User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hooking Up a Generator

I live in Northern CA (Redwood Valley).

I just bought a WEN DF1100T 11,000/8,300-Watt 120V/240V Dual Fuel Portable Generator, because of PGE’s plans to turn off power in cases of fires. Power could be off 5 days or more, so they say. After the last two years, they have to do something different and shutting down grids makes sense.

GENERATOR:
https://wenproducts.com/collections/...able-generator

The generator has a 120/Volt 30A and a 120V/240V 50A outlet. I know it has others for extension cords.

My panel is a GE 100 watt. It has 2 double 60A, 1 double 30A and 8 single 20A breakers. In the event of a black out I would use 1 of the 60A (well connected to a sub-panel), the 30A (home, no major electric appliances used; hot water—propane, heat-wood) and 2 20A breakers.

I plan to install a plug receptacle to the panel, a double 50A circuit breaker and a generator/panel interlocking switch. Then connect to the generator (grounded by its self) to the 120v/240 receptacle with a 8 gage extension cord to the panel receptacle.

Or should I use the 120/V/ 30A with a double 30A circuit breaker in the panel with #10 gage wire instead? I would rather be overkill than under, just in case.

Obviously I am not an Electrician, but I know my way around different types of electrical wiring and panels. I am a retired Painting Contractor and have been around the Trades most of my life. I know what I need to know about all the Trades

Thanks for any clarification and or advice about my installation project.
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM
KRE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Use the 120/240 50 amp outlet on the genset. That way you will be able to power some of your 240 loads if the genset will pull them. Make absolutely sure you install an test the interlock device before you ever hook the generator up to your load panel. 8300 watts will power a number of things but not all at once. If you water heater is electric that by it's self could be upwards of 4500 watts alone, so if you want to power it 24/7 that's not an issue depending what else your powering at the same time. Most people will shut the water heater off after using it, so they can cook ect. shut off the heater if you have well water or shut off the well pump as with the heater running an the well pump trying to start the gen set may have issues with both at the same time. If you can you can install amp meters at/near the load panel after a while you'll get to know what devices you can power at the same time. All that said I would not load the unit over 6000 watts steady state just encase you flip on a microwave or the freg or deep freeze kick on. Remember a deep freeze will hold it's temp much longer if you know before hand an can install 3-4 25lb blocks of ice an don't open it any more than required. The frig the same way, put one in the freezer an another in the lower compartment, but even then you will need to power it up about every 3-5 hrs depending. A trick you can do in the freezers is freeze a plastic cup full of water then lay a penny on top, an place it at the highest point in the unit. If it starts to thaw out the penny will change location an warn you.

HTH
Kenneth

Once you know how a device, system, ect operates, finding the root cause in the event chain is easy. Until then, you will always be chasing/repairing the effects. Learning is a life time event, if you want to outsmart, whatever item you want to repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page