter socket as it's 12v DC receptacle.
I would prefer it had a Honda style plug because I find that when the unit is running, the vibration tends to shake the connection loose repeatedly.
This may be the only poor design choice of this unit.
If Pulsar changed it to a plug and actually provided a small DC battery charging cable with the unit it would be a very big plus.

To clarify - I'm not a Predator, but one of my Generators IS
HarborFreight Predator 3500 Inverter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I've never dug into that, but I've also never needed to use the 12V output from my generators, either. Don't know whether it would limit anything based on DC usage. But even if it did, the DC wouldn't use much of your capacity. Even 10A of DC (the most my cigarette lighter outlet can supply) would still only be 120W.

From units I've had, that DC output is typically unregulated voltage, and is really intended just for charging batteries, not so much for running cigarette-lighter style loads.

I doubt now that the DC connection had anything to do with it. It was the faulty small portable heater.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Finally got around to getting the Pulsar PG2000is on the Oscilloscope.

Results?
BEAUTIFUL!
Perfect clean Sine waveform (as good as my Honda Inverter generator)

https://i.imgur.com/LzS1iNn.mp4

Last edited by Predator; 09-01-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I went on an email spree and emailed pretty much all the Chinese manufacturers asking who makes their generator engines. Pulsar responded by saying it was Ducar. I don't know who Ducar is, so perhaps they are one of the better ones?? No idea.

I'm really interested in finding a review of the new WEN 56380i. I have my eye on that.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh View Post
I went on an email spree and emailed pretty much all the Chinese manufacturers asking who makes their generator engines. Pulsar responded by saying it was Ducar. I don't know who Ducar is, so perhaps they are one of the better ones?? No idea.
I'm really interested in finding a review of the new WEN 56380i. I have my eye on that.
Don't know anything about the WEN generator but it seems very close in specs to the HarborFreight Predator 3500. Both have the 212cc motor.
Also, you "Can" push the Predator to a few hundred more watts, so maybe WEN is simply not expressing any margin for overload?

It's probably as good as most inexpensive Chinese made Inverter Generators I would imagine.

I would summarize to say, however, that the days of expensive, good quality Inverter generators are over (for now)
I paid $965.00 US for my Honda eu2000i generator about 10 years ago.

The Pulsar Inverter generator pictured in this thread was $320 BRAND NEW DELIVERED !
That was during an online sale. I think now they're about $100 more.
But still....

The Chinese have built millions of small engines not only for the scooter industry, but also for Honda, Yamaha and pretty much every one else so they have gained the expertise to build very reliable and yet very inexpensive motors. (something to consider from a military perspective)

Keep in mind when you buy a generator that it's not only power power output that matters, but for how long. In a disaster, you could lose not only power, but also the availability to replenish your fuel supply. So stretching your fuel supply is an important strategy.

That's why from my perspective, having several small (2000watt) generators which sip fuel very conservatively and can be paralleled is possibly favorable over one 4000watt generator.
Also, you have redundancy...two generators instead of one in case of failure. Of course, having several small generators AND a larger one is also great if the budget can manage it.

Of course, ymmv
RedOctobyr likes this.

Last edited by Predator; 09-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page