Generac GP 3250 schematic - Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Generac GP 3250 schematic

Anyone know where I can get a schematic for a GP 3250? Specifically, I'm interested in if the head has only one winding/output. I know it's only 120VAC, but that's broken into two breakers and outlets. I "might" want to make a cord so I can feed that into the Reliance PB-30 inlet box so as to feed both sides of the distribution panel. We use no 220 in outage conditions and the 3250 can handle the needed loads. I think the head has only one 120V winding, but if there's two, don't want to overload just one side. I know I could pull off the endcap and see what's there, but being a retired engineer (utility) I like to see a schematic first.

Answering the obvious,No, not going to use a "suicide cord," the connector for the inlet box will probably cost as much as I paid for the little genset 12 years ago. I have a 5500W with appropriate connections and cabling but living out in the country, be nice to have a spare.

Thanks,

Ev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I got the L14-30 (?) plugs that I needed fairly reasonably on eBay, when I needed to build my own cable.

I don't have a schematic, sorry. But could you start by checking for continuity across the two hot contacts of the two outlets? If there's continuity, I'd guess they're a single winding.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Good idea on checking continuity, I did check between the two "hot" sides of the plugs when running and got 0V. Good idea on Ebay, just checked and I might just get a L14-30 receptacle and build a short piece to plug in the regular cord. Just started "imagineering" this, much better than a separate cord.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Just checked continuity between the two hots and it seems to be a single winding. Jokes on me, talk about dumb question, to get 3250W out of this unit have to use both breakers, really overthought this one. So, two 120V plugs, short length of wire and a 220V receptacle and I'd done. Won't have a ground, but the head is grounded to the neutral and the house ground and neutral is bonded in the panel.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
According to info on the Generac site, this generator has a split winding, with each 120v circuit able to supply half the capacity of the generator, and 240v across the two of them. Even though it is 3250w, that is only 1625w per 120v leg, or 13.5A. If the generator had a 120/240 - 120v switch, you could combine the two windings for 27A at 120v, but this generator does not have that feature.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
But he measured 0V across the hot contacts while running. Wouldn't that imply they're 120V on a single phase?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Tabora, this GP 3250 is at least 12 years old. I looked at the Genrac site and they still offer them, however mine has two 120V outlets, the new one has one 120V outlet and one 220V. As I said, read across the hot contacts and got 0V, so if there's 220V in that head, it was never brought out.

I figured out my answer and have already ordered two plugs and one receptacle, so am good.

Thanks for the response.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmar View Post
Tabora, this GP 3250 is at least 12 years old.
Ah... That's where the specific Generac model number would have made it clear. The current 49-State unit is Model 5982-1 UPC: 69647159823. What is yours?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Tabora, the issue is resolved. My original post stated that the unit was at least 12 years old.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmar View Post
Tabora, the issue is resolved. My original post stated that the unit was at least 12 years old.
Well, fine then... I was just trying to gather additional information that might help someone else in the future. "12 years old" does not mean "entirely different" with many lines of OPE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Power Equipment Forum : Power Equipment Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page