Premium Gas in Honda EU2200i? - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Premium Gas in Honda EU2200i?

Is there any reason not to use premium in this generator, other than the cost? Will it operate any differently?

I'm asking because every so often I would like to put the can of gas into a car that requires premium, and buy fresh gas. The manual says 86 octane or higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Probably not, most regular gas is 87 octane, mid grade 88-90 and premium 91-94. I have the earlier EU2000 generators, wish I had known about the EU2200 coming out and waited a few months and gotten it. I use alcohol free gas in mine which is 89 octane and no problems. I use that gas in all my small equipment, including the big lawn mower and generator which each has a 25 hp engine. I am running mid range in everything with no long term problems, my chain saw is pushing 30 years old and still going strong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You're talking about a gallon or so of fuel? When your car gas gauge is between 3/4 and F put it in. Depending on the size of your gas tank, may drop the octane a few points. No worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmar View Post
You're talking about a gallon or so of fuel? When your car gas gauge is between 3/4 and F put it in. Depending on the size of your gas tank, may drop the octane a few points. No worries.
Quite right. But it's actually my wife's car. I felt the choice was to try to explain putting regular into her premium-only tank, or spend an extra buck on premium and simplify the discussion. It wasn't a hard call.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM
KRE

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolworker View Post
Is there any reason not to use premium in this generator, other than the cost? Will it operate any differently?

I'm asking because every so often I would like to put the can of gas into a car that requires premium, and buy fresh gas. The manual says 86 octane or higher.
The higher octane is good an has less ethanol. I would only run 100% gas if you can get it near you, as most rope start gensets are forgotten about until needed. One of the best things to do is after running it, shut the gas off before stopping it, then as it starts to slow down from lack of fuel, add choke until it will not run any more. If your using 100% gas it will start 9 months to a year later w/o issue once the gas is back on.

Once you know how a device, system, ect operates, finding the root cause in the event chain is easy. Until then, you will always be chasing/repairing the effects. Learning is a life time event, if you want to outsmart, whatever item you want to repair.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRE View Post
One of the best things to do is after running it, shut the gas off before stopping it, then as it starts to slow down from lack of fuel, add choke until it will not run any more.
The EU2200i off-on switch has a third position to do just that. What does adding the choke do?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Nice, the 2000i doesn't have a fuel shutoff position. Adding choke helps it keep running a little longer, as the bowl empties, and the engine starts running lean. Helps get more gas out of the carb.

If the 2200i still has a bowl drain, you can also drain the bowl before long term storage, which is more effective at emptying the bowl.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it still has a bowl drain. For storage over 2 months the manual recommends draining the bowl, then removing the spark plug wire and pulling the starter handle to drain the fuel pump.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Or...just add 1/10 oz StaBil BLUE per gallon, for ethanol fuels. Solves the moisture problem AND the ethanol issue.

To clarify - I'm not a Predator, but one of my Generators IS
HarborFreight Predator 3500 Inverter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page